Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FIU vs Miami  (Read 10556 times)

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
Re: FIU vs Miami
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2007, 08:43:22 AM »
thelawfool, Yes, and I am sorry. The universi. of phoenix was a cheap shot and that was wrong. But point is "transparency" and all students deciding on where to attend should know everything about any institution.  Nowithstanding the fact there is a material schism between the quality of the under grad and law school @ fiu, people deciding on fiu ought to know. it is a mater of principle, duty and fairness.

Even you were offended (which I am sorry for) when I compared fiu to uni. of phoenix. you said "compare us to university of phoenix". You juxtaposed fiu law and fiu undergrad when you used the word "us". The point is that poeple "out there" will do the same and I think that it is only fair for the people considering fiu to know such state of affairs before they sign up.  It would not be right for them to find out later. 

There have been many scandals, like the current one, that have tarnished the perception of that institution.

But I am certain that with law students like yourself and others that I am great friends with things will change greatly and the future will be brighter than the present because of you work. best.

Well, at least the two of you 'play nice'.  :D And it IS important for people to understand the outside perceptions of schools I think. I am only ~ 4 hours away but know nothing about FIU. Oddly, it doesn't sway me much either way but it is good 'food for thought'. At the moment I am leaning heavily toward Miami. I am going to take the next week or so to talk to some attorneys I know through work and then I think I will make my decision and withdraw one of my two apps. Thanks so much to everyone!  
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »
Well I'm a USF bull so I'm all for them getting their own law school.

I was trying to send my last post and I got the "someone else posted while you were typing" message and I'm like "who else is up this early?". I should have known it was you Jilli! Good Morning!

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2007, 08:55:19 AM »
Good Morning to you too- yeah this is the only time I can really get on here. I drop off my son and then get on before I get ready for work which is in like 5 minutes
But for the record I think you should go to Miami, but the thought of less debt is really tempting
UMiami c/o 2010

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »
If you have the cash, go to UM. If you don't, FIU is a solid choice. That's all.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2007, 09:57:53 AM »
just keep in mind, going to Miami COULD be better, doesn't mean it WILL be better.

HUGE difference that many people seem to overlook...
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

brokenvw

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2007, 12:19:08 PM »
just keep in mind, going to Miami COULD be better, doesn't mean it WILL be better.

TITCR.

Major point not addressed here. UM has the *potential* to create more employment opportunities than FIU COL based solely on its perceived prestige and long-standing presence in the Miami-dade area. Unfortunately, nothing is a sure thing. Placing in the top 10% is not a sure thing; neither is knowing you will enjoy classes, professors or students. With UM, it's an expensive gamble. With FIU, less so.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »

TITCR.

Major point not addressed here. UM has the *potential* to create more employment opportunities than FIU COL based solely on its perceived prestige and long-standing presence in the Miami-dade area. Unfortunately, nothing is a sure thing. Placing in the top 10% is not a sure thing; neither is knowing you will enjoy classes, professors or students. With UM, it's an expensive gamble. With FIU, less so.
[/b]

Not really. If you plan on getting a job after going to FIU you better be sure you can be in the top 1 percent or so. I would say that's much more of a gamble.

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
again, if your gunning for that big law job....
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »
Reeses, any decisions yet?? we all (me) would like to know when you come up with one!

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »
Yeah, I withdrew my app at FIU so Miami it is!!!! No turning back now! At first I was kinda freaking out (like did I make the right decision?) but as the days go by, I am becoming more comfortable with the thought that I did what I think is best for me.  ;D

Thanks to everyone for your 'thoughts'!