Law School Discussion

The plot thickens... (UT TROLLS CLICK HERE)

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: The plot thickens...
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 03:13:42 PM »
Go to UT! Their law library is 1000 times better than Tulane's. I work at the UT Law library and visited Tulane's when I was there. If you're going to spend your entire first year studying, you'd much rather do it at UT. Trust me on this one.

As another bonus, there is always free food and free stuff in UT Law's atrium. The bus system is fantastic. Apartments are cheaper in Austin. Parking is sooooo easy compared to NOLA (at least for me it was, NOLA gave me hell). Low crime rate( unconfirmed, I've just never had any problems or heard of anyone who has). Cmon! UT is the best!

It's got to be lower than NOLA's these days! 

I think from a QOL aspect, Austin beats reconstructing NOLA

ProfessorPlum

• Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 03:43:38 PM »
Lets not get started on Tulane's reach, but they have been a little tight on scholarship money for me...

Please, let's get started on Tulane's reach.  I would be interested to hear what your impressions are.  What are your career goals?

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 03:52:18 PM »
Who doesn't like Austin?   ???

Those evil people who are constantly trying to "Make Austin Normal"

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 04:09:18 PM »
Has any mentioned the whole "hurricane and subsequent collapse of civilization" factor? Tulane loses pretty big in that respect.

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 04:48:58 PM »
Has any mentioned the whole "hurricane and subsequent collapse of civilization" factor? Tulane loses pretty big in that respect.

I think from a QOL aspect, Austin beats reconstructing NOLA

;)

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 05:55:33 PM »
I will leave it at...Tulane does not suffer from the same regionality that most T30-T50 schools do.  It certainly does not travel as well as UT though...(I want to work in Texas anyways)

Look at the crime rate compared to other major cities, also look where the crime is, don't believe the media hype.

I hate longhorn undergrads and their domination of Austin. I think the area surrounding Austin is beautiful though, but I would not be living out there.  There is no way you will convince me that the Austin bar/music scene is any greater than the NOLA scene.

Stop making me defend Tulane, make me like UTexas! 

QOL for me will be much better in NOLA - Anyone absolutely love UT?  Anyone love the atmosphere/fellow students?  Give me the stories of these SCOTUS clerks?

I know I suck at this thread...

ProfessorPlum

• Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 07:07:48 PM »
Stop making me defend Tulane, make me like UTexas! 

We're just trying to convince you to take a better deal to a better school!  Of course, if you know that UT is not for you and Tulane is, no one besides you can decide that.

I don't know what your career goals are, but Texas will give you an opportunity to work at firms that you would have to be first in your class at Tulane to have a chance at.  Do an attorney search at any of the top firms in the world, and you will find that most have at least several Texas grads, and if any have Tulane grads, it's usually one or two.  Texas will also be better if you want to obtain a clerkship or teach law.

If you want to live and work in Texas, you really can't go to a better school than UT.  And they're showing how much they want you by giving you so much money!

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 07:57:25 PM »
I will leave it at...Tulane does not suffer from the same regionality that most T30-T50 schools do.  It certainly does not travel as well as UT though...(I want to work in Texas anyways)

Unless that was a typo, I can't see wanting to work in Texas and then passing up the flagship school of the state for a school in Louisiana.

Plus, Austin is not a typical college town, its a state capital.  Although the university is there, so are courts, LARGE law firms, and professionals.  Great job opportunities, relatively low COL, a progressive city (for Texas), and isn't one Catagory 5 away from elimination. 

Am I missing something?  ???

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 08:16:39 PM »
This has to be flame. No one that can get into UT can be this dense.

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 09:29:51 PM »
I am a 1L at Tulane, procrastinating instead of studying for finals for a few minutes...

I think that you should consider what your job opportunities would be if you end up in the middle of the class.  I know, I know, you are smart, you will work harder than everyone, you have a high lsat...blah blah...But, you never know what will happen - you could have a personal crisis, grading can be somewhat arbitrary, hell, you might just not do as well as you think.

So, from personal experience talking to actual student (not career services) - the middle of the class at Tulane has pretty decent job opportunities - small to medium sized firms, government, etc.  Not bad, but then again, not amazing either.

I have no idea what opportunities the middle of the class at Texas has, but I would be willing to guess that they are pretty damn good, especially if you want to stay in Texas.

Just an idea, but contact Tulane's career services, and ask for the email of someone who did their "Katrina semester" at UT - there are a bunch of people (rising 3Ls) that did, and see what they have to say.

My $0.02 - don't go to lawschool somewhere you know you will hate - it will be a miserable experience.  That said, also go somewhere that gives you the best opportunities when you graduate.  After all, that is the whole point of this all.

I like Tulane, and I absolutly love New Orleans, but personally, if I had the choice, I would have gone to Texas.

I love Austin.

But what the hell do I know.  Do what makes you happy.