Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Way to See Credit Score?  (Read 5085 times)

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Best Way to See Credit Score?
« on: April 29, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »
I'm planning to go to L school in Fall of 2008 and I want to do some financial planning so I can get decent loans to pay for it.  A good place to start would be to see a credit report... I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to get a good credit report/ credit score.  Do banks do this for free?  For a nominal charge?  Any help would be appreciated.  I'm not very financially savvy.... so excuse my ineptitude.  Thanks.
_______
.|E|R|S.

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way to See Credit Score?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 06:27:22 PM »
You can get one free report per year from each of the three major credit bureaus (www.annualcreditreport.com).  You can also pay fees of 5-10 dollars to see them.  Or you can pay about $10/month to FICO (www.myfico.com) to monitor your report.
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:05:10 PM »
Thanks a lot :P  Sort of a rip off that you need to pay $10 to see your actual score... but at least my report doesnt have any negatives so it can't be that low.
_______
.|E|R|S.

shawsama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 12:52:39 AM »
I use bank of america, and they had a credit report monitoring program w/ a 30 day trial.

naturally, I signed up for it and cancelled before the trial ended
Probably going to Columbia.

dcforlife

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »
Keep in mind that credit scores are different among the three credit bureaus, and there's a secondary credit numbering system coming online (VantageScore) as well. It's worthwhile to cough up the dough for all three at least once.

parischic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »
A great place to start with credit questions is www.creditboards.com/forums.  I was amazed by how much I didn't know about my credit and credit reports!!

For your question about reports/scores, every year you can get a free credit report directly from each of the agencies
www.equifax.com
www.experian.com
www.transunion.com

Also, once you get your free credit report, you can use that report confirmation # to initiate credit disputes and reporting agency has to give you an updated report with the results of your dispute.  Then you can use that new confirm # to dispute, get another free report...its a nice circle (especially when you get baddies deleted from your report!!)

To get your true credit score either purchase them directly from the agencies with your report or go to www.myfico.com and purchase the 3 agency report/score.  This link has myfico discounts (go to the last page to find the valid discount code).  http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30893.  

The other credit monitoring companies give updated credit reports, but "FAKO" scores, which can vary between 30-100 points from your FICO score.  TrueCredit.com for example gives you a daily FAKO score and credit report, which is good for monitoring your credit activity and for inquiry *B (bumping inquiries from your credit report to help raise your score, one of the easiest ways to get a few free points after a credit app spree!)

CHeers!!

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:24:43 PM »
tag
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

Edna St. Vincent Millay

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Portrait of a Poetess"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 09:30:40 PM »
tag. thanks, parischic!
Flight of the Conchords

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11067696

Northwestern 2010.

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 09:22:43 PM »
tagggg  ;D
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

parischic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 09:47:20 PM »
tag. thanks, parischic!

you're welcome :).  If anyone has credit repair questions, I can try and share some of the things I've learned through my experience.

Cheers!