Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I dumped a full-ride at Miami for an uncertain spring scholarship at Stetson...  (Read 1352 times)

MachuPicchu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Stetson has one of the best music schools in the southeast, so you will have opportunities to see lots of cheap great concerts. True, the closest major cities are Orlando and Daytona (I will decline to comment--just my personal preferences, here), but you could do a lot worse for location.

I don't think your decision is crazy if you want to end up in Tampa.

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
Stetson has the top-rated trial advocacy program in the nation I believe.  As of this writing, they are both T2 schools.  You already know you want to be in Tampa, not Miami or NYC.  It's probably not the worst decision you've ever made...but I personally can't see turning down a full ride for the prospect of massive debt after graduation.  I care more about debt than prestige anyway, though, so if that's not you then maybe you don't mind the debt. 
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
NALP -
11 Tampa firms OCI at UM
12 Tampa firms OCI at Stetson

19 Miami firms OCI at UM
6 Miami firms OCI at Stetson

As you move around FL, UM pulls way ahead...

Just a heads up...

Every Guy

• View Profile
Stetson has the top-rated trial advocacy program in the nation I believe.  As of this writing, they are both T2 schools.  You already know you want to be in Tampa, not Miami or NYC.  It's probably not the worst decision you've ever made...but I personally can't see turning down a full ride for the prospect of massive debt after graduation.  I care more about debt than prestige anyway, though, so if that's not you then maybe you don't mind the debt. 

Haha, you afraid U.S. News is gonna spring a new ranking out in between now and when the OP reads this post? ;D

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Stetson has one of the best music schools in the southeast, so you will have opportunities to see lots of cheap great concerts. True, the closest major cities are Orlando and Daytona (I will decline to comment--just my personal preferences, here), but you could do a lot worse for location.

I don't think your decision is crazy if you want to end up in Tampa.

Stetson is in Gulfport.

If you want to stay in Tampa I think it's a pretty solid choice. It's more of a central FL school while UM is better for S. Fl.  From what I've seen, UM doesn't really have huge pull in Tampa. Whether that's self-selection or not, having few alumni in a city you're interested in can be a problem.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Actually, I know a few Miami grads who have a successful practice in Tampa. But either way, if you want to be in Tampa, go to school in Tampa and live your life in Tampa. You'll have more opportunities to develop contacts in Tampa while at Stetson and to do internships during 2L school year. Plus if there is a spouse involved, you have him/her to consider, too.
Vanderbilt 2010

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
May I ask what made you turn down the full ride at Miami for Stetson?

I want to settle in Tampa.  My wife and I like it more than Miami (though I in no way dislike Miami).  That's pretty much the reason behind it.

I think this settles it-- you made the right decision! I think it's natural to feel a bit of potential remorse-- this is a BIG decision-- but that will go away I am sure. Tampa is a great place to live (IMO).
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
Actually, I know a few Miami grads who have a successful practice in Tampa. But either way, if you want to be in Tampa, go to school in Tampa and live your life in Tampa. You'll have more opportunities to develop contacts in Tampa while at Stetson and to do internships during 2L school year. Plus if there is a spouse involved, you have him/her to consider, too.

HI "JULIE"!!!!!!
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, I feel better already.

Tampa is too beautiful not to want to live there, so I feel justified in my decision.  As for the debt, I'm hoping to puall out a similar scholarship for spring at Stetson, so hopefully this will be a non-issue in the long run.

Thanks again!
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile

HI "JULIE"!!!!!!

Hi!!! :)
Vanderbilt 2010