Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!  (Read 7828 times)

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 10:27:10 AM »
I'm not sure about the PT program, but for the FT 1L's all you needed to do was get the financial stuff, official transcript, and clear the immunization office.  They are assigning sections starting this year, so once you have met all the requirements, they go ahead and assign you to a section.  No need to register.  At least that was my understanding from the accepted students overview/reception they held last month.

I just spoke to someone at the admissions office and was told that once the school receives everthing they need to receive (immunization record and such), students will be placed in section.  I asked what exactly is a "section" and the person explained that the school will schedule my 1st year classes for me (applies to both FT and PT).  So all I have to do is print the schedule online and attend.  I was told that the notification regarding section will go out around end of this month.

GloveDoesntFit

• If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 12:27:38 PM »
I just got an email saying I should know whether or not I am Georgia State worthy by next Friday at the latest. I've called, I've emailed and I've written a follow-up letter. I suppose I've done all I can do besides wait it out. Here's to hoping...
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »
Hey everyone!

Speaking of which, does anyone know Georgia's (and thus GSU's) policy on in-state residency and the timeline?  If I move down to Atlanta beginning of August this year, and change my residency after living there for a year, could I be considered in-state for my 2L and 3L years? Or are the standards a bit tough?  I'll check the boards more often now that I know other posters are on here :)  Not to mention that tomorrow is my last day of finals (and the undergrad years will finally be officially over!), so I'll have a little more time to surf the net...

Navygirl--I would contact the administration and get them to tell you the standards. I can tell you that I have had friends who were able to establish residency after their 1L year, but it required a lot of jumping through hoops and it wasn't easy. I have other friends who still haven't been able to get resident designation for tuition, and they've gone through 2 years now. It's not automatic by any stretch of the imagination, from what I understand. Of course, I'm a resident so it's not something I've had to deal with, so I can't say for certain. Like I said, your best bet is to get answers straight from the administration.

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
Navygirl,

this should answer your questions to some extent.

http://www.gsu.edu/es/residency_requirements.html

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 07:57:16 PM »
thanks for the info!

It looks like becoming a resident isn't as easy in GA as it is in other states.  I'll give them a call though anyway...

So...do you think they'll send out the section letters even if we haven't sent in our immunization stuff yet?
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 09:45:02 PM »
thanks for the info!

It looks like becoming a resident isn't as easy in GA as it is in other states.  I'll give them a call though anyway...

I know few people who obtained residency status after 1 year of residence in Georgia also. 

When I was in undergrad at GSU few years ago, some foreign people who were in U.S with the student visa were able to obtain out-of-state tuition waiver.  You should ask if GSU still has such policy of granting out-of-state tuition waiver.

good luck.   

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 01:19:56 AM »
It's definitely worth asking about.  Question though...since my understanding is that the law school doesn't have its own financial aid office (it's through the UG school), should I call the office of financial aid or admissions for that kind of question?

I think it's because of my outsider status at Penn State (continuing ed. student who went to a lot of night school) I never really asked administrative questions and hardly ever dealt directly with the school staff--so don't really know the proper thing here--do the administrative staff get annoyed by phone calls?   :-\

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 12:11:25 PM »
It's definitely worth asking about.  Question though...since my understanding is that the law school doesn't have its own financial aid office (it's through the UG school), should I call the office of financial aid or admissions for that kind of question?

I think it's because of my outsider status at Penn State (continuing ed. student who went to a lot of night school) I never really asked administrative questions and hardly ever dealt directly with the school staff--so don't really know the proper thing here--do the administrative staff get annoyed by phone calls?   :-\

They get paid to be annoyed.  Ask as many questions as you need to. 
Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

Festus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »
thanks for the info!

So...do you think they'll send out the section letters even if we haven't sent in our immunization stuff yet?

I think they may send out a reminder, but the Admissions Director mentioned at the ASD that you wouldn't be assigned to a section until they had your immunization stuff.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
looks like I need to hurry up and get that done then. lol...