Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: *JUST* got into Brooklyn  (Read 5839 times)

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
Re: *JUST* got into Brooklyn
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »
That drop in the rankings this year certainly didn't help the yield. They always been seen as neck to neck with Cardozo and the recent ranking seemed to have convinced many that Cardozo is on its way up while BLS is stagnant (IMHO I'm not sure that is true at all).

I'm currently debating whether I should defer a year. I was recently offered an unexpected promotion at work and I like to save up more money for school. But I'm just afraid BLS won't be able to match my current scholarship amount for next year (no guarantee I will receive the same scholarship amount next year)

Rumor has it that BLS got ALOT less acceptances than they expected and are in a bit of a scramble to fill their 1L class. Your HUGE increase in scholarship money supports that rumor... I wonder if this is a sign of the alleged 'smaller applicant pool' law schools are seeing this year?
Rob
PS: Congrats on BLS... did you visit the school yet?

well the drop was only 2 spots.  it's not like it's a big deal at all.  maybe if it was 10 to 15 spots, then yes.

i also dont know if there's a smaller applicant pool or what.  i was accepted to Umiami and they sent me an email last week asking people to defer because they over-accepted.

but either way, i just got back from visiting brooklyn and really loved the area.  they're giving me some money too and i've accepted their offer of admission.  the school's building is reasonable.  i really liked the library though.  one of the better ones i have seen on my college tours.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

In Infernos Dicet

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 05:41:16 PM »
well the drop was only 2 spots.  it's not like it's a big deal at all.  maybe if it was 10 to 15 spots, then yes.

i also dont know if there's a smaller applicant pool or what.  i was accepted to Umiami and they sent me an email last week asking people to defer because they over-accepted.

but either way, i just got back from visiting brooklyn and really loved the area.  they're giving me some money too and i've accepted their offer of admission.  the school's building is reasonable.  i really liked the library though.  one of the better ones i have seen on my college tours.

I agree that the drop was small but from reading LSD and other prelaw sites, you would know how important some people place ranking. I loved BLS and neighborhood and I'm proud to be going there in the Fall but I'm just throwing out reasons why the yield is "lower than it normally is" 

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 06:23:04 PM »
Is anyone else still waiting for a response?

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2007, 11:29:31 PM »
Some jerk at Cardozo tried to convince one of my friends that Brooklyn was going down the tubes which is why they were offering full or nearly full scholarships. They're desperate, she said. Problem is, Cardozo offered her a substantial scholarship, for three years, even before Brooklyn did, and lots of our friends got big money from St Johns and NY Law--does that mean Card0zo is desperate, too?
After hearing them rant on Brooklyn, Fordham and everyone other than NYU/Columbia, she told 'em forget it...if they can't sell Cardozo without knocking other schools, who needs 'em?

In Infernos Dicet

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 10:22:10 AM »
Some jerk at Cardozo tried to convince one of my friends that Brooklyn was going down the tubes which is why they were offering full or nearly full scholarships. They're desperate, she said. Problem is, Cardozo offered her a substantial scholarship, for three years, even before Brooklyn did, and lots of our friends got big money from St Johns and NY Law--does that mean Card0zo is desperate, too?
After hearing them rant on Brooklyn, Fordham and everyone other than NYU/Columbia, she told 'em forget it...if they can't sell Cardozo without knocking other schools, who needs 'em?

Brooklyn, Cardozo and to a certain extent, St. Johns, are essentially competing for the same students. Almost everyone who was offered a large scholarship from Brooklyn/Cardozo also received a similar amount from Cardozo/Brooklyn or St. Johns. That seemed to be the case for everyone that I know (including a few 1L and 2L at the mentioned schools). If Brooklyn wants you enough to offer you a large scholarship, chances are that Cardozo will want you just as badly. This board is full of people who used their scholarship offer at either BLS/Dozo as leverage against the other school in financial aid negotiation.   

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »
I thought the same re: cardozo/brooklyn/st. johns... but I was offered large scholarships from Brooklyn and St. John's and waitlisted at Cardozo.  I was shocked as I figured they should be around the same range.  But I guess that just further illustrates the seemingly random nature of so many law school admin decisions.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2007, 10:33:15 PM »
Well, you always hear admissions people say how they '...want to balance the incoming class...', based on whatever qualifications they like (work experience, ethnicity, age, gender, etc...). Perhaps Cardozo had filled 'your demographic' and St John's and BLS hadn't? Who knows?
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 11:01:52 AM »
Yeah I'm actually headed out to Brooklyn this weekend. I'm looking at some apartments and I'm going to check out the school. Before this offer I was going to Suffolk, and wihle it would take a lot for me to go to Suffolk (with only a $15k scholarship Vs. Brooklyn's $23.5k scholarship), I am still technically up to date with my Suffolk deposits, so I can still go there if BLS is a nightmare or something.

I don't expect that to be the case, but never hurts to keep your options open.
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 11:19:38 AM »
I live nearby - if you need an opinion on a street address let me know

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen