Law School Discussion

Loyola 2L giving honest answers about tier 2 unemployed misery

Re: Loyola 2L giving honest answers about tier 2 unemployed misery
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2007, 11:00:50 AM »
I'm not remotely close to the top 10%, and I'm being paid 2400/week this summer. 

Moral of the story?  The jobs are there, just have to find them.

It's dishonest to present the exception as the rule. Enjoy your lucky draw, but don't claim it's a reasonable expectation. Who hooked you up? I know a sub-median L2L who got a great firm through family friends.

« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »
I don't know why people like Keno or JSHM, who don't have to worry about tier 2 unemployment, feel a need to lecture us about it.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »
And by what definition is he the exception and not you?

« Reply #163 on: April 27, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
Keno, I don't think seeking out anecdotal "advice" (right, Loyola2L hasn't been that helpful) is an indication that any of us wanting to attend a Tier2 are too idiotic to understand how loans and scholarships work. I just am curious about what exactly the employment statistics actually mean, and if Loyola2L or anyone had any credible input on this, it is helpful.

Just because USN reports 62.7% employed at graduation and 96.4% employed does not mean that I know how many grads are underemployed at jobs that won't really help with their loans, or at some work they hate because they were forced to take this job. And I'm sure I don't have to spell out the fact that it scares me that according to that stat, 4/10 grads don't have jobs at graduation. At NYU, 97% of their grads have jobs at graduation. Of course , this means I should go to NYU over Loyola, but this obviously isn't an option!

For those of us facing the decision to attend a Tier 2 school it does make sense to try to understand the reality of the employment statistics, because even when we get a sense of how in-debt we're going to be, the employment stats are what I am partially using to determine how easy it will to pay off the debt.

That being said, I appreciate that some people (Keno, etc) are seeming to try to be more optimistic than Loyola2L is by pointing out that he is basically whining on this board. I think if I take advice like that of Matthies and work my ass off hopefully I'll make the top 10% and network well. It's just that when you are about to shell out $100k for a school not in the top 20 it's hard to ignore the complaints.

Realism is always better than optimism. If your plans have too many improbable "ifs" (if I make top 10%, if I make a golden connection by networki) then they might not accurately reflect your future.

« Reply #164 on: April 27, 2007, 11:09:02 AM »
And by what definition is he the exception and not you?

The job placement stats. You know those things you looked at when you picked NYU over Brooklyn? You're a hypocritical ass and your posts are dishonest.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 27, 2007, 11:18:58 AM »
Running out of arguments so you're starting to get angry instead?

So, what job placement stats are you looking at then?

« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2007, 01:02:14 PM »
tag - for fun

My two cents: If I can make $37K a year to stuff envelopes and do data entry (the position is called "Marketing Coordinator" & required a degree)..you can find a job after law school!

And while Loyola LA is a bit different in that its in HUGE legal market with a T20 schools nearby, I think it is a terrible generalizaiton to assume that all people attending T2's are going to have the same problem as you. I'm from Milwaukee and Marquette University Grads are very highly regarded and sought after in the city/state. And thats low T2, was T3 last year!

Maybe I'm a hardass but I've never gotten ANYTHING in this life handed to me for free & the whining on this board just really get to me...through this I've learned to take control of my destiny and push on until I reached my goals. If you want something really bad, you can get it. You just have to be proactive and persistent.

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »
I'm not remotely close to the top 10%, and I'm being paid 2400/week this summer. 

Moral of the story?  The jobs are there, just have to find them.

It's dishonest to present the exception as the rule. Enjoy your lucky draw, but don't claim it's a reasonable expectation. Who hooked you up? I know a sub-median L2L who got a great firm through family friends.

I'm not saying it's the rule, dumbass.  I'm saying that it can be done if you're persistent and smart.  I own a multi-million dollar business; I'm not some pud who sits there and waits for what career service vomits out. 

And no one helped me.  If you weren't born with a big enough penis, I'm sorry, but don't take it out on me.

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »

Maybe I'm a hardass but I've never gotten ANYTHING in this life handed to me for free & the whining on this board just really get to me...through this I've learned to take control of my destiny and push on until I reached my goals. If you want something really bad, you can get it. You just have to be proactive and persistent.

Amen.  Do these 0Ls understand how many Southwestern/Cal Western/etc grads have some office by the freeway and can buy and sell Yale grads at Latham?  It's many more than you'd expect.  Why?  Because some of those people have taken control of their life, have a vision, make a plan, and execute the plan.  Sitting at Jones Day taking the allowance-earning sissy path is not the only way. :)  You have to grab your nuts and roll the dice; for many, it pays off.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »
I like grabbing my nuts ;)