Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: who won the REPUBLICAN DEBATE???  (Read 4044 times)

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
Re: who won the REPUBLICAN DEBATE???
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
You realize that only 11 minutes elapsed between your original post and your follow up response to your original post.  Perhaps you should give it some more time before expecting people to respond.  Anyway, I really didn't watch it, my guess was that the viewpoints between 10 white republicans wouldn't differ that much (except for Giuliani).  I will probably vote for Kucinich.

racist much?

And sexist?
oh everybody is.

Qui Ju

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »
You realize that only 11 minutes elapsed between your original post and your follow up response to your original post.  Perhaps you should give it some more time before expecting people to respond.  Anyway, I really didn't watch it, my guess was that the viewpoints between 10 white republicans wouldn't differ that much (except for Giuliani).  I will probably vote for Kucinich.

racist much?

And sexist?
oh everybody is.

yes.  and either homophobic or homophobephobic.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2007, 04:25:59 PM »
I like Hillary's stance on most of the issues, but I'm nervous about the whole Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton thing.

I was about ready to buy myself a Richardson bumper sticker, but then I saw his performance in the debate....

But this is the thread about Republicans, so I should prolly STFU now.  ;)

You won't like it once you need to wait three years for medical care... Nationalized Health doesn't work. Sorry.

Hillary  == Pandering for power.

I like that at least one candidate forming SOME plan to do something about healthcare. I work in the health insurance industry, and I can tell you that the whole concept of getting health coverage through your employer will be history in a few decades. It just doesn't work.

People may not like it, but it's time to start getting used to the idea.

It has worked for quite a while now... could it be better? Sure. If the economics of it don't work for a private company's bottom line though, I seriously doubt that the federal government is going to do much better. National Health will become yet another mis-managed federal entitlement program.

VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2007, 04:49:30 PM »
the whole healthcare-through-employer thing does annoy me.  stupid making american businesses uncompetitive. 

It was a good idea 50 years ago when people worked for the same employer their entire adult lives.

Companies were never required to provide health benefits, they offered them on their own to their employees, and most people have come to rely upon that. It isn't designed as a system for job-hoppers, because that isn't in the interest of the companies offering the benefits.

If you intend to job-hop, you should get a plan on your own. You ARE allowed to call up AFLAC and sign yourself up without the boss signing off on it.

Perhaps that is the system of the future -- let everyone do their own thing. If your company wants to reimburse your costs, then they can do so.

I am not an expert on health insurance, and I won't claim to be, I just know this:

1) Large Government entitlement programs have a history of creating massive government debt and high taxes.

2) Nationalized Healthcare works great if you need a flu shot or you have emergency room needs, but if you have an on-going health issue (cancer, if you need surgery), you will not recieve the same level of care as you currently will.

My uncle in the UK needed a pacemaker, for example. He was put on a waiting list to get the procedure that was so long that he probably would've killed him. He had to go to a private doctor outside of the country to get the procedure.

In National Health countries, the quality of service is low. Those who have some money can go elsewhere to a doctor and get surgery or long-term care -- everyone else is S.O.L.

But hey, IT SOUNDS GOOD. A chicken in every pot, right? I can promise to give every American One Million Dollars, would you vote for me?
VIP.

ErwinChemerinsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2007, 04:52:19 PM »

racist much?

I'm white.
HLS '10

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »
the whole healthcare-through-employer thing does annoy me.  stupid making american businesses uncompetitive. 

It was a good idea 50 years ago when people worked for the same employer their entire adult lives.

Companies were never required to provide health benefits, they offered them on their own to their employees, and most people have come to rely upon that. It isn't designed as a system for job-hoppers, because that isn't in the interest of the companies offering the benefits.

If you intend to job-hop, you should get a plan on your own. You ARE allowed to call up AFLAC and sign yourself up without the boss signing off on it.

Perhaps that is the system of the future -- let everyone do their own thing. If your company wants to reimburse your costs, then they can do so.

I am not an expert on health insurance, and I won't claim to be, I just know this:

1) Large Government entitlement programs have a history of creating massive government debt and high taxes.

2) Nationalized Healthcare works great if you need a flu shot or you have emergency room needs, but if you have an on-going health issue (cancer, if you need surgery), you will not recieve the same level of care as you currently will.

My uncle in the UK needed a pacemaker, for example. He was put on a waiting list to get the procedure that was so long that he probably would've killed him. He had to go to a private doctor outside of the country to get the procedure.

In National Health countries, the quality of service is low. Those who have some money can go elsewhere to a doctor and get surgery or long-term care -- everyone else is S.O.L.

But hey, IT SOUNDS GOOD. A chicken in every pot, right? I can promise to give every American One Million Dollars, would you vote for me?

People don't usually INTEND to job-hop. They get fired and laid off.

I'll give my detailed anlysis on what's wrong with getting your insurance through your employer tomorrow when I get back into work.

Hopefully someone replies to the thread and it shows up in my unreads so I don't have to search.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2007, 09:47:48 PM »

People don't usually INTEND to job-hop. They get fired and laid off.

I'll give my detailed anlysis on what's wrong with getting your insurance through your employer tomorrow when I get back into work.

Hopefully someone replies to the thread and it shows up in my unreads so I don't have to search.

:-*

I think you're misspeaking though when you say there is something "wrong" with getting insurance through one's employer.  Many people get healthcare through their employer just fine; it's the ones whose employer doesn't give out benefits or who can't afford it on their own who are hurt (although I'm not sure if they would benefit from national healthcare in the long run anyway). 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

scooby21322

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cmschube
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/login.php
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2007, 03:59:07 AM »
It seems both systems are flawed.  On the one hand you have some people who aren't covered at all.  However, the quality of healthcare is great. 

On the other hand, nobody has quality healthcare, but everyone gets the healthcare. Oh, and more taxes. 

If both systems are flawed, I'll stick with less taxes and good doctors until somebody comes up with an idea that would work.

Now, if we could just get some tort reform to get the expenses down.  Maybe then more people could afford to go to the doctor?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2007, 04:04:14 AM »
blah, blah, blah.

raise hand if not believe in evolution!

Boyce Baylor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile