Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP, once again  (Read 1194 times)

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
HELP, once again
« on: September 16, 2004, 08:26:57 PM »
Basically, I've hit a big ugly hurdle.  So far, I have written about my war experience, about my father's troubles, about my father not originally wanting to come to Canada, but him now realizing that it is the best thing for him, and he sees the opportunities present for his children here.  At the same time, I am proud of him, and though I certainly don't study for him, I do like to do well for him too.........

Now, _why do I want to go to law school_?  So far, I am again saying it is an opportunity I never thought I would have but that still isn't _why_...  I feel like I've painted myself in a corner because I feel that the theme is OK but it doesn't really directly connect with why I want to go to law school, other than 'I can't believe I have this option, I'm so flattered' kind of thing.  Any help?
No longer here.

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
Re: HELP, once again
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 09:06:58 PM »
I don't know if you can necessarily tie it directly to why you want to go to law school.  According to my PS books, that's okay.  You could just say something about how your family's struggles have shown you the value of an education/hard work, and you hope to use this as motivation in your pursuit of a law degree.  I know that doesn't sound great, but it's just an example.  if you work through it and mull it over a little longer, I know you find something good to say.  It's tough when you're applying straight out of college and you don't really have any career experience to tie to your law school goals, and adcomms know that.

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 09:08:38 PM »
I don't know if you can necessarily tie it directly to why you want to go to law school.  According to my PS books, that's okay.  You could just say something about how your family's struggles have shown you the value of an education/hard work, and you hope to use this as motivation in your pursuit of a law degree.  I know that doesn't sound great, but it's just an example.  if you work through it and mull it over a little longer, I know you find something good to say.  It's tough when you're applying straight out of college and you don't really have any career experience to tie to your law school goals, and adcomms know that.

How about not taking my education for granted, seeing legal education as a privalege, etc. etc.?  I just came up with it in the last 10 minutes but it may help me get the block out.
No longer here.

cali444

• Sr. Citizen
  • I, sir, am a lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 09:16:17 PM »

How about not taking my education for granted, seeing legal education as a privalege, etc. etc.?  I just came up with it in the last 10 minutes but it may help me get the block out.

Yeah, something like that could work out very well.  Just try to get something (anything) down on paper tonight along those lines, and re-read it this weekend.  It will get your juices flowing, i promise!  I wrote about 6 versions of my PS.  The final version is a completely different topic from the original one, but I think I needed all those previous drafts to work through it and get out the ideas that I really want to express.

i think you have the makings of a unique and interesting PS.  Some of the ones that I've read in my PS book have little or nothing to do with law school, but they just show something about the applicant that makes them look like an interesting person. 

long_gone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 09:21:31 PM »
Thanks for your help.  I'll do as exactly as you instructed.   :)
No longer here.