Law School Discussion

The plot thickens... (UT TROLLS CLICK HERE)

botbot

• View Profile
The plot thickens... (UT TROLLS CLICK HERE)
« on: May 04, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »
Hey this is Mrs. Botbot

Today UTexas threw me a curve ball by offering a scholarship.  Total cost of UT is now less than $36,000.  Total cost of Tulane is about $50,000...

I am still 99% at Tulane next year, but I really wish I didn't open that stupid envelope.

UT trolls, convince me of its greatness!

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
Re: The plot thickens...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
Do I understand correctly: UT costs 24k less total than Tulane (in your situation), and yet you still want to go to Tulane? You must have some really specific reasons. Please share. I don't understand this at all. Thanks

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:36:31 PM »
Do I understand correctly: UT costs 24k less total than Tulane (in your situation), and yet you still want to go to Tulane? You must have some really specific reasons. Please share. I don't understand this at all. Thanks

Don't like Austin or UT, love NOLA and fiance (he says go to UT).

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »
Last time I checked $50k - $36k = $14k, not $24k.

Not that you've been sitting around waiting for my advice, but if you feel the way you do, go to Tulane. You know just as well as anyone else here that UT is a somewhat better school, but Tulane isn't bad. Follow your instinct.

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »

Not that you've been sitting around waiting for my advice, but if you feel the way you do, go to Tulane. You know just as well as anyone else here that UT is a somewhat better school, but Tulane isn't bad. Follow your instinct.

Ha - I'm an idiot.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »

Thanks KeNo, I am just kind of hoping to get a UT troll to preach on its greatness.  ;)

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:47:17 PM »

Thanks KeNo, I am just kind of hoping to get a UT troll to preach on its greatness.  ;)

I am a great UT Troll, but now that you know I can't count, I fear you will look askance.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 01:47:28 PM »
I suck at being a troll for schools I've never been at :p

And that's just an honest mistake leo, could happen to anyone :p

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 01:51:57 PM »

I am a great UT Troll, but now that you know I can't count, I fear you will look askance.

Please troll it up!

leostrauss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 01:56:59 PM »
To begin, the faculty at UT is clearly superior. The curriculum is broader. There are far more offerings in terms of clinics and the like. There are more clerkship opportunities by far. Top 20. Less money. Higher avg salary coming out etc.

To address NOLA v Austin: Louisiana law school education could potentially (though it will not necessarily) limit your ability to excel as a lawyer. Of all states, Louisiana is the most obscure in its legal system and thus in its system of legal education (Napolean . . . come on!). UT, on the other hand, opens every door. I work accross the hall from a person who went to UT Law and clerked for a SCOTUS justice. Know any similar from Tulane? Good school, it may be, but it is clearly going to limit you in comparison to the JD from UT.