Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The official Harvard waitlist thread - now with 20% less fratricide  (Read 33101 times)

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The official Harvard waitlist thread - now with 20% less fratricide
« Reply #320 on: May 22, 2007, 03:51:11 AM »
A few questions for those who might know:

Right now, I am only looking at Harvard affiliated housing (HRES): is this a mistake?  Are there any HRES apartments to avoid?  My View and Select Dates are at the very end of July and the start of August: should I wait until then to pick an HRES apartment or snag something from Currently Available while I can?  Thanks :D.

4-1

• This year is THE year.. or maybe next year? :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 22, 2007, 10:43:05 AM »
Well, it looks like there's been a lot more emphasis placed on GPA at Harvard in the past two years than before. Looking at LSN, all the wait list accepts are 3.85+. It's almost as if Harvard is going the way of Stanford with Toby at the admission helm.

I can't say that I'm not a bit annoyed that having a 3.8 will keep me out of Harvard  >:( I really should've worked harder in first year, damnit.

CLS 2010!

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: May 22, 2007, 10:50:37 AM »
Right now, I am only looking at Harvard affiliated housing (HRES): is this a mistake?  Are there any HRES apartments to avoid?  My View and Select Dates are at the very end of July and the start of August: should I wait until then to pick an HRES apartment or snag something from Currently Available while I can?  Thanks.

I am not the most knowledgeable person regarding this, but I'd say the closer to the law school the better. I assume all are at some basic level of quality/maintenance. I have the same window, and I will be watching Currently Available as well. There may not be much to choose from by August.
HLS 2010

just call me elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • pink, puppies, Crimson, and I belong together
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 22, 2007, 12:01:31 PM »
Right now, I am only looking at Harvard affiliated housing (HRES): is this a mistake?  Are there any HRES apartments to avoid?  My View and Select Dates are at the very end of July and the start of August: should I wait until then to pick an HRES apartment or snag something from Currently Available while I can?  Thanks.

I am not the most knowledgeable person regarding this, but I'd say the closer to the law school the better. I assume all are at some basic level of quality/maintenance. I have the same window, and I will be watching Currently Available as well. There may not be much to choose from by August.

HRES are all in relatively good shape - it comes down to the area you want to be in and type of apartment you want. That said, they are pretty open about the fact that it's first come-first serve (in the select window as well as overall), meaning that by the time your window comes around there will be very little (if anything) left. Currently Available may be the way to go, especially if you're not able to go up to Cambridge and actually look at apartments (which in many cases requires a broker since most of the buildings around HLS and the Square require that process).

cerealgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
anyone have suggestions as to what kind of laptop to buy? looking for durable/portable/affordable/long battery life. also...what's the protocol for note-taking? i'd rather not take notes on a computer unless that will make me look unbearably primitive.

just call me elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • pink, puppies, Crimson, and I belong together
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2007, 01:11:44 PM »
the Coop apparently has really good deals on Lenovos at the start of the year, including three-year fix it on the spot care (according to a 2L from ASW). some professors (including Warren, I think) have banned laptops, but it's pretty much the norm. that said, i don't think anyone will "look down on you" or something if you prefer pen and paper. my understanding is that just makes the whole outlining process and briefing cases thing more difficult.

leto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2007, 02:10:38 AM »
has anyone received any news over the past week? do you guys think that toby is kind of done with the waitlist?

Sw00sh04

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2007, 07:04:02 AM »
I just had an "interview" (he asked a few questions about my likelihood of accepting an offer of admission) on Monday and he said they are looking to make a number of decisions in "the next few days." Also, a couple of people have indicated on LSN that they were accepted Friday and Saturday of last week.  I suspect there will be at least a few more decisions.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 25, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »
anyone have suggestions as to what kind of laptop to buy? looking for durable/portable/affordable/long battery life. also...what's the protocol for note-taking? i'd rather not take notes on a computer unless that will make me look unbearably primitive.

I can't speak to Harvard, but at the class I attended at NYU, EVERYONE has a laptop and there is a feverish pulse of typing sounds during the entire class.  I think it is just a matter of being able to type as fast as someone talks, whereas most people can't do that with paper and pencil, or stone tablets for that matter.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 25, 2007, 01:42:16 PM »

I can't speak to Harvard, but at the class I attended at NYU, EVERYONE has a laptop and there is a feverish pulse of typing sounds during the entire class.  I think it is just a matter of being able to type as fast as someone talks, whereas most people can't do that with paper and pencil, or stone tablets for that matter.

In the Stanford class I visited, almost everyone had Gmail chat open. There were four or five (out of ~80) with pen and paper. You'll probably be fine taking notes without a computer. That said, check the general board for 1Ls on suggestions on laptops (threads like lenovo vs. thoseotherguys).
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen