Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Waitlist  (Read 24552 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Waitlist
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »
No, Nasche seems perfectly lovely and I'd be delighted to have him join us.  On reread, my comment does seem unreasonably snotty, so my apologies.   

But that's not how Dean Z. operates.  At this point, the waitlist is "still operating" in the sense that they're keeping a small pool of candidates in case of withdrawals.  It's certainly wise to keep her appraised of one's continuing dedication to the school, but all of the campaigning in the world isn't going to make a spot open up.  The whole personal campaign thing is a great idea at the start of the cycle, or even early in the waitlist cycle, but it's sort of silly at this point.  Is is POSSIBLE that a WL candidate could so wow her in person that she'd admit an extra person?  I suppose.  Is it likely?  Not based on my sources. 

No problem, I know you're only looking out for Nasche's best interests.  Moreover, I'm sure you're correct about Dean Z and her operational practices, and Nasche should factor that in.

However, let me just note the above, from your post. Dean Z is keeping the pool alive, in case of withdrawals.  The class may well be filled already aside from withdrawals -- I'm not contesting that.  However, the above facts do imply at least the possiblity of a withdrawals by someone else who, for example, may get off the HYS waitlists.  Presumably, a limited number of such withdrawals will in fact occur, even if they won't be numerous. 

At that point, Dean Z will in fact be looking for someone to fill the slot, right?  And if Nasche has recently popped his smiling head in the door, he's more likely to pop into her head, right? 

Obviously, it's still of course a long shot. I'm just saying that if he wants to maximize his odds of getting in at this point, that's basically the one thing he can do.  I agree that it would be better to do early in the cycle, and Estrich recommends a couple visits, to really drive the point home.  I also see that Nasche is set up with a fine school already, and will probably save some good cash by going there (especially if he's instate).  I'm simply pointing out that if his heart is set on UM, that's one thing he can do to potentially affect the scales somewhat -- assuming he has the time, money, and inclination.  Many students will not, of course.

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 20, 2007, 03:24:15 PM »
Well, I'm a big fan of being called "lovely", so color me flattered.

As for everything else, I think I agree with both of you. I don't think there are any immediate spots that need to be filled, but, in the event that there are, I think that maybe a visit to Michigan would help my prospects in the event of a withdrawal. I'm thrilled to be attending UT, but I'm still going to take the opportunity to maximize my chances, though we'll have to see if time/money allows.

Either way, I'm glad you're both looking out for me.  :)
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA

dontknowwheretogo

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 23, 2007, 12:15:10 AM »
Hey nasche, quick question for you.  I think you said you were in-state @ UT right?  In that case - would you be willing to pay the additional $$$ at UM?  UT is a great school...do you want to practice up north or something?  Maybe the pyschological pain isn't worth it?  I'm just trying to help out - as I can probably think of quite a few scenarios where UT may be preferable over UM (like financial reasons, and wanting to stay in Texas, being afraid of cold weather, etc.)....So maybe it's time to start celebrating?  Again, just trying to help lower the general anxiety of being on the waitlist...

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 23, 2007, 03:43:11 AM »
Hey nasche, quick question for you.  I think you said you were in-state @ UT right?  In that case - would you be willing to pay the additional $$$ at UM?  UT is a great school...do you want to practice up north or something?  Maybe the pyschological pain isn't worth it?  I'm just trying to help out - as I can probably think of quite a few scenarios where UT may be preferable over UM (like financial reasons, and wanting to stay in Texas, being afraid of cold weather, etc.)....So maybe it's time to start celebrating?  Again, just trying to help lower the general anxiety of being on the waitlist...

Heh, while I appreciate it, you're wrong on all counts. I'm out-of-state (though UT will be cheaper after I establish residency), am not sure if I want to stay in Texas, don't mind cold weather, etc. Thanks though.  :D
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 23, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »

Heh, while I appreciate it, you're wrong on all counts. I'm out-of-state (though UT will be cheaper after I establish residency), am not sure if I want to stay in Texas, don't mind cold weather, etc. Thanks though.  :D

UM will definitely place more nationally, but I'll just note that you can always go national from UT if you do well there.  In other words, try for UM, but celebrate anyway.

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 26, 2007, 04:47:40 PM »
fwiw, i was offered a spot a couple of weeks ago and recently declined.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election