Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting To Maybe  (Read 847 times)

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
Getting To Maybe
« on: April 29, 2007, 02:41:04 AM »
I really can't sit still long enough to read this thing, even as I plow through chemerinsky, chirelstein or glannon...Is there anything to take from this book, other than :
1) IRAC is ill-equipped to deal with the tricky stuff law profs use in exams
2) this is because most rules are really factor/element tests, and law school fact patterns are deliberately ambiguous, so
3) being conclusory and saying a factor is met misses the point and instead
4) you should have an extended irac for the rule/analysis part where you point out that facts determine whether or not the rule is applied.

What does the policy stuff talk about?

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Getting To Maybe
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 05:16:42 AM »
I'm not sure what you're talking about but I am about to buy this book. Are you saying that it's not worth buying?
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28:50 AM »
You should sit still and read this book. It's excellent, and highly recommended- more effective than LEEWS, IMO, in teaching what law school exams look for.
One more take away- read the chapter on policy arguments, and the "hit list" chapter on exam-taking strategy near the back of hte book.

Seriously though, I attribute a large degree of my success last semester to reading it a couple weeks before finals. (Just don't tell the rest of your 1L class about it  ;) we all need to maintain a few chat board secrets!)

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 11:12:29 AM »
I just read it and thought it was confusing and nearly useless, except for the policy stuff and the hit list at the back.  If you read all that fork in the law, fork in the facts stuff, you should keep going because the stuff you haven't read is the useful part.
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 06:12:58 PM »
I just ordered "Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams" on Amazon. I read through a few pages and found it to be extremely interesting. If I don't get through it due to boredom then I'll pick it up again during my first year. It's always great to have a book like this around in case I need some advice. Nevertheless, I do think that I will find "Getting to Maybe" useful now and will be better prepared for law school because I bothered to prepare.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN