Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: for those that have trouble with science passages  (Read 529 times)

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
for those that have trouble with science passages
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:02:04 AM »
Science Magazine is the best for practice. It has the same dry tone as texts in the RC section. Plus, you become familiar with ambiguous terms.
www.sciencemag.org

walkaway

• Sr. Citizen
  • fuggi regal fantasima
    • View Profile
Re: for those that have trouble with science passages
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 11:30:12 AM »
i subscribred to scientific american
its helping
now i want to build a rocket

you should go for it.
ave ave history is on my side...

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »
I hated science passages until I stopped trying to fully understand them.  I would get thrown off by the unfamiliar names of organisms and whatever chemical processes were described so I started creating abbreviations for them in my head and skimming over obscure terms.  In the end it always boils down to some causal relationship and it really helps to ignore the dense language and just focus on the key points.
Me Go Cornell

road

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 01:25:12 PM »
Science might be too technical for most, unless you think you might want to read this article: "Enantioselective Organocatalysis Using SOMO Activation".

You could read the opinion and news stuff at the beginning but I would recommend Scientific American over Science.
IANAL...Y

LizPendens™

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 02:36:53 PM »

c'mon. science + reproduction  *giggle*  = HOT!

remember that whitefly (?} passage? the one with the early summer  and late summer hatchlings, and the winged or non-winged male and female varieties...or something like that.

TOTALLY HOT.

i kid, of course, but that is a really good passage to practice comparing and contrasting the pieces of evidence presented in the passages.

another one along those lines -- comparing and contrastig -- that comes to mind is the steel {?} industry one, comparing and  contrasting between both the various types of american manufacture and their relative economic success, but also between the U.S. international industries. 
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"

Poops

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »
Science might be too technical for most, unless you think you might want to read this article: "Enantioselective Organocatalysis Using SOMO Activation".

You could read the opinion and news stuff at the beginning but I would recommend Scientific American over Science.

hey road,
I agree that there are texts that get way too technical but you can poke a round and find texts that remins you of RC, especially those photosynthesis ones....