Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New ENgland School of Law  (Read 3417 times)

noregrets1127

• View Profile
New ENgland School of Law
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
Does anyone have any info on New England School of law?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: New ENgland School of Law
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:14:32 PM »
www.lsac.org is a good place to start...

I hear it is very poorly regarded.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

ThePendulum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 05:06:16 AM »
I have a friend who attends NESL as a 2L and I've sat in on a few classes there.

My friend is generally happy at the school. She had poor academics her first semester, but has improved significantly since then. She realizes that the Boston legal market is saturated and NESL students are pretty low on the totem pole, so she is not planning to stay in Boston and realizes she may have to take a job in a smaller market. You need to do something to distinguish yourself in some way, or else finding a job will be troubling. The faculty has been a mix of good and poor. The students are friendly and non-competitive, if not overly interesting.

Overall I would say that NESL seems to serve its purpose. If you show initiative and develop some marketable skills, you will be best off.

jane426

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 10:13:29 AM »
My two cents...I work at a law firm in Boston of about 65 attorneyes. I"d say about one third of the attys here are from NESL, one third from Suffolk, then the rest are a BC/UConn mix with about 10 people from around the country (GW, Georgetown, Texas, DU, CU).  The firm does very well and so do the attorneys that work here.  At they are all equally respected, and their opinions all heard.  No one looks down on them, and if anything they are the ones who have had to do more grunt work than the ones who went to BC and had an advisor to hold their hand all through law school.  NESL students (my boyfriend was one, two of the attorneys I work for went there too) work HARD.  Their schedules are demanding, and I've heard classes are rewarding.  That said, yes, it is lower on the totem pole than the other schools, but only those Managing Partners who are too busy to stop and look at a resume will see NESL vs. BC student (for example) and automatically take the BC student.  The Boston market is saturated with NESL grads and they land good jobs.

The school itself is in a weird location, and a small building off the beaten track, and on a bit of a loud street.  Aside from that, I haven't heard too many complaints. 

I hope some/any of this helps?

I'm still stuck between Catholic and UC Boulder.  Ugh.

noregrets1127

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:14:21 AM »
Thanks for the info! Very helpful

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 11:24:04 AM »
My two cents...I work at a law firm in Boston of about 65 attorneyes. I"d say about one third of the attys here are from NESL, one third from Suffolk, then the rest are a BC/UConn mix with about 10 people from around the country (GW, Georgetown, Texas, DU, CU).  The firm does very well and so do the attorneys that work here.  At they are all equally respected, and their opinions all heard.  No one looks down on them, and if anything they are the ones who have had to do more grunt work than the ones who went to BC and had an advisor to hold their hand all through law school.  NESL students (my boyfriend was one, two of the attorneys I work for went there too) work HARD.  Their schedules are demanding, and I've heard classes are rewarding.  That said, yes, it is lower on the totem pole than the other schools, but only those Managing Partners who are too busy to stop and look at a resume will see NESL vs. BC student (for example) and automatically take the BC student.  The Boston market is saturated with NESL grads and they land good jobs.

The school itself is in a weird location, and a small building off the beaten track, and on a bit of a loud street.  Aside from that, I haven't heard too many complaints. 

I hope some/any of this helps?

I'm still stuck between Catholic and UC Boulder.  Ugh.

I wouldn't say it's off the beaten track...it's in the theater district, which is actually only a block from the Common....but I would say it's probably not the quietest area....it's a busy street and if you were in there at night (I assume the library is in the same building?) it's pretty much right next to a couple of nightclubs, so that could be annoying.

I would probably agree with you that NESL grads would often have to work WAY hardere than others to get a job, but I would say it's because so few of the prestigious firms in Boston would want to hire them truthfully.  I work at a firm of about 50 lawyers in Boston and we don't have a single NESL grad.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 11:25:11 AM »
I should clarify, I don't mean to disparage students who go there...I know a few myself, a they certainly work very hard...I just mean to say, it's probably the hardest school to get a job out of in this market.

That or WNEC.

afer1500

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - alexfiu1331
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:20:15 AM »
I have sent in my seat deposit to NESL and will be visiting May 11, I'll post again when I get back to let you know what I think about the school itself.

idk10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »
Im considering going there. Tag

iamprov

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 03:16:59 PM »
Always good to see some posts from people who can think for themselves and aren't brainwashed by USNWR.
Albany Law School Class of 2010