Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Princeton, Testmasters or Kaplan?  (Read 4803 times)

TNPIG

• View Profile
    • Email
Princeton, Testmasters or Kaplan?
« on: March 08, 2004, 10:16:50 PM »
I know this subject has probably been up here a billion times, but i would like to know the thoughts of folks out there who have taken classroom prep courses. I'm trying to decide between either Kaplan, testmasters or princeton. I've had kaplan as my number 1, but i'm just starting to learn about testmasters and I think they could be a better possibility. and princeton doesnt seem to impress me much. Please give your opinions and please also indicate how well you applied yourself during the course.

I would especially like to hear from those people in New York City.

Thanks very much for your input!.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Princeton, Testmasters or Kaplan?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 12:03:39 AM »
I too have followed many of the prep courses (PR, KAPLAN, TESTMASTERS, POWERSCORE etc) I am biased towards Kaplan's prep course becasue of a special circumstance, however when maintaining unbiased approach, my favorite would have to be testmasters and powerscore as a tie (based on what I have seen and heard) IMO yjese are equally the best preps out there along with the necessary materials (Logic Game's Bible, LSAC 10 Actual LSAT's, Master the LSAT and PR's Cracking the LSAT... just in case you were also looking at books and such, hope this helps, good luck!  :)
IVY_Hopeful
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

dsds3581

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 12:16:23 AM »
If you haven't already seen, there are threads here about Testmasters and Kaplan. They are still being posted on, so they won't be that hard to find. I took Kaplan, and I have PR's course books from someone who took the course, so if you have specific questions you can just send me a message.   

I agree, though--Testmasters or Powerscore would be better choices than Kaplan or PR, from everything I've heard. I also agree about Nova's Master the LSAT and PR's Cracking the LSAT being good study books.

keating

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 03:07:40 PM »
I would do the PR course. They have plenty of real LSATs and enough class time for you to get where you need. If you need help outside of class, they will gladly help you for free. I know someone who's taught PR classes and they definitely hire smart people! The training is very rigorous and they are very committed to your success. Cracking the LSAT is a great book but the course materials are even better. Definitely worth it.

DJ_JB

• LSAT: 145 avg (149 Highest) GPA: 3.07
    • MSN Messenger - j.herron@comcast.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - johnherron2003
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jwh014
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 08:26:28 PM »
I have taken the Kaplan course and overall rasied my score 7 points.  I did all the homework and worked my butt off.  I have heard testmasters is a much better choice, but wasn't offered in my area. 

I took the first LSAT with little prep and got a 142.  Then directly after the Kaplan course I took the Dec' LSAT and just bombed (144) it compared to my practice tests.  I was nervous and felt that the Dec LSAT was really difficult. 

Finally,  I took the Feb. lsat and took a break for awhile and pulled a 149.  It was still low for my practice tests, but I guess it will have to work.  I am applying to 3 schools that take the highest score so I hope it helps.

TNPIG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 09:57:30 PM »
thanks for all the input. i certainly appreciate your thoughts.

with the research i've done it seems like either powerscore or testmasters is the way to got. i like the fact that there are a few people from my alma mater on faculty at testmasters, but powerscore seems really strong.

ivy hopeful, if you dont mind answering, what was the special circumstance you referred to in your posting that makes you lean toward kaplan? i could still go that way, but kaplan seems almost too polished for me.

thanks again.

Victor

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 05:19:22 PM »
All powerscore material is from real LSAT  ;D
This is not the case with Kaplan and other!

Actually, that is not true. All LSAT questions used in the Kaplan course come from actual LSATs. That is Kaplan's selling point - the amount of PrepTests they have and the fact that they have explanations for all of them.

I teach LSAT for Kaplan, and would be happy to answer any questions anyone out there might have about the course, or even general LSAT or law school questions. I scored a 170 on the Feb. 2003 test.

My email is casette@msn.com

FYI - I have mixed feelings about Kaplan personally, so do not think I will give you misleading information or try to 'sell' the course to you. I do not profit in any way from telling anyone to choose Kaplan.

Also, as I have no experience with any other Prep courses, I cannot recommend any one over any other.

Chris

What area will you be teaching?