Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: washington and lee  (Read 1731 times)

dr_draino

Re: washington and lee
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 01:28:57 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean that comment to be directed directly at you M2...just a general broad statement.

I never said I would sit arond and complain... in fact I just wouldn't go.

Nightclubs are as important to me as mountains...
Sushi is as important as rivers are...if not a little more important.

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 09:02:01 PM »
FOR ANYONE STILL READING THIS THREAD,

I have some special insight into W&L and Lexington.  My father teaches at the law school, and I grew up in Lexington.

The only reason I'm not applying there is that it is, of course, too close to home, and I'm not sure I'd appreciate whatever conflict of interest might develop out of my life-long connection to the place.  However, whenever I go back there, I think, "Goddammit, I wish there were another W&L to apply to."  It's really a beautiful area.  The town of Lexington and the university are full of genuinely nice, nurturing, intelligent folks.  When I went to college, I left Lexington for its polar opposite; that is, New Haven, CT.  It's funny to me that everybody on this discussion board wants so desperately to get to New Haven.  So in response to all that, I'll just say that if for some reason Lexington had an Ivy, New Haven wouldn't be looking so hot.

If there are any other specific questions about W&L, I'd be happy to field them.  I know every inch of that place like the back of my hand.
Stanford '08.  Fo' shizzle.

LongTallVal

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 09:08:19 PM »
Muppet -
I'm in new haven now too, and looking at going to W&L next year (and out of this noise-polluted city).  What do you know about their international law program, and also placement at firms in DC area after graduation?

Muppet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 09:32:41 PM »
Val,

Well, W&L's strength is not international law.  It has made some new hires to try to improve in that area, but as of right now, it's much more of a constitutional law, torts law, and writing school.  They really stress legal writing there -- it's their claim to fame.

Regarding placement, I remember TONS of my dad's students getting in to DC firms.  Lexington is about a three-hour drive from DC, which may seem far, but when you consider that DC is the closest metropolitan area, it's actually quite the place to go afterwards.

And, unlike New Haven, crickets actually chirp at night in Lexington.  Living on High Street for four years, I had forgotten that crickets even existed.

Go Branford.

Muppet -
I'm in new haven now too, and looking at going to W&L next year (and out of this noise-polluted city).  What do you know about their international law program, and also placement at firms in DC area after graduation?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2004, 09:47:59 PM »
It's funny to me that everybody on this discussion board wants so desperately to get to New Haven. 

Poeple don't want to get to New Haven; they want to get to Yale.  Yale just happens to be in New Haven.  As I've said many times, if Yale moved to Siberia, I'd still want to go there.  And I don't tolerate the cold very well.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

LongTallVal

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 09:57:36 PM »

And, unlike New Haven, crickets actually chirp at night in Lexington.  Living on High Street for four years, I had forgotten that crickets even existed.

Go Branford.

Thanks for the info.  I have forgotten about crickets as well, coming from a small town in "Lower Alabama".  Glad I have never had a problem with white noise.

yeah Stiles.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 10:09:40 PM »
I live in NYC and can't wait to get out of this godforsaken place.  Sooo happy I got a fee waiver from W&L. 

Muppet- do you know if the Admissions Committee honestly looks closely at other factors besides the numbers? 
Fed gov't atty

Muppet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 11:18:44 PM »
I am almost positive that W&L does NOT fall under the "LSAT-whore" category.  Their ranking has slipped a tad recently, mainly due to the fact that they're being overtaken by the WashU.s of the world.  And while there is a noticeable anxiety in Lexington about making sure the law school retains its stature, it's always been evident to me that they've made sure to gather a good mix of backgrounds.  (The same can't necessarily be said for W&L undergrad, I should note... still a lot of good ol' boys over there)

I think the personal statement truly matters at W&L.  Like I said, they're a writing-first school.  A good PS will turn their attention, even if you're stats aren't spectacular.

I hope this helped!

I live in NYC and can't wait to get out of this godforsaken place.  Sooo happy I got a fee waiver from W&L. 

Muppet- do you know if the Admissions Committee honestly looks closely at other factors besides the numbers? 

Muppet

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 11:26:08 PM »
Poeple don't want to get to New Haven; they want to get to Yale. 

TDPook,

Just an afterthought: remember your Shakespeare, and don't get too hung up on a name (namely, 'Yale').  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 01:03:33 AM »
Poeple don't want to get to New Haven; they want to get to Yale. 

TDPook,

Just an afterthought: remember your Shakespeare, and don't get too hung up on a name (namely, 'Yale').  "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Hee hee, that's true.  I think Yale would be a good place for me, and not only because of its name.  Seems like it has a great culture and school philosophy, with the no letter grades and stuff.  I probably won't get in anywhere, and I'll go somewhere else, and I'll be perfectly happy there.  I just really want Yale :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?