Law School Discussion

We all should have been Computer Programmers...

We all should have been Computer Programmers...
« on: April 27, 2007, 10:34:55 AM »
Since we're moving for law school, I've been helping my husband look for a new job...He hasn't even sent out a resume yet, just posted on three job board (the local one for the area we are moving, monster.com & dice.com - tech job site). In one day he has gotten over 15 viable leads for positions in the area we are moving (even more if you count the ones out of town). Some are consulting, some he can work from home if chooses, some offer $$$ relocation assistance. Oh and all pay near the six figure mark!

Some background information should you care: My husband is mid-level experienced (7-10 years), but he is graduating college in three weeks with a degree in computer science (it took him 10 years to finish...went part time & went trekking around the world for a while.) BTW, his degree is froma  total no name state school.

Compared to how cutthroat getting a job as lawyers seems to be - Im so jealous!

jsbowen

• "Straight cash, homey"
    • View Profile
Re: We all should have been Computer Programmers...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »
Don't believe the hype :)  I've programmed before, as well as worked in consulting, general IT, networking, etc.

Jobs are usually easy to come by, if in the right market, but I've seen more programmers burn out than big law associates.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 01:46:18 PM »
Programming was actually fun (CS major), but much like writing, I only performed well when programming something interesting/fun. I think I would've hated to do it for work.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »
I'm a software developer right now.  It's quite easily the worst profession in existence.  It pays fairly well, but outside of that it's the most depressing, mundane work out there.  I've been at two companies, great ones at that, and both have been equally painful.

That is just my opinion of course.

jalong

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »
I'm a software developer right now.  It's quite easily the worst profession in existence.  It pays fairly well, but outside of that it's the most depressing, mundane work out there.  I've been at two companies, great ones at that, and both have been equally painful.

That is just my opinion of course.

Ditto.

Also, it seems to be so dependant on the market.  Sometimes jobs just fall in your lap (like now), other times I've had my paycheck bounce cause IT companies were all broke (2001-2002).

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »
I have two close friends who work with game development, and the stories they tell me is much like a couple of people have said here. You hit your salary cap fairly soon, which means you make a decent buck pretty early, but then any career ladder usually is at its end already. Working hours seems close to as bad as for lawyers, and I've heard plenty of complaints on the 'grunt work' feeling of it, the lack of creative room as you will generally be locked down on programming one very specific, very limited function etc.

I don't know, I've kinda calmed down on the idea that work is work; it's not meant to be the time of your life, it's meant to pay your bills and hopefully add up to some luxury treats every now and then. I do have another friend who is a lawyer, but works in a governmental agency and she actually considers herself quite happy with her job. 8 hour days, fixed vacations, no competitiveness and all of that. Pays around $85k, but I am assuming there might be a discrepancy in pay, since our taxes are also considerably higher.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
A member of my family is a programmer and barely makes $10/hour right now. She's always having trouble finding a job. It's only a field you should go into if you really love it (which she does). That's very nice for your husband, but not everyone is so lucky, honestly.

mae8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 05:43:39 PM »
someone in my family had a decent tech job at the director level with a large company a couple years ago, long story short he got out just in time when luckily a good offer out of state came in - about 50% of the directors were laid off weeks later as well as a decent percentage of lower level employees. at his new job as a senior manager he has already had to close down the companies tech operations in two cities completely. the jobs can be good but some markets are just horrible and have been for several years, it's great that you're going to a market where good tech jobs are still available, a lot of markets are pretty volatile.

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 09:13:33 PM »
I know several CS majors who would rather be shot than program. A lot of other people I know who do program work insane hours and don't have nearly so much growth potential as lawyers.

Like Mae said, the job market is pretty volatile. Most of the people I know who have 5+ years experience in the field have been laid off at least once, possibly more.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 09:21:24 PM »
i was a computer programmer.  i hated it.

paid well, though