Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FIU vs Miami  (Read 11042 times)

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
FIU vs Miami
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:23:26 AM »
I had my heart set on Miami-- love the area, the school pride, alumni network, etc but I struggle with committing myself to so much debt. I have been accepted to FIU and while I don't feel like I could get excited about going there, the prospect of such debt at Miami feels like this huge weight on my shoulders (already!).

Some of the tangible reasons I want to go to UM are (1) My UG degree is in accounting and I absolutely LOVE tax. UM offers a concurrent JD/LLM in Tax. (2) As an alternative to tax or maybe just a segue, I may like to work for the Securities and Exchange Commission (10 years I-banking exp, many of those years spent in regulatory compliance). The SEC actively recruits at UM.

I realize that FIU's curriculum and programs will expand but they really don't have much that I am interested in (clinic-wise or elective-wise). However, a legal degree is a legal degree, right? I guess what I struggle with most is losing the LLM in Tax opportunity. But, I could always do the LLM as a 4th year while working. Yet, won't UM give me better opportunities?

Bottom-Line: is anything UM has really worth $75,000? (Differential tuition cost is 25k/year).

Penny for your thoughts...
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

lifewasted

• View Profile
Re: FIU vs Miami
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:29:49 AM »
reeses, i already had you chalked up as going to miami.

i chose miami over a much cheaper in-state school because i believe miami will provide greater opportunities in the long run which justifies the larger financial investment.  the debt is certainly daunting. however, it's something that thousands of people have done, so i know it is possible.   

-you don't feel like you can get exicted about fiu (winner: miami)
-miami tax law program (winner: miami)
-sec actively recruits at miami (winner: miami)
-fiu not having anything you are interested in, clinics and/or electives (winner: miami)

as far as a legal degree being a legal degree, that is up for debate...hence the existence of a large portion of the posts on this site.  for good or bad, the legal field seems to be largely driven on prestige or perception of prestige, or maybe i am just caught up in it.  i am only providing my opinions and thought process.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:43:48 AM »
I had my heart set on Miami-- love the area, the school pride, alumni network, etc but I struggle with committing myself to so much debt. I have been accepted to FIU and while I don't feel like I could get excited about going there, the prospect of such debt at Miami feels like this huge weight on my shoulders (already!).

Some of the tangible reasons I want to go to UM are (1) My UG degree is in accounting and I absolutely LOVE tax. UM offers a concurrent JD/LLM in Tax. (2) As an alternative to tax or maybe just a segue, I may like to work for the Securities and Exchange Commission (10 years I-banking exp, many of those years spent in regulatory compliance). The SEC actively recruits at UM.

I realize that FIU's curriculum and programs will expand but they really don't have much that I am interested in (clinic-wise or elective-wise).

Miami!

However, a legal degree is a legal degree, right? I guess what I struggle with most is losing the LLM in Tax opportunity. But, I could always do the LLM as a 4th year while working. Yet, won't UM give me better opportunities?

Bottom-Line: is anything UM has really worth $75,000? (Differential tuition cost is 25k/year).

Penny for your thoughts...

If such was true....I would of taken a full ride at Stetson.
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:47:17 AM »

i chose miami over a much cheaper in-state school because i believe miami will provide greater opportunities in the long run which justifies the larger financial investment.  the debt is certainly daunting. however, it's something that thousands of people have done, so i know it is possible.   

-fiu not having anything you are interested in, clinics and/or electives (winner: miami)

as far as a legal degree being a legal degree, that is up for debate...hence the existence of a large portion of the posts on this site.  for good or bad, the legal field seems to be largely driven on prestige, or maybe i am just caught up in it.  i am only providing my opinions and thought process.

Well, I am soliciting your "opinions"  ;)

I had myself "chalked up" as well. What has happened is that some of the posts on this site about being stupid to pay for private tuition have gotten to me. I think I also feel like I'm being selfish: my mom wants to loan me some of the money and my bf says he'll send me a few hundred a month but I feel bad. I mean why should they do that? Just 'cause I want to go to an expensive school?

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »

as far as a legal degree being a legal degree, that is up for debate...hence the existence of a large portion of the posts on this site.  for good or bad, the legal field seems to be largely driven on prestige, or maybe i am just caught up in it.  i am only providing my opinions and thought process.

I had myself "chalked up" as well. What has happened is that some of the posts on this site about being stupid to pay for private tuition have gotten to me. I think I also feel like I'm being selfish: my mom wants to loan me some of the money and my bf says he'll send me a few hundred a month but I feel bad. I mean why should they do that? Just 'cause I want to go to an expensive school?

Because the opportunities out of the private school (in this case) will be much better than the public school, making it a wise investment.  I'd take Miami without a second thought, but that's me. 
USD 2010

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »
I say Miami also.  I too wanted to go to FIU for the money (and because of my 153) but the thought of going there isn't exciting like it should be to me either.  It sounds like you would be happier going to Miami and it is a good school and well ranked.  I'm contemplating to Drake in Iowa, also expensive, but I'd rather go somewhere with a good reputation that has been around a while than no reputation or worse, a bad one.  Good luck with your decision!

lifewasted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »

regarding my opinion, it was just a litle caveat.

i don't think it is selfish to accept help from people...especially your mom and boyfriend.  they offered.  i have been known to feel guilty about accepting gifts in a self-deprecating way.  i am sure the are both happy to help out their daughter and girlfriend, respectively.  i think it would be a source of pride for them to be able to help you out.  i never even asked, but my mom has apologized for not being able to help me out.  if the situation was reveresed, would you be willing to help them out?

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 11:14:30 AM »

regarding my opinion, it was just a litle caveat.

i don't think it is selfish to accept help from people...especially your mom and boyfriend.  they offered.  i have been known to feel guilty about accepting gifts in a self-deprecating way.  i am sure the are both happy to help out their daughter and girlfriend, respectively.  i think it would be a source of pride for them to be able to help you out.  i never even asked, but my mom has apologized for not being able to help me out.  if the situation was reveresed, would you be willing to help them out?

Wow, very interesting point...Thanks to all for your thoughts!

bajocero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »
MIAMI! FIU is going to be great in a few years, but for now Miami!
Accepted: American, Chicago-Kent
Waitlisted: Maryland, Rugters-N, UI
Denied: Northwestern, Michigan, Emory
Pending: Brooklyn

FrancesUVA!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 03:46:23 PM »
Miami 100%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%.  It is that simple. 75k? Please. Check stats and see that the salary of UM grads at 75% is 110k while FIU is 60k. Go without a new mercedes for a couple of years (not that one should be able to afford a mercedes with 60k/year).

Please. And let's not take into account what really matters - reputation, alumni network, student quality, breadth of courses in your interest area, repuation, student quality, alimni network, alumni network, alumni network, reputation, quality of students, repuation.

Isnt  UM's tax top 5 in the nation? Plus, isn't UM in top 100? Compared to a T3.  Please. Median lsat: UM 160 (or 159?), FIU 154.

It's a no brainer - UM!