Law School Discussion

Poll

Newark vs Camden, which would you choose?

Newark
Camden
I don't know...I just like to push buttons.

Rutgers cage match ... Newark vs Camden. Which would you choose and why?

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
I am deferring a year, but want to have a school in reserve so that I know I am going no matter what. I want to do entertainment and intellectual property law.

If you consider rank, location, program, job opportunities etc.... which would you choose?

I am deferring a year, but want to have a school in reserve so that I know I am going no matter what. I want to do entertainment and intellectual property law.

If you consider rank, location, program, job opportunities etc.... which would you choose?

Pretty equal....Where would you rather work...NYC or Philly?

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
NY... way better for IP and Ent Law than philly.

Personally, Newark, but only because I'd rather live in Iraq than Camden, NJ...

I'm kidding of course (about the Iraq part), but even though Newark isn't Aruba, I'd rather live in its surrounding areas any day over Camden.  The schools are equally enough matched that it'd be enough to keep me in Newark (which is why I didn't even apply to Camden as a NJ option).

Neither will be great for NY opportunity, but I believe Newark holds the advantage there as well.

If you want NY, did you apply to St John's, Brooklyn, etc?

NY... way better for IP and Ent Law than philly.

In that case, I would say Newark has an edge over Camden

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
Yes, I also applied to all the NYC area schools. And am waiting to hear from all of them still. I applied really late, so I am going to defer to save up some $$ and use that time to retake the LSAT (159 1st time).

But I still wanted to hold on to one school so I don't go through the "what if I don't get in anywhere panic next year.

Yes, I also applied to all the NYC area schools. And am waiting to hear from all of them still. I applied really late, so I am going to defer to save up some $$ and use that time to retake the LSAT (159 1st time).

But I still wanted to hold on to one school so I don't go through the "what if I don't get in anywhere panic next year.

Ahh okay, well a 159 should get you into St. John's with a decent GPA, and I'd take that over both Rutgers for NYC, personally.

Just be careful, sometimes when you defer, I believe you are committing to attending that school the following year.  Look into it before you do so.

ResIpsa

• Procrastinatrix Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Newark, hands down.  I know plenty of Camden law students who are trying to transfer into Newark. On the other hand, I know of NO Newark law students trying to transfer into Camden.

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
Yeah, I have a 3.5 LSDAS GPA, BUT... my Degree GPA is 3.91 for the school I have been at for the last 4 years. I also gave them an addendum explaining the what brought it down initially. I met with one adcom, and he said they wouldn't even look at the LSDAS GPA with a split like that.

I spoke to someone in the admissions office at Rutgers-Newark, and I got the impression (from her saying "if you decide not to attend next year, you will just have to let us know by February") that it is non-binding on the part of the student.

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
Bumpity.