Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!  (Read 8056 times)

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
GEORGIA STATE!!!!!
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:55:40 PM »
Hey everyone!

Forgive me if there is another board out here for GSU, but after browsing through several pages, I have yet to find one.

I just wanted to see if there are any people out there that have decided on GSU, and if you are not in the Atlanta area, when you plan on moving down?  If you are already in the Atlanta area, any recommendations on housing?

And just want to talk to anyone going here!
LSAT: 158

Attending:  Georgia State

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
Re: GEORGIA STATE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:00:12 AM »
I live in Atlanta and will be attending GSU law PT evening.

Have you visited the school yet?  it is in a very urban setting in middle of downtown Atlanta.  Fairly large campus though (school has nearly 30,000 students both undergrad and grad). 

well... let me clarify, there is no "Traditional" campus but more like multi story buildings scattered within few blocks of downtown Atlanta.

Housing in Atlanta is very reasonable for a big city.  if you could afford it, living around midtown and buckhead would be nice.  One bedroom rental would be around $1200 at a nice place.

or if you plan to drive, Perimeter/Ashford Dunwoody area would be good.  one bedroom at decent place starts around $700 but will be about 10 miles away from GSU. 

PM me or post if you have any other Qs on Atlanta

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 10:50:43 PM »
I have not visited the campus, but I assume that it is much like VCU in Richmond...or most colleges in the middle of the downtown area of a city.  But, I'd rather be there in an urban setting than at Penn State in a completely rural setting with nothing to do... I've actually only driven through Atlanta, so questions about where and where not to live are the most important, I believe. (at least, right now).  I won't be able to afford $1200, and will be bringing my car, so I assume I'll be driving.  Is there a decent mass transit system in place in Atlanta?  Do you recommend using it?  I've heard traffic in Atlanta is absurd, and frankly is the only thing that worries me about the city...but considering all the other pluses, is something I'm willing to deal with.   :)

salty827

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 12:53:38 AM »
I live in Atlanta. Well, really a surburb of metro Atlanta but work downtown, right down the street from GSU. I got into the school but also got into higher ranked schools, so I don't think I'll be going there.  But the school has a great reputation in the city of Atlanta. I know many people who went to school there and work for many of the big Atlanta firms without graduating in the top 10%.  In fact, if you know you want to work in Atlanta, you'll be in great shape, sometimes even ahead of the students from Emory and UGA. Atlanta traffic is beyond absurd. It took me almost 2 hours to get home today and I work 35 min away.  $1200 is about right for right in the middle of downtown, but you could get a cheaper place away from campus but you'll have to battle the traffic.  As for the school, it's really a commuter campus, even the undergraduate school. No sense of commmunity but it's a good school.  If you have any questions about the city I'll be glad to answer them. 

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:58:38 AM »
I have not visited the campus, but I assume that it is much like VCU in Richmond...or most colleges in the middle of the downtown area of a city.  But, I'd rather be there in an urban setting than at Penn State in a completely rural setting with nothing to do... I've actually only driven through Atlanta, so questions about where and where not to live are the most important, I believe. (at least, right now).  I won't be able to afford $1200, and will be bringing my car, so I assume I'll be driving.  Is there a decent mass transit system in place in Atlanta?  Do you recommend using it?  I've heard traffic in Atlanta is absurd, and frankly is the only thing that worries me about the city...but considering all the other pluses, is something I'm willing to deal with.   :)

go to the craigslist or apartmentguide.com and look around Dunwoody area (Ashford Dunwoody/Perimeter) or try Brookhaven area. 

You should be able to find 1 bedroom for $700 to $900.  I know for sure there are at least 5 apartments within minutes of walking to the North Springs stations and this is in Dunwoody. 

MARTA train has two stops at GSU campus (www.itsmarta.com).  I think they are Five point station on a N/S lane and GSU station on a E/W lane.

There are cheaper apartments in Atlanta but they tend to be pretty shabby.

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 04:30:11 PM »
I was accepted to Georgia State but will not be attending.  There is a mass transit system in the Atlanta area and I would suggest living outside of Atlanta.  I currently live in a 2bdr/2ba apartment outside the city and I pay $850 per month.  It takes me about 25 minutes to get downtown from where I live.  25 minutes is great timing for living in the ATL.  Georgia State is well respected in Georgia but one of the things you have to ask yourself is...will I live in Georgia all my life.  You would have to establish yourself here in Atlanta before you move on to another location.  It is an up and coming law school but the alumni network is still small.  Good luck and have fun!
Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 11:28:41 AM »
Well, I was just accepted to Denver, and put on Indiana's waiting list, but even if I got into that one, I'm still pretty sure I'm going to Georgia State.

I have no real intentions of staying in Atlanta--I will stay if I like it, but if not, then I'll move back to Virginia or try somewhere new.  I haven't really decided where I want to live yet.  To be honest...alumni base is not as important as you think.  If you want a job bad enough, you can find a job wherever you go.  I have no problems with my interviewing skills, and already will have a large alumni base by graduating undergrad from Penn State, so I'm not worried.  As long as you work hard in law school, and do internships/externships that give you experience, work during the summers, and are personable--you'll do fine.  I don't want a biglaw job anyway, so that's not a concern for me. 

My main concern is where to live down in Atlanta...thank you for the Dunwoody and Brookhaven suggestions.  I've lived in a suburb of Philadelphia for the past 3 years and I'm fully aware that you can live someplace nice and 5 min. down the road you aren't in a nice neighborhood anymore.  So living suggestions help me out a lot, especially since I haven't lived there and know where the bad parts are.

I'll look up Dunwoody and Brookhaven...in the meantime, are there any other suggestions of nice (but relatively cheap) neighborhoods?

(traffic will suck, but I'll be fine.  I lived near DC for 2 years, and then lived in Southern California for 2 years too, not to mention Philly traffic isn't that great either...it just lets me know I'll need to bring all my CD's to listen to on the drive)

GloveDoesntFit

• If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
I wish they'd  let me in already.  Anyone familiar with property prices on a townhome/condo style place in the Atlanta metro or nice suburban areas? I'd hate to throw away $1,000 in rent, and have saved enough so I can afford a reasonable down payment.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:33 PM »
I wish they'd  let me in already.  Anyone familiar with property prices on a townhome/condo style place in the Atlanta metro or nice suburban areas? I'd hate to throw away $1,000 in rent, and have saved enough so I can afford a reasonable down payment.

I just sold my house and will be moving into an apartment half a mile from my work.  I thought about buying a condo but decided to rent for the time being. 

Decent condos in a nice area cost as much as a nice single family home.  1 bedroom unit at high-rise condo starts around $250K, 2 bedroom is about $400K, at least the ones that I saw which are new constructions.  Nice amenities though.  HOA fee is steep, anywhere from $250 to $500 a month which grants you the access to the gym, pool, lounges, and other amenities that most law students won't have the time to enjoy.

3 bedroom townhouse (Brownstones) intown is minimum $350K.

Houses in the far suburb are cheaper (Duluth, Suwanee, Cumming, Marietta, Roswell) but commute would be painful (this is why I am moving) and Marta train does not travel to these places.

Between working FT and PT law school, last thing I want to do is spend 3 hours on the road everyday.  I guess FT students can avoid traffic time to make the commute manageable.  In the morning traffic eases up after 9:30 and in the evening, after 8 would be speed limit ride

I'll look up Dunwoody and Brookhaven...in the meantime, are there any other suggestions of nice (but relatively cheap) neighborhoods?

(traffic will suck, but I'll be fine.  I lived near DC for 2 years, and then lived in Southern California for 2 years too, not to mention Philly traffic isn't that great either...it just lets me know I'll need to bring all my CD's to listen to on the drive)

Vinings area is nice also and I believe rent rate might even be cheaper than Dunwoody and Brookhaven. 

Feel free to ask any Qs on ATL (my domicile) and GSU (undergrad and LS of my choice)

Navygirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 02:46:47 PM »
thanks Big Slick--

I'm sure I'll have more Q's soon.  I'm just worried about trying to find a place to live down there for now, but once this semester is officially over (2 more finals to go), and my summer officially starts, I'm sure I'll be doing all the unnecessary research into Atlanta, and probably bugging you with all kinds of questions!  ;D

It's my LS of choice as well--even after the Denver acceptance.  I'm looking forward to moving down there!