Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do I say this formally?  (Read 2064 times)

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How do I say this formally?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 01:28:50 PM »
Thanks for all the input. I did something similar to what norman said. I have already sent a LOCI so I didn't really want to say why I like the school so much, just adding in a personal email to the assitant dean that they are my #1 choice and that I wouldn't hesitate to accept an offer. i hope it catches her eye. PLEASE LET ME IN!!!!

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »
Tell them WHY they are your 1st pick. You could say something like

"Dear Mr. Law School Dean,

During the months following the submission of my application, I have been doing additional research on the law schools to which I applied. The purpose of this letter is to share with you the reasons why I have come to the conclusion that the University of --- is my number one choice law school and why I would be an exceptional addition to the University’s student body."

If you need ideas on programs, go to their website. Be careful promising attendance though, unless you are absolutely sure you mean it.

Yes, this should be a given.  The example I gave was meant to come after all the buttering up and specifics that you should definitely add.  It isn't enough to just say they're your first choice, you've got to tell them why.

And I agree, it is bad form to say that you will definitely attend if that's not true.  Not illegal, but out of the bounds of what I would call ethical.  There's ways of intimating that you are extremely interested without saying it's your absolute, no holds barred, first choice.  

I also think norman's suggestion is helpful if you're willing to be that bold.
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:18:06 PM »
It would certainly be rude. Of the list of things I care about in the middle of an admissions cycle, being discretely rude does not break the top 50 :) (together with lying).

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »
Keno, you think that saying they are my top choice, to which I would surely attend if they let me in...is rude???

i heart wind power

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »
There's no set way to write a letter to adcomms. As a result, there's no "silver bullet" advice that an LSDer can offer you. Make it your own; do what you want. If you speak honestly, you won't sound rude.

If you want to say "I would be there for sure if they admit me," then say it! Isn't that the truth? Write a letter, bring them up-to-date on what you're currently doing, and tell them that. There's no formulaic, fullproof way of saying it. I think the last thing you want to do is craft a letter based on others' suggestions -- it will sound less like your own.

Then again, that's just my two cents; and I know very little about anything, so...
Ridin' the Green Wave to 2010...

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »
Wind Power, I totally agree with you. I'm not so sure why everyone on here is so paranoid about contacting admissions offices. I know that you need to do it in a respectful manner, but I have seen ppl who will not even call after not hearing anything for months on end! I think that if you are honest and sincere, you will be ok. These are people we are dealing with here...admissions committees are made up of gods or anything.

«ě»

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 05:47:55 AM »
Oh, no sorry, that was a response to this post; http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,87628.msg2196120.html#msg2196120 by Reesespbcup

Forgot to quote it obviously :) It would arguably be rude to tell this to schools who you know aren't your first choice. But as I have said in several similar posts on similar topics, I have no problems what so ever to lie, or at least bend the truth to adcomms. They play a quite vicious game with us in the admissions cycle, we should be allowed to do the same to them. And quite frankly, I believe adcomms expect us to.