Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: *JUST* got into Brooklyn  (Read 5898 times)

Rpcro25

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: *JUST* got into Brooklyn
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »
I agree I just really dont understand what is taking so long.  Have you put a deposit down anywhere?  If accepted to St. Johns or Brooklyn would you consider either?

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 10:39:21 AM »
I put a deposit down at Rutgers.  Since I plan on doing gov't work I can't afford to take on massive loans.  Rutgers is a fraction of Brooklyn's tuition so even if I got accepted I don't see how I could change my mind.  But it still would be nice to know if I even had an option. 

Rpcro25

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »
Would you consider a move to Jersey or would you stay put in Brooklyn?

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »
HAHA.  See my thread "Living in New Jersey" - It has been traumatic.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 11:57:31 AM »
So maybe they didn't lose my application...

LOL.

I had given up as well.

I got a phone call from Brooklyn. They left a message asking me to call back. I did, and was told that they had "just finished reviewing my file" and that I was accepted. They called to see if I was 100% committed to another school yet, given the late date. I told them no, that I would definitely consider an offer from Brooklyn. She said okay she would go ahead and send out the acceptance letter and my financial aid package would follow shortly thereafter.

Basically I think that I was a fringe candidate and they put me on the back burner, and accepted their initial group of applicants. Having heard back from them who was coming/not coming, they're not tapping into the second-tier of applicants, like me and maybe you (I don't know your #'s). I had a 2.8/163 FWIW.

Brooklyn will only be a real possibility if I get offered SOME kind of grant/scholarship. Because I believe I was a second-tier applicant, I doubt I'll get a merit scholarship. Suffolk is giving me $15k/year.

We'll see I guess.

But yeah - all hope is not lost yet.

Where do you want to practice?   How much $$ realistically would it take for Brooklyn to pull you away from Suffolk?
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »
So maybe they didn't lose my application...

LOL.

I had given up as well.

I got a phone call from Brooklyn. They left a message asking me to call back. I did, and was told that they had "just finished reviewing my file" and that I was accepted. They called to see if I was 100% committed to another school yet, given the late date. I told them no, that I would definitely consider an offer from Brooklyn. She said okay she would go ahead and send out the acceptance letter and my financial aid package would follow shortly thereafter.

Basically I think that I was a fringe candidate and they put me on the back burner, and accepted their initial group of applicants. Having heard back from them who was coming/not coming, they're not tapping into the second-tier of applicants, like me and maybe you (I don't know your #'s). I had a 2.8/163 FWIW.

Brooklyn will only be a real possibility if I get offered SOME kind of grant/scholarship. Because I believe I was a second-tier applicant, I doubt I'll get a merit scholarship. Suffolk is giving me $15k/year.

We'll see I guess.

But yeah - all hope is not lost yet.

Where do you want to practice?   How much $$ realistically would it take for Brooklyn to pull you away from Suffolk?

Ideally in Boston - but honestly this is all about opportunities and if the opportunities I could get in NY from Brooklyn excede those of Suffolk in Boston, I'm okay with adjusting.

Realistically - I'd probably need at least $12k-$15k a year in some form to change my mind. I don't think I'll be getting that much, but I certainly intend to see the offer.

Suffolk is giving me $15k/year PLUS I have the option of staying at home for 1-3 of my years there, saving me another bunch in loans. I'll probably move out for at lesat one of the years, but it's good to know I have the option if I really decide I need to minimize debt.

But if Brooklyn somehow comes up with $15k, I'm there. I just don't see it happening.
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2007, 02:50:13 PM »
NYC is considered the "legal" capital...however Boston has the most courts other than a little place called DC. So Boston is not a slouch. If you want to practice there, go to Suffolk.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

parischic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 09:44:13 PM »
Congrats!!  That gives me hope too!!  I've already put my deposit down at Loyola Chicago but an acceptance to Brooklyn would make me oh so happy!  I miss living in NYC!!

Maybe they'll call me this week **Fingers Crossed**  I'm so anxious to know where I'm going and start looking for a place to live so that I can shop for furnishings!

siacollegato

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 11:03:42 AM »
But if Brooklyn somehow comes up with $15k, I'm there. I just don't see it happening.

UPDATE:

Brooklyn offered me $3,500. So, I was taking the $15k at Suffolk. I never got back to Brooklyn really, never told them no.

Got a call YESTERDAY from Brooklyn - they upped my scholarship offer to $20,000.  :o

Sooooooooooooo - I'm going to Brooklyn now. ;D

I spoke to the Director of Admissions - basically he said that after June 1 when they get their deposits in, they reassess how much scholarship $ there is - the excess money gets redistributed, sometimes to increase accepted students' scholarships, sometimes to give scholarships to people who had not gotten them at all.

The moral of the story is CHECK YOUR ANSWERING MACHINE.
In: Suffolk, Seton Hall($$)
Pending: BC, Brooklyn, Cardozo, George Mason, Ohio State, Temple
Out: Nowhere yet.
2.8/163

Mpmav1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 11:46:02 AM »
I also got my scholarship upped and will now be attending Brooklyn Law School.  I'm very excited. I just wish I didn't already put $750 down at St. John's.