Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Lower ranked school this year or retake LSAT and try again?  (Read 686 times)

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
I had thought about law while doing my undergrad, but I changed my mind and decided to get a Master's instead.  I also decided against that and started looking into law again last fall.  I really decided I wanted to go to law school at the end of October, so I got my books and studied for the December LSAT.  After a month of studying (while working full time and taking night class) I received a 157. 

Basically my plan had been to do the best I could on my LSAT and applications and apply this year, see what happened, and retake the LSAT and try again next year if I did really badly.  I've already been out of college for 2 years, and I would like to get my real career started.  So, since I have good soft factors and a decent GPA (3.64), I decided to apply to schools that were kind of out of my league LSAT wise and hope for the best.  As of now, I have been accepted to Santa Clara, and am on the waiting list at UC Davis, UW Madison, and DePaul, and deferred at U of MN.  I'm waiting on more schools as well (but I'm guessing this late in the game the best I can hope for is more waiting lists).

Now that I see I've made it onto waiting lists at rather highly ranked schools with my low LSAT and the fact that I applied right at the deadline, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to retake the LSAT and try again next year.  I'd really like to be in one of the top 20 law schools since I'm not quite sure what I want to do, and I don't want to rule out any options.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?  Would it really be worth waiting another year at the shot of a better ranking and possibly scholarships?  Any advice would be really appreciated!
Boston College Class of 2011!

keepitsimple

• Sr. Citizen
  • What else we doing here?
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Lower ranked school this year or retake LSAT and try again?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »
try to get off a waitlist at one of the higher ranked schools. If you do not do this then give it a go next year... Good luck

jdesq2007

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 06:10:59 PM »
If you are not satisfied with Santa Clara and sincerely feel that you could get into significantly better schools and/or more scholarship money, I'd recommend waiting an extra year. However, if you really, really want to go to law school this coming year I have two suggestions:

1. Go to Santa Clara or, if accepted to another school that you are waiting on, go there instead.

2. Try as hard as you can to get off of one of the waitlists. Write some letters of continuing interest and update each school on any recent accomplishments. Also, underscore your interest in specific programs that the respective schools have to offer. I think you could also do a June LSAT retake if you have enough time to study productively for the LSAT and think getting the score back in July is not too late.

Best of luck!
USC Law 2010!

In: USC($$$), BC, Notre Dame($$), OSU($), Emory($$), American, UIUC($$$), WUSTL($$)

WL: UVA, GULC, GWU

Out: None

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »
Minus any substantial scholarship offers, I would retake and reapply.  A 157 with a month's prep, could equal a 160-161 with extra time, and a crack into T20, or at least scholarship in T50
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

whoneedsanABA

• Sr. Citizen
  • praise the basketball gods!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »
also depends on what type of law you want to practice.  IP law at SCU is top notch...so if thats what you are interested it...a JD from SCU wouldn't be too shabby.

BUT...if you truly feel you can do better the second time around...dont cheat yourself...hit the books for a couple of months, take a prep course (if need be) and break into the 160s (or higher!).

I decided against attending tier 3/4 schools last year and retook the lsat.  i had a 12 point jump and am deciding between two fairly reputable t1 schools.  i had a gut feeling i could do better...so if you feel the same way, I say...take the test again!
it may come down to fordham v. hastings...

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »
A top 20 will make up for the lost year in salary quickly if not immediately.  If you are ok with sitting out, I definitely think you can get into the mid 160's if not higher and more than likely receive some $ at a top 25.
Emory '10