Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Wisconsin... my top choice, and in-state school.  (Read 6596 times)

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waitlisted at Wisconsin... my top choice, and in-state school.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 05:30:11 AM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mdsilver

maybe this guy (who applied on the same day as me) will make you feel bad.  I have better number than him, but he went to UW-Madison.  LSN suggests that they favor Madison kids in general.

No, his LSAT is still higher than mine, although that GPA is a full half point lower, and considering we had the same major at the same school (and I had another one too), I think we'd probably be near equal, or I'd get the nudge.  Man.....  Our pre-law adviser was a moron, told us that we had to look at the 75th percentiles and not the medians.  He's got much better soft factors.

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=mdsilver

maybe this guy (who applied on the same day as me) will make you feel bad.  I have better number than him, but he went to UW-Madison.  LSN suggests that they favor Madison kids in general.

No, his LSAT is still higher than mine, although that GPA is a full half point lower, and considering we had the same major at the same school (and I had another one too), I think we'd probably be near equal, or I'd get the nudge.  Man.....  Our pre-law adviser was a moron, told us that we had to look at the 75th percentiles and not the medians.  He's got much better soft factors.

I completely agree about our pre-law adviser here...she's ALSO the pre-med adviser!  You'd think UW produces enough future lawyers and doctors that they could find someone who had some real insight into the process instead of just giving bad advice...

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 01:53:16 PM »
gratif: I am now sharing your plight...I just got waitlisted today at UW, also my top choice and in-state school (and alma mater).  Enjoy your visit to Madison this weekend, the weather is supposed to be beautiful! 

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
A bit of advice for this weekend: don't drive into town in the morning, especially Sunday morning.  It's graduation weekend.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 04:09:54 AM »
ARGH.  Freaking out.

I could try again next cycle... work on a cruise ship and save up some dough, perhaps...

They prefer time off before college; I applied days after graduating.
They prefer early applicants; I applied on the last day.
They explicitly prefer re-applicants; I'm a first timer.

If I get dinged, should I just take my chances next year?  St. Thomas wouldn't hurt my JAG prospects at all, but I want to eventually wind up in academia (undergrads), and Wisconsin would certainly pad a resume.

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 06:00:53 AM »
ARGH.  Freaking out.

I could try again next cycle... work on a cruise ship and save up some dough, perhaps...

If I get dinged, should I just take my chances next year?  St. Thomas wouldn't hurt my JAG prospects at all, but I want to eventually wind up in academia (undergrads), and Wisconsin would certainly pad a resume.

If you don't mind waiting a year, that might be the way to go.  With your LSAT you should cast the net wide in the mid-T1 range as well as trying everything you can to get into Fighting Bob's School.

EDIT: From LSN it looks like UIUC (arguably a better school, but I wouldn't say that :)) is very favorable to splitters like you and might give you $10k per year.

EDIT2: Plus, it couldn't hurt to ask to delay admission for a year at IUB and St. Thomas.  It would give you extra security to know you are going somewhere.

gratif

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.7/167
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 11:24:08 AM »
ARGH.  Freaking out.

If you don't mind waiting a year, that might be the way to go.  With your LSAT you should cast the net wide in the mid-T1 range as well as trying everything you can to get into Fighting Bob's School.

EDIT: From LSN it looks like UIUC (arguably a better school, but I wouldn't say that :)) is very favorable to splitters like you and might give you $10k per year.

EDIT2: Plus, it couldn't hurt to ask to delay admission for a year at IUB and St. Thomas.  It would give you extra security to know you are going somewhere.

If I were going that route, I'd really just establish residency in Indiana over the course of the next year.  (I prefer UIB to UIUC, and UIB is the most splitter friendly school out there).  I'm a lock at Indiana.  But I'm such a homer.  I want to go to Wisconsin and simply must get in.

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
Is there any way to find out how many people have been taken off the waitlist in previous years?  Is it a completely crazy idea to call and ask how many people are on a waiting list? 
Boston College Class of 2011!

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 11:59:53 AM »
Is there any way to find out how many people have been taken off the waitlist in previous years?  Is it a completely crazy idea to call and ask how many people are on a waiting list? 

I was wondering the same thing, so I checked prior admission cycles on lawschoolnumbers.com and here's what I found (granted LSN users aren't necessarily representative of everyone who was accepted from the waitlist):

2005-2006
-2 people reported being "WL, Accepted"
-2 people reported being "Deferred, Accepted"

2004-2005
-6 people reported being "WL, Accepted"
-1 person reported being "Deferred, Accepted"
(a lot more people listed themselves as "WL, Rejected" this cycle...according to "sotsoj", Wisconsin dinged most everyone via e-mail on 6/1 that year)

2003-2004
-no one reported acceptance off the waitlist

HTH

ApesAMB

• AOL Instant Messenger - ApesAMB
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 01:26:48 PM »
Thanks, I had been trying to figure out how to get past years on there!  I was really hoping it would say tons and tons of people get off the list!  Looks like we have a tough fight on our hands.  Good luck!
Boston College Class of 2011!