Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school car shopping guide  (Read 3187 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school car shopping guide
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2007, 04:39:38 PM »
If you're not commuting far, it makes better sense to buy used but maybe a "newer used".

In my case, I bought a new Rabbit - no fancy stuff - 5 speed, no leather, just the basics. But, the Rabbit's basics included heated seats, an iPod/MP3 direct plug into the stereo (in the glovebox) as well as a 6-disk in dash CD. Plus it's reliable and has a great warranty. I paid around $15,900 (+ tax - UGH).

I'll be commuting about 70 miles each way so I wanted something new and under warranty for 3 years (VW is 5). My other car (a Mercedes SUV) is paid for, but requires so much $$$ on maintenance and insurance, it is too expensive to keep. So, we're selling that one and I'm buzzing around in the Rabbit. The gas mileage is definitely better too. I do plan on driving this for a while, so I"m not really looking at reselling in 3 years, but VW does have a good resale value. 

There are plenty of older used cars that are extremely reliable and will cost less- Hondas, for instance, seem to be in demand because they don't have many problems when they get older.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2007, 09:04:05 AM »
I haven't read the entire thread but my husband is a mechanic- so... your best bet would be to look for a diesel. They last FOREVER (or close to that). Cars.com may be good for you- but don't get a car that's more than 100,000 miles unless it's a diesel because it may not last you the entire 3 years of law school
UMiami c/o 2010

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2007, 11:05:41 AM »
I will be buying a car this weekend..

Does anyone know how to look up the invoice price of a vehicle via the internet?
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2007, 02:47:15 PM »
As I want to get the best warranty and not have to worry too much about cars during law school, I'll be buying a brand new Honda Fit (hopefully in the bright orange color b/c orange makes me HAPPY!). I will be going part-time to school so I'll still have my current full-time job to take care of the payments/insurance on it so no worries. I think it caps out at $17k too so not a bad deal!

If you guys want a cheaper new car with Honda reliability as well as good gas mileage (I'll need this in Cali as gas will be super expensive!), check out the Fit. It's small but cute and it compares to the Toyota Yaris.

I'll be heading over to the dealership next month to get it!
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2007, 02:52:28 PM »
Please dont get orange....
Princeton Law 2010

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2007, 03:19:12 PM »
Please dont get orange....

TITCR.

Also, American car prices makes me cry. But then I remember I'm moving there soon so I start smiling. And then I remember it's insane to have a car on Manhattan, so I'm crying again.

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
Why not? Orange looks good on the Fit as well as other smaller cars. I agree it looks crappy on pick-up trucks and stuff but I think it will make the perfect beach err... law school car, hahaha.

I was hesitant at first, because online it looked ugly in orange. But then I saw it in person at a dealership and it was LOVE. Plus I'm young (24) - now is the time to have funky cars. It won't look so good when I'm like 40 or something. So there!  :P
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF

Nickledime85

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007, 02:39:56 PM »
The Fits are so cute. I just bought a Jetta, and I definitely wish I got something a little cooler. And yeah, I agree on going with a crazy color. If you like orange, go for it...it's only a matter of time before you'll be a professional and feel the need to go with something boring, aka. navy or gray.
University of Pittsburgh, Class of 2010 :-)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2007, 06:41:45 PM »
Why not? Orange looks good on the Fit as well as other smaller cars. I agree it looks crappy on pick-up trucks and stuff but I think it will make the perfect beach err... law school car, hahaha.

I was hesitant at first, because online it looked ugly in orange. But then I saw it in person at a dealership and it was LOVE. Plus I'm young (24) - now is the time to have funky cars. It won't look so good when I'm like 40 or something. So there!  :P

Please, there is no age limit to having a funky car. I have a yellow mini and love it. If you want the orange, go for it! I've known plenty of professionals who have quirky cars too. You don't become a zombie just because you're working.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2007, 09:14:02 PM »

Please, there is no age limit to having a funky car. I have a yellow mini and love it. If you want the orange, go for it! I've known plenty of professionals who have quirky cars too. You don't become a zombie just because you're working.

Oh, you must not have gotten the memo yet.  It's all over after 30.  No more cute cars, no more funky clothes... Yeah, I'm afraid we're gonna have to take that car and get you a Buick or something. 
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me.