• Bienvenido al Terrordome.
    • View Profile
University of Houston 2010
« on: May 02, 2007, 08:03:01 AM »
Anyone else?

Re: University of Houston 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:20:33 AM »
Anyone else?

Me too. After living in another state for several years, I'll finally be returning to TX!

Has anyone received financial aid yet? I've heard from other schools, but not UH.

Sell Out

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »
I haven't heard anything... I will be calling next week if it hasn't shown up by then.  Where did you go for UG?  Have you been apartment hunting yet?

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 10:07:26 AM »
I haven't heard anything... I will be calling next week if it hasn't shown up by then.  Where did you go for UG?  Have you been apartment hunting yet?

I went to MIT for UG, and decided to stick around the Boston/Cambridge area after graduating. My girlfriend and I went to Houston a couple of weeks ago so that I could see the school and so that she could interview for a job...while we were there we checked out some apartments, and liked a lot of what we saw. We were amazed at how much nicer (and bigger) the apartments in Houston are compared to the ones in Boston (at least compared to what we could afford in Boston). I still have no idea how much to expect to be able to budget for rent since I will depend on financial aid. Do you have any idea how much students on financial aid normally budget for rent? All I found on the UH Law website was last year's cost of attendance:

http://www.law.uh.edu/financialaid/COE%20estimate.html

One of the items listed is 'Room and Board'...not sure if that includes summer.

Sell Out

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 10:29:03 AM »
I assume you aren't from Houston originally.  I would check out the Chron.com classified section and www.thegreensheet.com for different apartment ideas, if you haven't found one already.  I just signed my lease today in Midtown.  I would strongly advise against living near UH...
Boston is insanely expensive!  I applied to Northeastern and immediately withdrew once I saw the apartment prices in Boston.  Welcome back to cheap rent!  When are you planning on moving?  I haven't lived in Houston in 7 years, so my idea of what a 2 BR would cost is not current.  I know they renovated the Montrose area and now it's pricey, but not bad coming from Boston.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 11:07:57 AM »
Thanks! We'll probably end up in Midtown as well -- we saw some really nice apartments there. We're going back to Houston in June to see apartments again and hopefully sign a lease for an early August move in date.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 12:11:02 PM »
I assume you aren't from Houston originally.  I would check out the Chron.com classified section and www.thegreensheet.com for different apartment ideas, if you haven't found one already.  I just signed my lease today in Midtown.  I would strongly advise against living near UH...
Boston is insanely expensive!  I applied to Northeastern and immediately withdrew once I saw the apartment prices in Boston.  Welcome back to cheap rent!  When are you planning on moving?  I haven't lived in Houston in 7 years, so my idea of what a 2 BR would cost is not current.  I know they renovated the Montrose area and now it's pricey, but not bad coming from Boston.

One of my favorite things about apartments in Houston is that a lot of them have in-unit washer/dryer. Here in Boston I have been lugging laundry down three flights of stairs to the nasty basement of my apartment building and having to pay $1 per load...really makes you appreciate receiving quarters as change. Also, lots of apartments in Houston provide at least one parking spot. I've had to parallel park on streets for the past 3 years, so now my front and rear bumpers are scratched up, and I've had my car towed a couple of times for forgetting to move it to another street during street cleaning. I won't miss any of that!

Do you know of any good places/areas to go out in Houston? I noticed that downtown was pretty dead at night...

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 12:39:34 PM »
 ;)I am going to UHLC FT this fall. Have you checked out the admitted students discussion board provided by the school? plenty of PT people there talking. I've been collecting some info about housing too, but being overseas right now I won't be nail a deal until late July. I am from Cali, so too am amazed at the Houston real estates' low price. I even think about buying one instead of rent although I am poor. :-\

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 01:33:25 PM »
;)I am going to UHLC FT this fall. Have you checked out the admitted students discussion board provided by the school? plenty of PT people there talking. I've been collecting some info about housing too, but being overseas right now I won't be nail a deal until late July. I am from Cali, so too am amazed at the Houston real estates' low price. I even think about buying one instead of rent although I am poor. :-\

Yea, I checked out the admitted students discussion board and also noticed that mostly PT people are posting. Have you been to Houston?

madwoodee

• 0L
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 08:59:23 AM »
Housing:  The rule of thumb I use is ~$600 per room or alternatively $1 per sq ft.  Anything cheaper is a good deal.  Last year I got a 1bd w/ study for just over $1K (rent only)  .  Great deal.

Going out:  Try Rice Village, Midtown, Sheperd Square, Downtown.  IMO those are the best places.  If you feel like getting shot, or perusing cheap strip clubs head over to the Richmond/Westhiemer area.

Downtown gets more lively around midnight on Friday and Saturday.  Usually during the weeknights its is pretty barren.