Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Waitlist  (Read 24823 times)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Waitlist
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
DO IT!!!!! I did. It is worth it.

Depends where you got in already. Deferring life for another year seems like a waste to me.

True. Well, let's put it this way...if you would discard all of your current schools for Michigan, then do it. The year (less than, actually) went by pretty fast.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »
the following letter doesn't leave a lot of room for asking again as nothing would have changed:

Thank you for the information you have provided regarding your interest in deferred admission.  Dean Zearfoss has had a chance to review your request for a deferral to our 2008 class, and unfortunately, she is unable to offer you a spot in our 2008 entering class.  Deferrals to subsequent years are harder to receive than current year admission offers; because we have to evaluate the candidate without the benefit of knowing what the 2007-2008 applicant pool will look like, we are very conservative about making such offers. With that being said, if you'd like for us to continue considering your materials for a seat in our upcoming 2007 fall class, please let us know and we'd be happy to do so. In the alternative, if you decide to withdraw from this year's waitlist, please just let us know as soon as possible.  In that event, we would be delighted to have you apply in a subsequent year and we'd be happy to give you a fee waiver for that purpose, if you are interested. 

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »
the following letter doesn't leave a lot of room for asking again as nothing would have changed:

Thank you for the information you have provided regarding your interest in deferred admission. Dean Zearfoss has had a chance to review your request for a deferral to our 2008 class, and unfortunately, she is unable to offer you a spot in our 2008 entering class. Deferrals to subsequent years are harder to receive than current year admission offers; because we have to evaluate the candidate without the benefit of knowing what the 2007-2008 applicant pool will look like, we are very conservative about making such offers. With that being said, if you'd like for us to continue considering your materials for a seat in our upcoming 2007 fall class, please let us know and we'd be happy to do so. In the alternative, if you decide to withdraw from this year's waitlist, please just let us know as soon as possible. In that event, we would be delighted to have you apply in a subsequent year and we'd be happy to give you a fee waiver for that purpose, if you are interested.

yikes, they must have really tightened up their process.
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

dontknowwheretogo

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2007, 03:46:12 PM »
law school data seemed to support the notion that it increases your chances quite dramatically...but hmmm maybe it doesn't???  That letter from Zearfoss makes it seem like getting in deferred is harder!  That's quite strange...since they waitlisted me, but then accepted me after I offered to defer.  I even said in my deferrment offer that I would prefer going this year, but I am willing to be considered for next year if there isn't a spot for this year....

Nasche...I was in the EXACT same position as you.  I was accepted at UT , and then this Michigan thing came along...I still don't know if it is the right decision, but I ended up picking UM, despite the significantly higher tuition......

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2007, 03:58:50 PM »
It's the right decision.

It's Michigan.

U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2007, 04:00:33 PM »
law school data seemed to support the notion that it increases your chances quite dramatically...but hmmm maybe it doesn't??? That letter from Zearfoss makes it seem like getting in deferred is harder! That's quite strange...since they waitlisted me, but then accepted me after I offered to defer. I even said in my deferrment offer that I would prefer going this year, but I am willing to be considered for next year if there isn't a spot for this year....

Nasche...I was in the EXACT same position as you. I was accepted at UT , and then this Michigan thing came along...I still don't know if it is the right decision, but I ended up picking UM, despite the significantly higher tuition......

exactly what happened to me, that's why it seemed like asking to defer was actually easier.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »
maybe they just didn't want me unless it's a last resort!

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »
maybe they just didn't want me unless it's a last resort!

it makes no sense if you ask me. if their standards for defered admission really WERE stricter than their regular standards, then why did those people get waitlisted in the first place, hmm? they have also said before that everyone on their waitlist are students they would gladly admit if they had more space. defering into a class that has nothing but space is the simple way to test that. no idea why it works for some and not for others, unless they are holding back on some key info.

EAR159

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »
Just got off of the wait list yesterday. They said they are pretty much at enrollment and risked overenrolling by admitting me, but it still worked out i guess

Nasche

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-Tar for ASWs
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2007, 06:06:43 PM »
Just got off of the wait list yesterday. They said they are pretty much at enrollment and risked overenrolling by admitting me, but it still worked out i guess

Congrats! Relevant stats? I hope to join you, after all.
Attending: UT.
Accepted: BC, BU ($$), Emory ($$$), Fordham ($), U. Iowa, Notre Dame ($$), USC ($$), UT, Tulane ($$$$)
Waitlisted: Columbia, Duke, Michigan, UCLA