Law School Discussion

The Truth about the Pay Gap

GraphiteDirigible

• Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
Re: The Truth about the Pay Gap
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2007, 02:12:34 PM »
I'd imagine it would have to be in accordance with the number of hours reduced, since you're going to have to hire more people to fill the hours gap. If you're working 70 hours a week making 150k, and you trim down to 40, I'd epect the salary to drop to 86kish. Sure, that's still plenty of money, and the wealth would be spread, but in today's society, you just can't do it.

Not to mention, if this is a government sponsored restriction, you are stepping all over basic rights. Perhaps you could pitch this idea to a firm or company who would like to be more socially responsible.

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2007, 02:14:59 PM »
I'd imagine it would have to be in accordance with the number of hours reduced, since you're going to have to hire more people to fill the hours gap. If you're working 70 hours a week making 150k, and you trim down to 40, I'd epect the salary to drop to 86kish. Sure, that's still plenty of money, and the wealth would be spread, but in today's society, you just can't do it.

Not to mention, if this is a government sponsored restriction, you are stepping all over basic rights. Perhaps you could pitch this idea to a firm or company who would like to be more socially responsible.
Policies encourage certain behaviors (usually with incentives), they do not enforce them.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2007, 02:20:26 PM »
Either way, giving tax breaks to corporations/firms/banks to continue to employ mommy who takes 2 month leaves every 2 years and maxes out her vacation/sick/break days all while liberally using policy to leave work early for kids' crap over somoene (man or woman) who works or would work 70 hours a week, 51 weeks a year isn't efficient.

Are you in favor of making all jobs wage-based? If so, do you think there would need to be a limit on hours per week that one could work?

I'm torn. It makes sense to me to pay by the hour; at the same time, however, workload fluctuates, so it would be virtually impossible to put a cap on workable hours.

GraphiteDirigible

• Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »

Policies encourage certain behaviors (usually with incentives), they do not enforce them.

Now are you talking about government or private policies. I'm telling you pitch it to a company. There have been companies who've gotten good applicants solely because of socially responsible benefits packages. They tend to be smaller, but hey. I would agree with any company's right to enact policies like that. I just don't agree with a public policy to that effect.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2007, 02:23:47 PM »
company could sacrifice some of it's profits

Some are more equal than others I suppose...

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2007, 02:25:27 PM »

Now are you talking about government or private policies. I'm telling you pitch it to a company. There have been companies who've gotten good applicants solely because of socially responsible benefits packages. They tend to be smaller, but hey. I would agree with any company's right to enact policies like that. I just don't agree with a public policy to that effect.

I think private policies are helpful but that more companies will have them if encouraged by the government (to make such companies the norm instead of the exception)

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2007, 02:28:07 PM »

I think private policies are helpful but that more companies will have them if encouraged by the government (to make such companies the norm instead of the exception)

Another problem is that you may be ignoring the nature of the work. People that work 70-80 hours a week often aren't doing it because they want to; they do it because they HAVE to; deadlines, etc. How do you address that problem with a mandated reasonable hours policy?

GraphiteDirigible

• Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »

And that, I think, would be exactly what shouldn't be done. Based on the various points above. It takes away from peoples' right to choose what they want to do with their lives.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 02:32:30 PM »

Yes, but in an capitalist economy that dog just "ain't gonna hunt".  To provide publicly-funded day care, or financial help for women who's family income is severely compromised by maternity makes sense.  But in order for the government to "encourage" this policy, you're talking money.  Because that's the only way a company not motivated by social responsibility concerns is going to be willing to do this.  I for one generally think that the government should stay out of social engineering.  Granted, there are exceptions to this, the Civil Rights Laws come to mind.  But in my mind, these two situations are hardly comparable.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2007, 02:42:03 PM »
But in my mind, these two situations are hardly comparable.

Why not?

Oy.  Really?

So for instance, the pay gap between men and women today, is the same proportionally as the pay gap between black men and white men, or black woman and white women, circa 1950 or 60?  Somehow I doubt it.

There are "man only" drinking fountains, and women are not allowed to patronize some of the same restaurants, swimming pools, and other establishments that men are?

Not to say that there is not any inequality between men and women.  But again, the scope and intensity are no where similar.  This should be pretty much elementary.