Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: jag officers  (Read 437 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
jag officers
« on: May 02, 2007, 11:07:25 PM »
anyone know how competitive it is to become a military JAG officer?  if so, what type of schools to JAGS typically attend?
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: jag officers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:34:21 PM »
There are a few threads on JAG if you are willing to sort through previous pages. Sucks without the search feature.

It's competitive, but they do not use the exact same criteria as a law firm. Each branch also seems to look for different characteristics (USMC/USA want a rifleman and a lawyer; USAF/USN seem comfortable with the staff officer distinction).

I'm at a T25 and I'm headed to the AF Summer Law Clerk program. From our 3L class, I know 2 guys going AF JAG, 1 girl is going to Navy. There may be others but cannot be sure.

The AF FSO that interviewed me was from Florida. I also interviewed with the Army and their FSO was out of Wyoming or somewhere like that. If you look at the profiles of the various TJAGs, you'll see there is a pretty wide variety of schools. It's not like it's the DOJ with a major T-14 preference.
Air Force JAG Corps

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 11:41:41 PM »
so if i went to a tier 4 school...you don't think ill be competitive enough?  i went to a military college for undergrad and i hope that would help. 

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 11:50:58 PM »
so if i went to a tier 4 school...you don't think ill be competitive enough?  i went to a military college for undergrad and i hope that would help. 

I really think the school rank matters far less than for other types of lawyering.
Military life is not for everyone, I think that is twice so for law students. At least at my school, the vast majority are going the corporate attorney route at bigger firms so I think committing to a lower paying position without the BigLaw perks is not as common.

Even at a T4, I would guess most people aren't interested/able in regard to putting in 4+ years with the military where they won't have the freedom civilian life will offer.

I would think the military background would help though all of the Direct Commissions I am friends with do not have any military experience. At least with the AF, it seems understood that you are not there be a "soldier," you are a professional.

If you have the background and think JAG is right for you, you can do ROTC type program for your 1L/2L/3L at some schools (depends if a ROTC detachment is at the university with your law school). I know the Navy almost requires this (they only have a few direct commissions a year). It's a solid way to ensure JAG selection (I think it guarantees you, don't quote me on it), be commissioned a 2nd Lt/Ensign, and acquire "years" of service for your paygrade/retirement obligations. I think you also get a stipend.

In all, I think if you have solid grades and a committment to serve, you will be in good shape. I've picked up on that they like oral advocacy skills (moot court, mock trial) in that you do so much trial work early on. I know the the AF JASOC (the JAG school) has 2 internal moot court competitions alone.
Air Force JAG Corps

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 12:52:17 AM »
thanks i appreciate the info

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:37:24 AM »
I will second what has been said - I am also going to be an AF law clerk (2L) this summer and found that while it was competitive, they seem to look more at who you are and what you have done. Of course this method has its own problems, especially for giving advice. For example my friends, who are in Army not AF JAG, still don't understand what activities led to them being chosen when they graduated over their friends who often had more educational achievements, competitive in sports etc. This makes it very hard to give advice other than to get involved as early as possible via ROTC, communication with current and former JAG's . . .
159/168
accepted:Tulane$$(top choice), Emory,syracuse$$, BU
Rejected: UVA, Cornell, BC
Waitlisted:W&M, UF (WTF!!)
Pending: a whole bunch of slow-ass schools!