Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Wisconsin... my top choice, and in-state school.  (Read 6563 times)

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
I'd already sent them this:

Addendum Pertaining to Guaranteed Matriculation

As tuition deposit deadlines approach, I hereby reiterate my continued interest in attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition to admission at George Mason University, I am willing to pass up the following scholarship offers to attend law school in my home state:
$9,000 at the University of Tennessee (contingent on good standing)
$25,500 at the University of Indiana-Bloomington (contingent on a 3.0 GPA)
$30,000 at the University of Arkansas (contingent on a 2.0 GPA)
$45,000 at DePaul University (contingent on a 3.3 GPA)
$60,000 at the University of St. Thomas (contingent on good standing)
$68,400 at Hamline University (contingent on a 3.0 GPA)

And I need to update my file or something... ARGH! I'M FREAKING OUT!

Dear Madison,
Who do I have to sleep with to get into your school?
-gratif.

donvito

• Sr. Citizen
  • Just drifting...
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Wisconsin... my top choice, and in-state school.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
ouch.  yeah im yet to hear from wisconsin, but i suspect i will be waitlisted too.  should probably hear back from them this week.
Mr. Braddock: Would you mind telling me then what those four years of college were for? What was the point of all that hard work?
Ben Braddock: You got me.

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 07:54:30 PM »
I'd already sent them this:

Addendum Pertaining to Guaranteed Matriculation

As tuition deposit deadlines approach, I hereby reiterate my continued interest in attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In addition to admission at George Mason University, I am willing to pass up the following scholarship offers to attend law school in my home state:
$9,000 at the University of Tennessee (contingent on good standing)
$25,500 at the University of Indiana-Bloomington (contingent on a 3.0 GPA)
$30,000 at the University of Arkansas (contingent on a 2.0 GPA)
$45,000 at DePaul University (contingent on a 3.3 GPA)
$60,000 at the University of St. Thomas (contingent on good standing)
$68,400 at Hamline University (contingent on a 3.0 GPA)

And I need to update my file or something... ARGH! I'M FREAKING OUT!

Dear Madison,
Who do I have to sleep with to get into your school?
-gratif.

I feel your pain...I sent them a pseudo-LOCI this week as well.  I guess it's not a real LOCI considering that I haven't heard anything yet...Ahhh!  I just want to know either way at this point. 

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »
gratif: if you really want to attend school there, be prepared to get admitted off the waitlist this summer.  Keep sending them continued interest statements, and updates on your achievements and accomplishments.  The scholarships are not going to be that persuasive IMHO, b/c that's some other schools' opinion of you.  You need to get them to change WI's opinion.  They don't care what DePaul thinks. 

Visiting also can't hurt.  Go meet Dean Hall.

Seventeen

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Hope is a risk that must be run."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »
FWIW: Admitted students must report by May 21 whether or not they will attend. Expect some action after that date.
"We're adults. When did that happen, and how do we make it stop?" ~Grey's Anatomy

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 03:48:56 PM »
gratif: if you really want to attend school there, be prepared to get admitted off the waitlist this summer.  Keep sending them continued interest statements, and updates on your achievements and accomplishments.  The scholarships are not going to be that persuasive IMHO, b/c that's some other schools' opinion of you.  You need to get them to change WI's opinion.  They don't care what DePaul thinks. 

Visiting also can't hurt.  Go meet Dean Hall.

I heard that can be construed as pestering.  I'm traveling through madison on the 21st, though.... advice?

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
Campus should be pretty quiet on the 21st (the last commencement ceremony is the 20th), so if I were you, I'd call the Admissions Office and let them know you're coming for a visit-maybe you can get a tour?  Even if you don't want to meet with Dean Hall, at least they'll have your name as someone with a demonstrated interest in the school.  You should definitely make some time for grabbing a beer at the Terrace and taking in the gorgeous view.  I'd also suggest State St. (of course) and trying a slice of mac 'n cheese pizza at Ian's (on Frances St.).  I'm finishing up my undergrad here, so if you have any other questions about campus/Madison, let me know!

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 05:27:13 AM »
ive been to madison a few times, as it's between my home town and undergrad.

I like the town and am actually quite familiar with the campus.  Think I should call and schedule a tour (and mention that I'm on the waitlist?) ?

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:39:48 AM »
Campus should be pretty quiet on the 21st (the last commencement ceremony is the 20th), so if I were you, I'd call the Admissions Office and let them know you're coming for a visit-maybe you can get a tour?  Even if you don't want to meet with Dean Hall, at least they'll have your name as someone with a demonstrated interest in the school.  You should definitely make some time for grabbing a beer at the Terrace and taking in the gorgeous view.  I'd also suggest State St. (of course) and trying a slice of mac 'n cheese pizza at Ian's (on Frances St.).  I'm finishing up my undergrad here, so if you have any other questions about campus/Madison, let me know!

Mac 'n cheese is weak sauce, steak fry is where it's at.  If you're willing to wait in a line for an hour at 2:00 AM, Jin's is da bomb baby!

God I feel like an idiot for not applying, but at least seeing someone like gratif, with better stats than me, on the waitlist alleviates some of my regret.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 03:41:00 AM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mdsilver

maybe this guy (who applied on the same day as me) will make you feel bad.  I have better number than him, but he went to UW-Madison.  LSN suggests that they favor Madison kids in general.