Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When you visit schools you got waitlisted..  (Read 691 times)

LSATgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
When you visit schools you got waitlisted..
« on: May 01, 2007, 02:50:18 AM »
what do you do?

do you schedule a tour? do you go to the admissions dean and talk to him?
what do you say to him???

i am trying to decide if i should go visit, and if yes, what should i do?
please help me  :)

sahrunner86

• AOL Instant Messenger - SAHRunner86
    • View Profile
Re: When you visit schools you got waitlisted..
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:01:32 AM »
id say visit if its close, maybe a visit would show continued interest in the school.

LSATgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 04:07:48 AM »
okay i think I will go visit.
Should I go talk to the dean? schedule a tour?
I will be visiting my first choice, and I want to give them a really good impression.

Diecisiete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 04:11:41 AM »
tag
CLS 2L

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »
When I visited American a couple of weeks ago, I was the only person in the tour group that had been admitted. 4 people were there for the 08 cycle, and 4 others were there on the Wait List. The ones on the wait list had called, just like I did, to say that they would like to schedule a visit and a tour. American had these going on every weekend, however, until last weekend. I don't know whether your school will still be doing this in the middle of finals or not.

In any event, I would try to talk to someone on the admissions committee, even if not the dean. Whatever you do, DONT ask, "So when is the wait list going to start moving?" I would arm yourself with a few questions that are not answered on the website (DONT ask "So how many people in your entering class?") - try something like "Who could I talk to a little more about Program X that seems really interesting?" or something along those lines.

Also, one thing I've heard that surprised me is that as it gets closer to the start date for school, they are looking for people they know will accept the offer, and not necessarily the most qualified applicant. So if the school is really your first choice, and if you get off the wait list you would really drop everything and go, by all means be sure to tell them that! And if you have family or friends or something in the area that would help get you started -- tell them! They dont want to waste an acceptance on someone who is going to say "Thanks, but it's kinda too late."

Be sure to follow up with a thank you note and another mention of your continued interest.

Good luck on your visit!

LSATgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 09:03:49 AM »
When I visited American a couple of weeks ago, I was the only person in the tour group that had been admitted. 4 people were there for the 08 cycle, and 4 others were there on the Wait List. The ones on the wait list had called, just like I did, to say that they would like to schedule a visit and a tour. American had these going on every weekend, however, until last weekend. I don't know whether your school will still be doing this in the middle of finals or not.

In any event, I would try to talk to someone on the admissions committee, even if not the dean. Whatever you do, DONT ask, "So when is the wait list going to start moving?" I would arm yourself with a few questions that are not answered on the website (DONT ask "So how many people in your entering class?") - try something like "Who could I talk to a little more about Program X that seems really interesting?" or something along those lines.

Also, one thing I've heard that surprised me is that as it gets closer to the start date for school, they are looking for people they know will accept the offer, and not necessarily the most qualified applicant. So if the school is really your first choice, and if you get off the wait list you would really drop everything and go, by all means be sure to tell them that! And if you have family or friends or something in the area that would help get you started -- tell them! They dont want to waste an acceptance on someone who is going to say "Thanks, but it's kinda too late."

Be sure to follow up with a thank you note and another mention of your continued interest.

Good luck on your visit!

wow thanks a lot SilentSwirl!
you seem to be one of the most kind LSDers..

Money, baby

• You make bunny cry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »

This specific tactic depends on a) the school b) the dean and c) yourself. If the school's admissions has a reputation for being laid-back, helpful, open-door policy, I'd say go for it (ask friends that go there or other admitted/waitlisted people who've gone there). If it's around deposit time or the dean has been in committee all day, s/he might be cranky if you ambush him/her - and, let's be real, the chances of getting a one-on-one scheduled appointment might be slim. This is the riskiest part. And, finally, it really comes down to whether or not you "present" well as an applicant - if you're shy, a stutterer, a jerk, a whiner, or just really have nothing to say other than "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME IN," you might even hurt your chances of getting off the WL.

That's my pretty two copper pennies...
"And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to kill the bunny."

LSATgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »

This specific tactic depends on a) the school b) the dean and c) yourself. If the school's admissions has a reputation for being laid-back, helpful, open-door policy, I'd say go for it (ask friends that go there or other admitted/waitlisted people who've gone there). If it's around deposit time or the dean has been in committee all day, s/he might be cranky if you ambush him/her - and, let's be real, the chances of getting a one-on-one scheduled appointment might be slim. This is the riskiest part. And, finally, it really comes down to whether or not you "present" well as an applicant - if you're shy, a stutterer, a jerk, a whiner, or just really have nothing to say other than "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET ME IN," you might even hurt your chances of getting off the WL.

That's my pretty two copper pennies...

i think it makes sense... what do you think about going to harvard or stanford and asking
the dean for an appointment? too risky huh...

S2X

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 11:54:22 PM »
Seattle waitlisted me in January and I still scheduled a visit with them in the last week of March (they were still holding classes then).  If you're really interested in going there, you might as well check out the place.

I wrote them a letter thanking them for the visit and I sent them my letter of continued interest as well, along with a list of awards I have received (in an attempt to stand out from the rest of the waitlisted applicants).