Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FIU vs Miami  (Read 10582 times)

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FIU vs Miami
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2007, 04:36:14 PM »
thank you, now I can sleep at night lol.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2007, 04:39:05 PM »
Why? Surely I'm not the only person who was still deciding between 2 schools recently...
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »
I'm between FIU and Drake. FIU offered me Part-time which I'm not too enthused about, so I was curious as to what decision you made.  Not to mention I've been following this thread for a while now. lol :) Congrats on your decision!

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2007, 04:45:41 PM »
OK sorry. Guess I was too quick to get defensive  ;)
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »
I'm between FIU and Drake. FIU offered me Part-time which I'm not too enthused about, so I was curious as to what decision you made.  Not to mention I've been following this thread for a while now. lol :) Congrats on your decision!

hard decision. fiu isnt that great academically but at least you're in miami. stay away from the state of iowa its a shithole i lived there for 18 years so i would know.

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2007, 02:01:24 PM »
I know...but Iowa has great academics...I hear. Iowa is pretty bad.  But I'm thinking I will be focused on school instead of social life...but like someone else said, I'm trading in my shorts, bikinis, tanning lotion, for a winter coat, ugg boots and scarves...ghh.  :'( 

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2007, 12:05:38 AM »
hard decision. fiu isnt that great academically but at least you're in miami. stay away from the state of iowa its a shithole i lived there for 18 years so i would know.

congrats on miami, but honestly what do you know about fiu law's academic record and faculty?  please keep the generalizations about your knowledge of the FIU undergraduate community to yourself especially since the only real objective test about a law school's "academics" (if you don't go there) is the bar passage rate. 

the same FL bar passage rate that FIU students, in the school's short history, has been very competitive with, if not better, than UM.  UM is still king in Miami don't get me wrong, but please leave the "not that great academically" generalization to the undergrads. 

also, FIU isn't simply a breeding ground for you to pass the bar like some T3's that only teach black letter law.  the 1L classes are actually pretty opposite to that and are taught in distinct styles by the faculty while using the same textbooks as T1's across the country. 

FYI.  Here are FL Bar Passage Rates for first-time takers since February '06:

February '06: FIU 86.4% and Miami 69.2%
July '06: Miami 85.7% and FIU 79%
February '07: FIU 94.4% and Miami 76.6%

Again, there is no doubt that Miami reigns supreme in Miami at this time.  No need to debate that.  Just trying to make you aware of some things you probably don't know.

FIU Class of 2009

rnumiami

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2007, 12:11:07 AM »
If you can afford it go to UM but I think that FIU is headed in the right direction.  From my experience with professors and a few attorneys in Miami, FIU is regarded better than Nova and St. Thomas.  It is very cheap as well and the class size is much smaller than UM.  If you want to stay local it is an option but UM will still be the top dog in Miami.
Emory '10

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2007, 05:46:48 PM »

congrats on miami, but honestly what do you know about fiu law's academic record and faculty?  please keep the generalizations about your knowledge of the FIU undergraduate community to yourself especially since the only real objective test about a law school's "academics" (if you don't go there) is the bar passage rate. 

the same FL bar passage rate that FIU students, in the school's short history, has been very competitive with, if not better, than UM.  UM is still king in Miami don't get me wrong, but please leave the "not that great academically" generalization to the undergrads. 

also, FIU isn't simply a breeding ground for you to pass the bar like some T3's that only teach black letter law.  the 1L classes are actually pretty opposite to that and are taught in distinct styles by the faculty while using the same textbooks as T1's across the country. 

FYI.  Here are FL Bar Passage Rates for first-time takers since February '06:

February '06: FIU 86.4% and Miami 69.2%
July '06: Miami 85.7% and FIU 79%
February '07: FIU 94.4% and Miami 76.6%

Again, there is no doubt that Miami reigns supreme in Miami at this time.  No need to debate that.  Just trying to make you aware of some things you probably don't know.

You do realize that the vast majority of the people who take the bar takes it in the summer right? the times that FIU had a great passage rate was in the winter when hardly anyone takes it.

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2007, 10:26:40 PM »
I do not know much about the bar, but I have a question:  Does it matter when the students take the test?  Do their bar passage scores rely on other students' scores?  So basically, is it possible for all bar test takers, on a specific day (or testing period), to pass the test?  Not being snarky, just asking.

Students typically take the bar a couple months after graduation in July or February.  Iahurricane is correct.  The majority of students take the bar in the summer, since the majority of students graduate in the Spring.  I would post more stats, iahurricane, but FIU has only had 2 classes take the bar.  Gotta go with what you have...

So yes it is certainly possible for everyone to pass the bar.  FIU had 17 of 18 students pass the FL bar that took it in February so we were close.  Its not the biggest sample size but still relatively similar to other law schools in Florida.  I believe FSU had 34 take it.   
FIU Class of 2009