Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Boalt vs CLS  (Read 2145 times)

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Boalt vs CLS
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »
it seems to me that people who post a thread like this are in one of two situations.

1) they have been dreaming about the "lesser ranked school" since they began to think about going to law school (for whatever reason ... a professor, a significant other, a family member, etc.); and though they have gotten into a "higher ranked school" they still can't give up their old dream school
 or

2) the person knows that the "lower ranked school" is the better fit for them, but reads LSD, talks to parents and attorneys, etc. who say (without listening to his pros and cons about each school) that CLS is hands down the better choice.

Luckily the schools in your scenario are two of the ten best in the nation.  If you want to go to Boalt I wouldn't think twice.  Frankly, if presented with the same situation I would probably pick Boalt as well.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 06:56:03 AM »
CLS students being miserable is far from the impression I get from talking to them. Maybe I've just gotten in contact with the lucky few, but that does seem like sort of a random statement to me.

nyu4ever

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
it seems to me that people who post a thread like this are in one of two situations.

1) they have been dreaming about the "lesser ranked school" since they began to think about going to law school (for whatever reason ... a professor, a significant other, a family member, etc.); and though they have gotten into a "higher ranked school" they still can't give up their old dream school
 or

2) the person knows that the "lower ranked school" is the better fit for them, but reads LSD, talks to parents and attorneys, etc. who say (without listening to his pros and cons about each school) that CLS is hands down the better choice.

Luckily the schools in your scenario are two of the ten best in the nation.  If you want to go to Boalt I wouldn't think twice.  Frankly, if presented with the same situation I would probably pick Boalt as well.

That's because CLS *is* the better choice.  Weather? 

Princessa1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 02:33:50 PM »
CLS students being miserable is far from the impression I get from talking to them. Maybe I've just gotten in contact with the lucky few, but that does seem like sort of a random statement to me.

I agree. CLS seemed pretty great when I visited and everyone seemed happy.
Harvard Law School, Class of 2010!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 07:24:40 PM »
I also thought CLS students were pretty happy when I visited, and the school overall seems like a great opportunity and experience.  Objectively, I do think that CLS has an advantage over Boalt, but they are both great schools and you can't go wrong with either choice.  Go with your gut feeling.

P.S. Congrats on your acceptances!  These are some great, great choices to have. :)
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

euphory

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 08:38:17 PM »
Boalt
you'll be happier.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 09:12:56 PM »

I agree. CLS seemed pretty great when I visited and everyone seemed happy.

seconded...and i will be another one of those happy CLS students in the fall  :)
Columbia 3L

euphory

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 09:18:46 PM »
well, i made my guess.  :D

azraelx9

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 12:32:44 AM »
Update:

The difference in atmosphere between CLS and Boalt was less "CLS is miserable, Boalt is happy" and more "CLS seemed less relaxed and laid back then Boalt."  Both Schools had happy students and wonderful people, just seemed like I would be more stressed at CLS.

AND now.. UCLA as an option with 37.5k/year, basically a full ride + 10k living stipend.

Is CLS and Boalt really 130-170k better than UCLA for someone that is 90% sure coming back to southern california?

qmmm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 12:37:50 AM »
No.