Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP!! Chicago-Kent vs. American  (Read 984 times)

bajocero

• View Profile
HELP!! Chicago-Kent vs. American
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »
I have a terrible headache about this desicion process. So far I have been in a lot of watlists: American, Maryland, University of Illinois. On Maryland and UI (which are my top choices) I am on the proprity or preffered waiting list... I don't know what chances I have here.

However, I have been accepted at Chicago-Kent with a 20k grant per year, and American just accepted me as a Part-Time Everning Program student. Not only it hurts in my pocket because I had to pay the 700 fee inmediatly, but also because I don't know if I should be going around spending all this money when I am still waitlisted in the other two, but I want to have room to choose.Is this a common situation?

I would like to work in administrative law, although as a graduate in International Relations I would also love to work in international law. Both specializations are government related for which American becomes appealing yet EXPENSIVE! On the other hand Chicago-Kent seems nice with regards to money, and because it is well known for its writing program, trial advocacy, but it seems to me it is mostly a local school and my chances of getting good jobs are reduced to Chicago.

Any advise? PLS HELP!!!
Accepted: American, Chicago-Kent
Waitlisted: Maryland, Rugters-N, UI
Denied: Northwestern, Michigan, Emory
Pending: Brooklyn

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP!! Chicago-Kent vs. American
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:01:09 PM »
Well, I'll just give you my two cents worth - and anybody that knows me will tell you that I cover ALL angles.  I, too, am accepted at WCL for the PT night program.  It's going to be class from 6p-8p M-T and then two additional hours one of those nights for Legal Writing and Rhetoric.  If you're ultimately concerned about the cost of living while at WCL, being PT will certainly allow you ample time to find a 25-30 hr/week job, all the while maintaining a healthy study habit.

If you're interested in international law, I would say WCL should be your handsdown choice.  I say this also with the confession that I know very little about the Chicago-Kent curriculum. 

I can give you an idea of what the cost of WCL will be since I've crunched the numbers.  You'll be looking at 1 PT year, 2 Summer Terms and 2 FT payments.  It will equal approximately $180k...but keep in mind that summer associateships do tend to pay quite well if you're fortunate enough to land a good one.  You'll be looking at $61,500 in Stafford loan at, for now, 6.8% and the remainder, $119k in PLUS loan at 8.5%.  If rates stay the same, you're Principle+Interest payment will be around $2500/mo for 120 month term.  BUT keep in mind that if you use two federal loans, you can consolidate them at a lower rate.  Since the bulk of your loan will be at the higher rate (PLUS), any drop in rate will significantly drop your payment.  I think I used a CitiBank estimator and it dropped somewhere from $400-550/mo or something...it was enough to ease my mind.

With that rant over, you ultimately need to figure out where you want to work.  Both Chicago-Kent and WCL will place moderately well outside of their own area, but they are still ultimately regional schools in theory.  Both Chicago and DC are mega law markets...so I think it ultimately comes down to the decision of where you want to end up.  Best of luck mate!
Winner Chicken Dinner (Attending): American WCL!!!

Friday Night Drinking Club!!

bajocero

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
Interesting, when I was crunching my numbers I also arrived to the conclusion that my three yrs (aprx) in American would cost me 180K. That is more or less 80k more than what it would cost me attending to Chicago-Kent(101K).

Chicago-Kent also has an interesting International Law Program or at least some projects that sound appealing in Eartern European countries.I don't know how accessible is to enter into those externships tough...  It also has a certificate in public interest law that they relate to administrative law. Yet for what I have experience as a major in international relations (living in Miami where there is no many places to work in that major) everyone goes to washington to work in these fields and I am afraid that the same ends up happening if I graduate in chicago, although I could end up working in some admn. agency in chicago or for the state of Illinois? Do you know if Chicago has opportunities of this sort?

Anyway thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it specially knowing we might end up in the same school! :)

Americanlaw10

• American WCL '10
    • AOL Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - UKSoccer525
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »
As I mentioned before - I really don't know anything about Chicago-Kent and/or Chicago job market.  It was never an area that I looked in to.  I applied to Depaul only b/c they gave me a fee waiver...other than that, I really had no interest in the area.
Winner Chicken Dinner (Attending): American WCL!!!

Friday Night Drinking Club!!

bajocero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »
Well, just to close up this conversation and tell you a little bit about my findings I just cambe back from Chicago and althoug I haven't gone to Washington yet to visit American I think I am definitly leaning over American:

1. As you said it is specialized in international law and has a wider variety of programs dedicated to this end and it also has a lot of courses for  administrative.
2. DC has more opportunities with respect to this specializations and the chances of getting externships are greater
3. I will most certaily meet more people who share my interests than in chicago(although I must say it is a beautiful city and cheap to -compared to Miami or DC).
4. Is near home and  the east coast is better known to me. I think I won't feel as far and isolated (even if I am in one of America's biggest cities).

So this is what I have for now, in other discussions I mentioned other possible but the debate Chicago-Kent Vs. American is pretty much decided. I still have to DC though (I have only been there as a tourist).

Thanks for your help.

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 01:22:47 PM »
I have a few questions:

1. Where do you want to practice ? (duh)

2. Can you transfer into FT after a yr at American or do you need to do the 4 yrs PT?

3. What are the terms of the Kent scholarship?

bajocero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »
1. I definitely like east coast. Washington D.C doesn’t sound bad since most of the persons I have known that have share my interests have ended up living there (you know international relations, economic research, government). Also, I would consider coming back to Florida if I can get a job that is related to that here (not many of them are here though) and finally NY as it has a lot of non-profit organizations, government agencies and international organizations.

2. Yes, within a year I can get into FT with a letter from the dean and if I do summer I can graduate in 3 yrs.

3. The terms, they give mi 20k a year provided that I keep my grades up. Tuition is about 33k

:)

ChiSox07

• View Profile
    • LSN Site
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 03:09:31 PM »
Regarding the Chicago job market, it is the second biggest legal market in the country after New York.  Kent does well placing grads in firms, although there is a lot of competition from local schools like U of C, NU, UIUC and Loyola.  Salaries are high at the big firms coming out of law school, and cost of living here is cheap relative to DC or NY.  If you don't mind moving, and want to work in a firm, Kent is a great option.  However, if you're serious about wanting to stay out east and working in international/government law, American has the definite advantage.  Also, Kent really isn't that portable outside of Chicago/Midwest.  That also should be something to consider.
Boston College 2010!

Staying on WL at UIUC and ND

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=DaveFox05

gator005

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 09:45:47 AM »
bajocero, I see that you were admitted off the American waitlist. Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? Did you mark both full time and part time on the waitlist sheet? Did you send in a LOCI? I would greatly appreciate any info. I'm hoping to get off their waitlist!!

bajocero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 10:31:11 AM »
bajocero, I see that you were admitted off the American waitlist. Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? Did you mark both full time and part time on the waitlist sheet? Did you send in a LOCI? I would greatly appreciate any info. I'm hoping to get off their waitlist!!

Thank you ! :) My numbers were 3.87 GPA 151  :-[ LSAT  and yes I marked both and well got into the PT program. I didn't send I LOCI (I didn't even know this was a good idea back then, know I know...). I hope you do get off the waitlist and hope to see you next fall if you do  ;) Good Luck!