Law School Discussion

Mediocre-to-Possibly-bad grades last semester--Important to Law Firms?

Ok, so I have developed a severe case of senioritis. The fact that I'm only taking nine credits, and all of them are incredibly boring requirements that I should have taken freshman year, only adds to this. My grades will probably be less than stellar this semester. Does anyone know if law firms ask to look at your college transcripts during 1L recruiting, or even beyond that? I heard something along these lines once, but I'm not positive.

I should hope they don't look at them because I am in the same boat with you. I'm taking classes that I put off from freshman year, and I have senioritis, and needless to say, this semester is less than spectacular for me as well.

I guess if a law firm doesn't hire me because I didn't do that well in "Mathematical Explorations," I don't want them anyway, right?

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
I would not expect that to be an issue no. I've heard from first hand applicant that Wachtell requested both college and high school transcripts, but this is the only firm I've heard this about, and this was a direct interview, not OCI if that makes any difference.

I would not expect that to be an issue no. I've heard from first hand applicant that Wachtell requested both college and high school transcripts, but this is the only firm I've heard this about, and this was a direct interview, not OCI if that makes any difference.

ewww...I hope that is not the case for most of them...I am proud of my college transcript but high school not so much..

Now to add to this...what would they possibly need your HS transcript for? If you haven't always been a straight A student, they don't want you???

As of yet, no interviews have asked for transcripts from UG.

A few asked me for an UG GPA for 1L jobs, and I think if you're going to IP law it's much more popular to ask for UG transcripts even for 2L SA positions.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile

ewww...I hope that is not the case for most of them...I am proud of my college transcript but high school not so much..

Now to add to this...what would they possibly need your HS transcript for? If you haven't always been a straight A student, they don't want you???

That was the impression he got, but I do not really know, he just told me he was asked to bring this and was quite surprised. He got the job, but I have no idea how far back his "straight A" record went.

That was the impression he got, but I do not really know, he just told me he was asked to bring this and was quite surprised. He got the job, but I have no idea how far back his "straight A" record went.

I think you can get out of sending in a HS transcript because it could lead to age discrimination. Generally it's something you leave off resumes for that reason. Not everyone goes to college straight out of HS, so there's no real way to tell how old someone is unless the HS info is there.

As far as law firms go, not that many do ask for Undergrad transcripts. I believe Foley and Lardner does, but that's all I have first hand knowledge of. However....

You should be aware that quite a few Federal Circuit and District Court judges want to see undergrad transcripts as well as Law Sschool transcripts when they are looking at Judicial Clerkship applicants. The majority don't, but probably a quarter or so do.

Now whether or not one bad semester will do you in, I don't know, however, it is something to keep in the back of your mind. Especially when you're interviewing for these positions from an elite law school that doesn't give you "grades" or class rankings in the normal sense. That last semester at college may stand out then.

But if you're worried about that and clerkips, just don't apply to Judges that want to see undergrad transcripts. Same with Law firms that want undergrad transcripts.

Ok, so I have developed a severe case of senioritis. The fact that I'm only taking nine credits, and all of them are incredibly boring requirements that I should have taken freshman year, only adds to this. My grades will probably be less than stellar this semester. Does anyone know if law firms ask to look at your college transcripts during 1L recruiting, or even beyond that? I heard something along these lines once, but I'm not positive.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
I think you can get out of sending in a HS transcript because it could lead to age discrimination. Generally it's something you leave off resumes for that reason. Not everyone goes to college straight out of HS, so there's no real way to tell how old someone is unless the HS info is there.

I see your point, but wouldn't you normally print your birthdate on your resume anyway?