Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!  (Read 8028 times)

jahoogamabobble

• View Profile
Re: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »
Navygirl,
    Don't post here often, but figured I could be of some help.  I attended Ga. State UG and have lived in the Atlanta area all my life.  I know MARTA very well because I used it the whole time I went to GSU.  If you are worried about traffic my suggestion would be to try to live near a MARTA train station, drive to the station and park, then ride the train in.  Many students I knew did this.  Parking is free at most stations and students get a discounted rate on monthly train passes.  This will save you money because you will not have to buy a parking pass for school or pay to park day to day at other lots in the area.  It could potentially save time, too.  I lived about five minutes from a train station (Avondale station on the East-West line)).  I just drove there, parked, and from there it's about a 10 minute ride to school.  Traffic is a non-issue.  The MARTA stop at Ga. State drops you off less than a block away from the law school bulding, too, so it's only a short walk.  There are also MANY areas you can live for much less than $1200/month.  Try looking at areas in N. or East Dekalb county...Decatur, Stone Mountain, Tucker/Northlake.  Also, Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, and the Emory areas are nice, too.  A little more pricey, though.  All of these areas are within 5-10 min. from a MARTA station.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:03:30 AM »
Thanks Jahoo!

That was actually very helpful!!!  I'll look into those places too!
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

clee750

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 10:35:28 AM »
Wow, finally some GA State posters. I know its not the best school in the world, but im excited. I live in marietta. I am going to try to commute for the first year. I did the same to Georgia Tech and State is not too much further. Are you guys doing full time.

Festus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Hi,

Also going to GSU this fall FT. 

I live in Atlanta now, but don't have a lot of experience with MARTA (Atlanta's rapid transit)  Traffic is definitely an issue.  I live in the Smyrna/Vinings area which is at the junction of I-75 and I-285.  The drive isn't great, but its tolerable.  Getting up a little early will also be a big plus.  The traffic at 7:00 is not that bad.  The traffic at 7:30 is awful.  I figure it'll be worth it to jump out of bed and get my morning coffee at school. 

I would strongly suggest that before you commit to a place try the morning commute from there.

Are you a vet Navygirl?

Semper Fi,

Festus

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
I am PT evening.

Does anyone know by when we have to finish registering for classes?

Wow, finally some GA State posters. I know its not the best school in the world, but im excited. I live in marietta. I am going to try to commute for the first year. I did the same to Georgia Tech and State is not too much further. Are you guys doing full time.

Yea, it sure isn't one of the best school in the world but I am excited as well.  All the Atlanta attorneys I've spoken to had nothing but positive things to say about GSU law.  I think it was recently ranked at 11 on Vault's top 25 underrated school based on the Vault's survey of lawfirm recruiters.

http://www.vault.com/lawschool/underrated/

Maybe new law building to be operational in the future (not in our time I've been told) would help LS to climb further up in ranking.  It went up a lot this year, from 97 to 82 I think?

Festus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 01:23:46 PM »
I'm not sure about the PT program, but for the FT 1L's all you needed to do was get the financial stuff, official transcript, and clear the immunization office.  They are assigning sections starting this year, so once you have met all the requirements, they go ahead and assign you to a section.  No need to register.  At least that was my understanding from the accepted students overview/reception they held last month.

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 01:45:21 PM »
I was at the ASD also but since I went to GSU for my undergrad, I was told that I wont have to send in immunization form and the transcript.  So there should not be any more outstanding requirement for me.  Did anyone get assigned to a "section" yet?

Maybe I should call them.

AtlAggie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 11:32:49 PM »
Nice to see a 2010 GSU thread finally started.  :)

I'm one day a way from officially being a 3L at GSU. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions anyone has about the school.

Navygirl, I can give you more thoughts on housing later (I'm wrapping up a paper at the moment) but I live in the area of town known as "Midtown". I'd put it on your list of areas to explore. I'm about 3 miles from campus, it takes me about 10 minutes to get to school, there's never any traffic issues since I take all surface streets. A lot of my fellow classmates live around here too. Depending on what sort of living space you're comfortable with, you can get find apartments in the area from 750 (for old and small) all the way up to well over $1000 for the fancier places.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 02:45:11 AM »
Hey everyone!

Thanks for posting!!

I'm glad to see people are actually attending GSU on here...was starting to wonder if there were any others out there ;)

I will be attending GSU FT in the fall.  I have not returned my immunization records as of yet, and since my final grades for this semester have not been turned in, I have not given them a final transcript yet either, so I haven't been assigned to a section.  I wasn't able to make it to the ASD (I live near Philly right now), so I missed out on any good information that was dispensed. 

By the way..FESTUS...yes, I am a vet!  I served 6 years in the Navy.

Thanks AtlAggie for recommending Midtown.  I'm definitely trying to keep the rent costs as low as possible since I'm going to be living off of loans and the GI Bill, I'd like to leave school with the least amount of debt possible.

Speaking of which, does anyone know Georgia's (and thus GSU's) policy on in-state residency and the timeline?  If I move down to Atlanta beginning of August this year, and change my residency after living there for a year, could I be considered in-state for my 2L and 3L years? Or are the standards a bit tough?  I'll check the boards more often now that I know other posters are on here :)  Not to mention that tomorrow is my last day of finals (and the undergrad years will finally be officially over!), so I'll have a little more time to surf the net...

Can't wait to see you guys in August!!
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

clee750

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 09:59:13 AM »
Keeping it on the front page.