Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: st thomas florida anyone?  (Read 389 times)

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
st thomas florida anyone?
« on: May 02, 2007, 01:47:24 AM »
anybody familiar with the inner workings of the law school in St. Thomas Florida?  I have absolutely no idea about it other than i have a choice to attend- miami said no (bastards) but st thomas is in miami too.  please help@
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
Re: st thomas florida anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 08:29:46 AM »
I have heard anecdotal evidence that St. Thoams grads do fairly well in Broward and Dade counties.  I've heard of several grads working for both DA offices, and many PDs. As for GREATBIGLAW, I really don't know. Are they giving you any money?  If so - actually, in either case - be aware of the fact that their curve is quite brutal (me thinks about 2.6), and this leads to a high number of students losing their money after first year... and to even more students being shown the door permanently.

Take that for what its worth, but like any law school, if you are determined, work hard and know what your getting into and what your realistic options are for after grad, I think you would do just fine there.
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

blackpowerman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »
thanks for the info- i am not sure of what that "curve" means as being a 2.6.  i just haven't heard much "good" about st thomas, especially about some law suit involving a conspiracy to kick 25 percent of incoming class out right off the bat?

anyways thanks for the info.
"The fox knows many tricks; the hedgehog one good one" - Archilochus

WKRUSE

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 12:47:17 PM »
They've done some work trying to get their admitted student numbers up over the last few years, and it seemed to help with the last bar exam.  They were still not in the top tier of the state results, but at least they weren't last this time.  As for the suit over the curve, that could happen at any school in the second tier on down.  Almost every school has a minimum first year GPA policy, and any one of the students removed could make the same claim.  Good Luck.

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 02:55:49 AM »
I am from Miami and from all the people I have spoken with it seems as if FIU is a better option.  Fiu is also much cheaper.  A few years back I think they had a really low bar passage rate but I think it has come up since then.  Nova is also an option which is a little bit north of Miami in Broward county.  I have 3 friends at St. Thomas and they seem to be happy.  Many of the students are hoping to transfer to UM and one of my friends is actually trying to transfer to FIU.  I am pretty sure UM has around a 2.8 curve so that is not much of a difference if STU is a 2.6.
Emory '10

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
I am from Miami and from all the people I have spoken with it seems as if FIU is a better option.  Fiu is also much cheaper.  A few years back I think they had a really low bar passage rate but I think it has come up since then.  Nova is also an option which is a little bit north of Miami in Broward county.  I have 3 friends at St. Thomas and they seem to be happy.  Many of the students are hoping to transfer to UM and one of my friends is actually trying to transfer to FIU.  I am pretty sure UM has around a 2.8 curve so that is not much of a difference if STU is a 2.6.

UM's curve is a strict 3.17. It is not a 2.8. I don't think many T2 law schools have below a 3.0 curve.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.