Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYU($$) or Chicago?  (Read 1374 times)

mb83

• View Profile
NYU($$) or Chicago?
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:35:25 PM »
Hi, everyone. I'm hoping to leverage the knowledge of those who have done a lot more research than I have. I have already put down my deposit at NYU and received 50k/60k in scholarship there (depends on whether or not I do PI). I just got off the waitlist at Chicago today (looks like I'm not the only one on the board)and am now faced with a new decision. I welcome all suggestions as to which I should choose.

About me: Interested in constitutional and media law. I'm also interested in public interest although I don't know if I'll do that for a career. If I had to guess, I'd say I'll probably clerk and work for a firm, but I do want to keep my options open and be exposed to a variety of things.

I'm sort of a nerdy academic type but also enjoy having a good time on weekends. I'm not particularly competitive against others and have no interest in being so. It's definitely important to me to go to school with a fairly friendly and supportive atmosphere. But it's also important to go to a school with an academicly engaging environment. I want to be around students who enjoy learning and discussing law for the sake of doing so. Also, I'm fairly liberal. No preference toward NY or Chi. I've lived around both and like both.

And then, there's the NYU scholarship.

Thanks!

////

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: NYU($$) or Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »
NYU by a mile - but I suspect you knew that already!  :P

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 10:42:07 PM »
I say NYU as well.
Columbia 3L

quizzle16

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:28:24 PM »
NYU  ;D

sanskirt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:51:22 PM »
I had a tough time with this decision. I'd say you should at least wait and see what kind of money Chicago throws at you. Living in Chicago could potentially save you up to 10k per year. Their placement also seems to be slightly better (small class size) and is also more national than NYU's (I heard 70% of NYU grads work in the NYC area). Clerkships might be easier to get from Chicago if you're conservative, but if you're liberal I think it's pretty much a wash.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:55:34 PM »
I had a tough time with this decision. I'd say you should at least wait and see what kind of money Chicago throws at you. Living in Chicago could potentially save you up to 10k per year. Their placement also seems to be slightly better (small class size) and is also more national than NYU's (I heard 70% of NYU grads work in the NYC area). Clerkships might be easier to get from Chicago if you're conservative, but if you're liberal I think it's pretty much a wash.

self selection on the bolded.

fwiw, i didn't even apply to NYU but I did apply to Chi.  but from going by the OP, I think NYU would be the way to go...but yea let's see how $ plays out.
Columbia 3L

sanskirt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:58:41 PM »

Not entirely. NYU's rep on the west coast trails Chicago's and is on par with Michigan's. I've heard that NYU students generally get a boost when applying to markets like Chicago and the west coast because so few students choose to go there, but even so its national reputation hasn't caught up to its US News ranking.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 12:01:03 AM »

Not entirely. NYU's rep on the west coast trails Chicago's and is on par with Michigan's. I've heard that NYU students generally get a boost when applying to markets like Chicago and the west coast because so few students choose to go there, but even so its national reputation hasn't caught up to its US News ranking.

Their rep maybe isn't the same as CLS or CHi on the west, but it's still mainly due to self selection.
Columbia 3L

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 12:22:17 AM »
Hey, you're in a fairly similar situation as I am, but my interests are different and I'm not  quite 'liberal.' Admitted from the WL at Chicago today and with some money at NYU ($37,500 though). I'm probably going with Chicago as I have no interest in PI and I have read/heard/felt that NYU stresses that element of their program much more than peer schools and students occasionally attempt to guilt those who have no desire to go down that path. Also, I am considering prospects for academia and clerkships.

If NYU offered me $60k and I had your interests, I'd likely take it...
HLS 2010

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 05:28:16 PM »
Have you visited? I know it's getting late, but I would try to visit both, if you haven't already.

If you still don't have a preference, I'd say NYU, but that's just 'cause I liked it a lot, and it's not the kind of money you sneeze at.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.