Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: There is nothing wrong with Tier 3 law schools  (Read 22553 times)

Nontradloserwhoattendsatier2onstudentloansheis

• You're the only friends I have.
    • View Profile
Re: There is nothing wrong with Tier 3 law schools
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
My pre-law salary- $37K. My post-law school salary= $40K if I were in the same career. 10 years down the road? Maybe $50K. Even a T3 would give me a quicker ROI than 15 years.

I guess for you it makes sense then.

The median salary for people with a bachelor's degree in the US is $38K for women and around $51K for men. I'd say it makes sense for most people since coming out of law school you'll probably make that much to start. You are just out of touch with reality.

That nincompoop thinks he really has to pay the $1,700 monthly student loan payments. That's just the man trying to scare you. You don't have to really pay that sh*t. Throw that bill in the motherfucking trash.
I didn't get good grades, didn't make law review and continue to fail at life. So why am I qualified to give you advice? Because you're a T2/3/4 student.

strongmace

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
That nincompoop thinks he really has to pay the $1,700 monthly student loan payments. That's just the man trying to scare you. You don't have to really pay that sh*t. Throw that bill in the motherfucking trash.

Dude, you're a retard.
Attending: Catholic

Accepted: Catholic, Richmond, U Baltimore
Waitlisted: U Maryland, American
Denied: Mason, GW, Georgetown, W&M

Major: Civil Engineering
Minor: Rhetoric
LSAT: 159
GPA: 3.4

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2007, 02:36:47 PM »

Dude, you're a retard.

Most people at T3/T4 schools don't have $1700/month loan payments. That's really on the high end in any situation, but as a whole, T3/4 schools are not as expensive as T1 schools.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2007, 02:57:56 PM »
See, this is the problem with you retarded prestige whores. If it isn't a big firm, it's not a job right? For the 794th time - we know that if you want to be an associate at Wachtell you need to go to a top school. Stop beating the dead horse, you have nothing new to add to a discussion - ever.

You're still not getting it now are you.

If somebody is ok with an approximately 15 year time to ROI going in, good for them.  But the point is that it will take a looooooong time to get back to the place you would have been without law school.

I don't get in to a top school, I go to a startup after doing my time in corp america, I'm not in any hole in any case.

Looooser alert

Look, you don't want it bad enough. Let me tell you how I got my sweet twelve (12) dollar ($) an hour job. I was balls to the wall. I went into it with the attitude that I would suck a herpetic male private part for an offer. I wanted it bad. I handed out resumes in the lobby to get my job. You can't just expect oh see eye to hook you up. You have to want it.

i may be working for 12 bucks an hour, but i will *always* own you.

always.

you could be chief justice of the f-ing supreme court, and you would still be my b!tch

anytime, anywhere, you dipdunk no-load pencil necked little geek.

non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2007, 03:04:43 PM »
The median salary for people with a bachelor's degree in the US is $38K for women and around $51K for men. I'd say it makes sense for most people since coming out of law school you'll probably make that much to start. You are just out of touch with reality.

um.

http://bwnt.businessweek.com/bschools/undergraduate/07rankings/index.asp
http://www.ere.net/blogs/Looking_Toward_the_Future/99F80AB060844B5EB6BAEAAA47C2693C.asp

Mechanical Engineering graduates - $54,587 (up 7.7 percent from last year’s average)
Chemical Engineering graduates - $60, 054 (up 7.4 percent from last year’s average)
Electrical Engineering graduates - $54, 599 (up 3.2 percent from 06)
Computer Science graduates - $51,070 (up 2% from last year’s average starting salary)
Civil Engineering graduates - $47,145
Finance graduates - $47,905
Economics Majors - $51,631

Um.  $51k median?  So what?  Above are STARTING SALARIES.

I wonder what the percentage of engineering/econ majors is to liberal arts majors?

Surely you don't think the average english lit major is going to earn 50K to start?

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
Those top 5 you listed, if they go into IP law, get a significant starting salary boost over other law students. So a law degree is also a significant boost for them as well.

50K is probably high as an undergrad median, but there are far more male engineers than there are females, my school, for instance, had a 20:1 ratio. So males do make more on average, but it is mostly because of they choose the more lucrative degrees.

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »
Those top 5 you listed, if they go into law, get a significant starting salary boost over other law students, at least if they go into IP law.

As far as I can see, apart from one firm in Atlanta, you get $160k across the board, there's no boost in salary to engineers.  Does it show up in bonuses?

No, but you get a $160k job where with another UG major you would have gotten a $120k job.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
Those top 5 you listed, if they go into law, get a significant starting salary boost over other law students, at least if they go into IP law.

As far as I can see, apart from one firm in Atlanta, you get $160k across the board, there's no boost in salary to engineers.  Does it show up in bonuses?

Reading this is actually making me less smart, so I am leaving.

Congrats to everyone, no matter what law school you are going to.  And for the people who just don't get it...well, I do feel sorry for you...

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2007, 03:10:27 PM »
IP lawyers make more in every city, across the board, you would have to search hard for a place where they are not payed more, either at the small, medium or big level. 160K is in the high end of biglaw in NY, for a normal lawyer, it is higher for an IP lawyer there. Perhaps Atlanta is mirroring NY.

Nontradloserwhoattendsatier2onstudentloansheis

• You're the only friends I have.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2007, 03:19:47 PM »
IP lawyers make more in every city, across the board, you would have to search hard for a place where they are not payed more, either at the small, medium or big level. 160K is in the high end of biglaw in NY, for a normal lawyer, it is higher for an IP lawyer there. Perhaps Atlanta is mirroring NY.

Huh?

LA just moved to $160k.
SF and SD will be at $160k soon.
DC won't be able to hold at $145k much longer either.
Chicago is bound to follow Kirkland's lead.

Most major markets will be at $160k for '08.

Your comment is interesting though, I was unaware that biglaw pays IP more.  At best I thought they occasionally got a bigger signing bonus, but the same salary structure.

$160,000 GUARANTEED? WTF BE IP AND HOW DO I GET IT?
I didn't get good grades, didn't make law review and continue to fail at life. So why am I qualified to give you advice? Because you're a T2/3/4 student.