Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: *JUST* got into Brooklyn  (Read 5840 times)

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: *JUST* got into Brooklyn
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »
I also got my scholarship upped and will now be attending Brooklyn Law School.  I'm very excited. I just wish I didn't already put $750 down at St. John's.

Yeah I gave $500 to Suffolk already. :-\
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 03:16:55 PM »
Brooklyn still hasn't given me an answer.  I was put on hold for ten minutes and disconnected to learn that my application was still in commitee.  The same as it was months ago.  And the St. Johns deposit is due Friday for me.

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »
Brooklyn still hasn't given me an answer.  I was put on hold for ten minutes and disconnected to learn that my application was still in commitee.  The same as it was months ago.  And the St. Johns deposit is due Friday for me.

Wow that's absurd. You should try calling someone higher up on the food chain in Admissions. The guy I talked to today was very helpful and took a lot of time explaining things for me.
2.8/163

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 06:37:10 PM »
i have a thread in another sub-forum, but i was just accepted last friday.  flew in on tuesday and visited the school today.  i was able to negotiate and get 15k in scholarship money.  i have 14k from santa clara and 20k from USD.  don't know if they'll be able to up it to 20k, which I'd really like.  they said there could be more $$ out there for me.  i'm still not entirely sold on the school--i have to make a decision by tomorrow.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 09:38:31 AM »
Rumor has it that BLS got ALOT less acceptances than they expected and are in a bit of a scramble to fill their 1L class. Your HUGE increase in scholarship money supports that rumor... I wonder if this is a sign of the alleged 'smaller applicant pool' law schools are seeing this year?
Rob
PS: Congrats on BLS... did you visit the school yet?
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

In Infernos Dicet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »
That drop in the rankings this year certainly didn't help the yield. They always been seen as neck to neck with Cardozo and the recent ranking seemed to have convinced many that Cardozo is on its way up while BLS is stagnant (IMHO I'm not sure that is true at all).

I'm currently debating whether I should defer a year. I was recently offered an unexpected promotion at work and I like to save up more money for school. But I'm just afraid BLS won't be able to match my current scholarship amount for next year (no guarantee I will receive the same scholarship amount next year)

Rumor has it that BLS got ALOT less acceptances than they expected and are in a bit of a scramble to fill their 1L class. Your HUGE increase in scholarship money supports that rumor... I wonder if this is a sign of the alleged 'smaller applicant pool' law schools are seeing this year?
Rob

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 12:43:21 PM »
Rob

This explanation seems logical. My numbers make me a borderline candidate - my GPA is well below the 25th percentile, and my LSAT is at about the median. Good, not great.

I don't have any great soft factors - half Asian, but not an URM.

I have not visited yet. I am probably going to a week from Friday.
2.8/163

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 02:36:34 PM »
Do make sure to visit the school before making any sort of commitment. My visits to the few schools I was considering made me decide not to apply to BLS and to focus strongly on St John's. Of course, as a PT, non-trad, what I consider important may be different than other people... how comfortable I felt at the school is important, and I didn't feel comfortable at BLS. Just my experience, for what it's worth...
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 04:11:19 PM »
Do make sure to visit the school before making any sort of commitment. My visits to the few schools I was considering made me decide not to apply to BLS and to focus strongly on St John's. Of course, as a PT, non-trad, what I consider important may be different than other people... how comfortable I felt at the school is important, and I didn't feel comfortable at BLS. Just my experience, for what it's worth...
Rob

Great advice... they both have a very different feel to them!

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 04:45:45 PM »
Hi all.  I just created a Google Groups for anyone entering Brooklyn Law School this year (2007). 

http://groups.google.com/group/brooklynlawstudents2007

I know there is this board, and the Brooklyn Law School Admitted Students Board… but my thought was it could be a more specific Brooklyn Law group to post questions for one another. 

Check it out if you are interested!