Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!  (Read 7729 times)

SplitFinger

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2007, 04:18:18 AM »
Live somewhere near a Marta stop.  Preferably on the east-west line (I would recommend towards the east, particularly towards the Decatur area, which is nice).

Parking downtown is a real PITA, so the fact that GSU has its own Marta stop is a big plus.  By living on the east-west line you can avoid the Five Points station (which is the hub where you can switch from east-west to north-south), which is kinda icky sometimes.

If you're planning on driving every day, DO NOT live anywhere OTP (outside the perimeter - the perimeter is the I-285 beltline that goes around the city).  Your commute will be horrid.  I live in the Emory area (just outside of Decatur) and this summer I'm working just around the corner from GSU, and it takes me about 25-35 minutes to get down there.  If you live OTP, you're starting to measure your travel time in terms of hours per day, and you're going to need that time to study.
Emory '09

LSN

Festus

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2007, 09:29:52 AM »
Outside the perimeter is not actually the death sentence some make it out to be.

I live in Smyrna 7-10 minutes outside the perimeter and I can get to Emory in 35 minutes weekday mornings. From I285 on the west side of town to Moreland Ave takes less than 10 minutes on I-20.  I haven't tried GSU yet, but if it takes more than 30 it will be because of traffic around the decks which will get you driving in from anywhere.

Time of day and routes are much bigger factors than distance.  The 10 minute drive is at 7:30.  After 8:00 you are on your own. 

clee750

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »
Hey got my schedule today. Anyone else

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2007, 03:15:06 PM »
Hey got my schedule today. Anyone else

Did it come in a mail?

after you post, I logged into Gosolar and noticed weekly schedule has been updated.

clee750

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »
I would imagine the social events are not mandatory, but I really dont know for sure. However, it will be a busy week.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2007, 02:08:28 AM »
Wow--

So I used Promove to get my apartment down in Atlanta--found one in the Vinings area (inside the perimeter).  I'm not sure the best way to get to school yet--I'll figure that out when I go down the beginning of August.  I haven't seen anything yet about the schedule--I'm so out of the loop from being on the road.  I didn't see anything about a Saturday picnic--is that on the GSU Law website under orientation?  I'm going to look now and check my gosolar account too. 

Does anyone know what the parking is like in the parking decks?  I know downtown parking will be a nightmare, but what about the decks--don't they have ones for students?  Are they always full like the ones at my last school?
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

Judgie Poo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nulli Secundus
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2007, 02:10:39 AM »
So what attracted ya'll to indebted poverty?
Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2007, 08:43:32 AM »
Wow--

Does anyone know what the parking is like in the parking decks?  I know downtown parking will be a nightmare, but what about the decks--don't they have ones for students?  Are they always full like the ones at my last school?

There are plenty of decks around the school (at least during the week--finding parking on the weekend when many decks are closed can be a pain) so finding a space is not a problem. Most students try to get into the "M" deck, which is close to the law building. M deck passes are sold by a lottery system, you have to submit your name to the parking office to enter the lottery. The benefit of the M deck pass is that it gives you a 24/7 pass, so you can come and go as often as you like any day of the week without paying extra. Last year the passes were $200 per semester (and you have to re-enter the lottery each semester). As an aside, you can use the M deck even without a pass by just paying when you enter, but the pay spaces fill up fast during the week. Also, at the start of each semester, M deck passes not claimed by lottery winners are sold on a first come, first served basis by the parking office (they sell out fast, though).

If you can't get into the M deck, the next best thing is to buy a "Budget" card from the parking office. Basically you put money on a card, and every time you enter a parking deck it takes money off your card (at a discounted rate from paying cash).

There are also state-owned decks around the area that offer discounts to GSU students (usually $3 to park).

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2007, 01:53:59 AM »
what a ridiculous expense I had not anticipated.  My oh my do I regret complaining about getting to school early to get a parking spot--at least the parking was free!

So other than "M" deck--can you buy a pass to another deck that is cheaper than paying day-by-day?  I don't mind walking...especially if it saves me money.
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2007, 10:19:14 AM »
what a ridiculous expense I had not anticipated.  My oh my do I regret complaining about getting to school early to get a parking spot--at least the parking was free!

So other than "M" deck--can you buy a pass to another deck that is cheaper than paying day-by-day?  I don't mind walking...especially if it saves me money.

Unfortunately, there's no pass to buy that's cheaper than the M deck. All the other decks are pay as you go decks, which is why people like the M deck. I did forget to mention that there's another deck right behind the M deck called the "Lofts" deck (because it is the parking deck for the University Lofts housing complex). You can buy a pass for that deck too from the parking office, but it costs the same as the M deck pass. But a lot of students who don't get M deck passes through the lottery end up buying Lofts passes. If you'll be coming to school everyday (and you should be if you're full time because of the class schedule) then the M/Lofts deck passes are more economical than any other parking option (plus you won't have to worry about finding space on the weekends).

More info about all things parking can be found here:
http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwaux/parking/students.htm