Law School Discussion

$$Brooklyn v. $$Depaul

$$Brooklyn v. $$Depaul
« on: April 27, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
I'm down to the wire on deciding between identitcal aid packages at Brooklyn and Depaul. I know I want to practice in media/publishing law in NYC and both schools seem to have a good range of courses in IP and media/entertainment law. Brooklyn seems to enjoy a strong alumni network and contacts in NYC but Depaul's IP center seems very dynamic and respected outside the Midwest. Any thoughts?

boulevardier

• Chicago!
    • View Profile
Re: $$Brooklyn v. $$Depaul
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »
The general rule is, excluding the elite law schools, pick the best school in the region you believe you will settle.

NYC is the heart of the legal industry.  Competition is tough with students from the top local law schools and the elite national law schools flocking to New York.  Brooklyn's location and alumni connections will give you an edge over DePaul.

Look at what schools go to DePaul's OCI and where the students place.  Search Martindale for DePaul lawyers in New York.  I haven't, but I'm pretty confident a DePaul degree doesn't get you as far as a Brooklyn degree (at least in the first couple of years after law school).

Go to Brooklyn.  Brooklyn Heights is great (but expensive).