Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 2000 times)

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« on: April 27, 2007, 06:42:06 AM »
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: Graduating UM After One Year?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 08:54:43 AM »
She kind of missed the point of high school and then missed the fun part of college. I wonder how many friends she had.....
UMiami c/o 2010

Pike#11

• Sr. Citizen
  • I wish I was here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:58:32 AM »
I saw this article elsewhere.  I really think this girl ought to take some time off school and get some life experience.  If she really had a 4.0 at UM and can get a decent LSAT score, she should be able to get in to a great school.  Even if she didn't want to move far away, you'd think she could get in to Michigan.
Attending:  Florida
Accepted:  American, Florida, Florida State, Temple ($36K), Miami ($69K), Baylor
Waitlist:  UNC
Rejected:  Berkeley, Georgetown, George Mason, Duke

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 09:09:37 AM »
I saw this article elsewhere.  I really think this girl ought to take some time off school and get some life experience.  If she really had a 4.0 at UM and can get a decent LSAT score, she should be able to get in to a great school.  Even if she didn't want to move far away, you'd think she could get in to Michigan.

if only she had asked us! anyway, if she did as you suggested, she wouldn't keep up with all the other prodigies. No one would know!

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:11:43 AM »
xoxo was really pissed about this girl.

I think this is a fair question, despite her graduating from UMich in 1 year: is she retarded?  I can see graduating in 3, maybe even 2 and a half if you have the AP and retro credits and go to Chicago (so you have no fun incentive to stay).  But 1 year from a public Big Ten school?!  I realize Michigan isn't Wisconsin or Penn State, but it's still got an okay social scene.  She just completely missed out on college.  And now she's going to Wayne State, essentially shooting herself in the foot by not using her unusual feat to score her admission to Michigan Law, or another t14.  A 4.0 at Michigan means a lot.  A 4.0 while graduating in one year probably gets her into Boalt with a less than stellar LSAT.

Good luck on getting to the Supreme Court from Wayne State r-tard.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 02:21:27 PM »
Actually I'd say that a 4.0 IN ONE YEAR isn't that impressive to adcomms, mostly because you'd taken fewer courses than someone who maintains that GPA for four years.  Probably explains why she's going to Wayne State Law now instead of MichLaw or another top school. 

Also, college is a time to distinguish yourself in other, non-academic ways.  Like everyone's been say, she completely missed the point of college (either socially, academically, or w/r/t/ extra-curriculars). 

She reminds me of those kids who do national spelling bee contests.  They're so focused on something so narrow that they miss the point of everything else around them (not to mention their ticks and social awkwardness). 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Booyakasha2

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dig to get jiggy wiv mr. biggy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 02:28:26 PM »
I have a hard time believing she "exhausted" all that Michigan had to offer her in a year.  If i were an adcomm, this girl's maturity and experience would be hihgly suspect. 

Maybe thats why shes going to Wayne State....prob one of the only ones who woul want a 19 year old that obtained the majority of her college credits from HS teachers and a community college.
Princeton Law 2010

Pugnacious

• Sr. Citizen
  • C'est law vie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
This just makes me sad.
My cycle is officially over. Boalt Law 2010!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=pugattack

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 06:00:45 PM »
What is Wayne State?...I have never even heard of that