Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What happens next?  (Read 2672 times)

Nart

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What happens next?
« on: May 02, 2007, 04:04:58 PM »
Now that my cycle is pretty much over and my only hope of going to law school is one waitlist, what should I do if I don't get in?  Taking the year off and retaking the LSAT is not an option for me.  I have no work experience that's not legal related. Staying in a legal environment will be a reminder of rejections from law school, so I'd like to try a different career path. Any suggests for someone with a poli sci degree?

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
Re: What happens next?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 04:12:27 PM »
Now that my cycle is pretty much over and my only hope of going to law school is one waitlist, what should I do if I don't get in?  Taking the year off and retaking the LSAT is not an option for me.  I have no work experience that's not legal related. Staying in a legal environment will be a reminder of rejections from law school, so I'd like to try a different career path. Any suggests for someone with a poli sci degree?

If you could explain why retaking the LSAT is not an option for you, that could clear up things a little bit more. I have a degree in Poli sci and if I was not headed to law school, I would have tried my hands on a county/city position. Look around your area, find out if you can get something of that sort. Do you want to do more studying? try your hands on an MPA program, ( think its about 2 years though and it may require GMAT but I'm not sure) it may just pay off for you, need is growing rapidly for people with those. It also depends on the part of country that you live in. Obviously, DC may bring you more openings than someone say in the deep south. There are a few options, you just have to look and with a poli sci degree, you'd have to look pretty deep but its not as bad as people make it to be.
Washington University School of Law 2010

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »
http://www.nato.int/structur/interns/index.html#overview

I had a friend who did this and loved it. Also, NGOs are pretty much always looking for people, esp. if you're willing to live aborad. Could add value to an application.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »

If you could explain why retaking the LSAT is not an option for you, that could clear up things a little bit more. I have a degree in Poli sci and if I was not headed to law school, I would have tried my hands on a county/city position. Look around your area, find out if you can get something of that sort. Do you want to do more studying? try your hands on an MPA program, ( think its about 2 years though and it may require GMAT but I'm not sure) it may just pay off for you, need is growing rapidly for people with those. It also depends on the part of country that you live in. Obviously, DC may bring you more openings than someone say in the deep south. There are a few options, you just have to look and with a poli sci degree, you'd have to look pretty deep but its not as bad as people make it to be.

At least at Princeton (Woodrow Wilson School), the MPA program only requires a GRE. This is the only one I know of...

What else do you like man? Apply to everything that looks interesting on Craigslist and see what happens. OR, if you are a biglaw paralegal, have you considered trying to get into Wall Street?
VIP.

Money, baby

• You make bunny cry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:10:58 AM »
Someone suggested on another thread for a deferring applicant to apply for any 2008 campaign - you can meet a LOT of interesting people doing that  :)
"And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to kill the bunny."

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 10:34:48 PM »

My first suggestion is to put up a new avatar. Secondly, take the LSAT again without giving up your livelihood. Seriously, try again with a better score and show more maturity in your personal statement. I haven't read it but based on this post I can tell you that it needs to be fixed. Don't give up hope, try again this fall!
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 11:01:48 PM »

My first suggestion is to put up a new avatar. Secondly, take the LSAT again without giving up your livelihood. Seriously, try again with a better score and show more maturity in your personal statement. I haven't read it but based on this post I can tell you that it needs to be fixed. Don't give up hope, try again this fall!

You are going to make a great lawyer.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 11:06:23 PM »

I see you're being sarcastic. Do you disagree with my analysis or with my method of conveying it to the OP?

LSN

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 11:17:40 PM »

I see you're being sarcastic. Do you disagree with my analysis or with my method of conveying it to the OP?

A) OP said retaking is not an option.  Why? Don't know, don't care, but you can't base your advice on an action that the OP has said s/ he is unwilling to take.
B) You gauge maturity from a 4 line message board post and then are super insulting in a way that makes me question your ability to make any assertion about the importance of maturity.
C) "Don't give up hope" is bad advice, especially in a situation where it translates to "put off your actual career for another year and spend a ton of money and time pursuing a dream that, frankly, the OP doesn't seem too enthused about anymore."  If OP REALLY wanted to be a lawyer he would obviously be trying again.  But instead he is on here asking for ideas for other jobs.  So no, I don't think you should be suggesting that OP give it another go.

I would also like to know why the OP cannot re take.  I can, however, think of a million reasons.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 11:37:27 PM »

A) OP said retaking is not an option.  Why? Don't know, don't care, but you can't base your advice on an action that the OP has said s/ he is unwilling to take.
B) You gauge maturity from a 4 line message board post and then are super insulting in a way that makes me question your ability to make any assertion about the importance of maturity.
C) "Don't give up hope" is bad advice, especially in a situation where it translates to "put off your actual career for another year and spend a ton of money and time pursuing a dream that, frankly, the OP doesn't seem too enthused about anymore."  If OP REALLY wanted to be a lawyer he would obviously be trying again.  But instead he is on here asking for ideas for other jobs.  So no, I don't think you should be suggesting that OP give it another go.

I would also like to know why the OP cannot re take.  I can, however, think of a million reasons.

First off, there is a contradiction in your critique of my comments (look at the bolded parts). Plus we don't even disagree. I'm not saying that he should pursue law. I just said that the OP should not give up hope. I meant hope about living not about law school. If you look at his avatar you can clearly see that the OP is at least somewhat suicidal. It's obvious that with his or her circumstances and that avatar that the OP was low on hope. I was just trying to show the OP that there are actually more options than what he or she sees (I will now refer to the OP as a male). The OP is boxing himself in and it's not productive to limit yourself for no reason.

LSN