Law School Discussion

University of Texas Class of 2010!!!

DJ JD

Re: University of Texas Class of 2010!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 11:20:32 AM »
I'm going to UT, barring last-minute acceptances from UCLA or Penn....

Hook 'em? (I'm from LA, and at the time, I wasn't too happy about that Vince Young TD...)

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 11:51:45 AM »

Hook 'em? (I'm from LA, and at the time, I wasn't too happy about that Vince Young TD...)

Welcome fellow southern californian. I'm sure you won't be bitter about longhorn football for too long  ;)

Speaking of... what do we have to do to get season tickets?  I'm pretty damn excited, I now have Big Ten, ACC, and Big 12 teams.

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »
Good call...

What do we need to do make sure we get tickets? Some schools reserve a certain amount for students, etc... but I'm guessing that's not the case here...
I am one Californian stoked for some Longhorn football.

UCSB Football, undefeated since '92

uesi

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »
Alright! I just dropped off my deposit. See you all in the fall.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 01:44:27 AM »

Welcome fellow southern californian. I'm sure you won't be bitter about longhorn football for too long  ;)

Speaking of... what do we have to do to get season tickets?  I'm pretty damn excited, I now have Big Ten, ACC, and Big 12 teams.

Purchase the Fall Longhorn All Sports Package AND purchase the Student Season Tickets. You'll get emails about it sometime, but just be sure to buy both.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 02:21:49 AM »
2. It's true that I don't know the demands of my prof, but I know the demands of profs generally, and there is an undeniable uniformity (to a large extent) of the material covered in law school (hell, the 1st six classes are universally the same). This general uniformity is enough to work with when trying to get a very broad and basic intro to the material.
3. I don't know specific reading assignments, but I know landmark cases, and the black letter law is necessary for any of the first year classes. May as well start learning it now. I.e. what's assault? what's battery? What's a unilaterl/bilateral contract? what's subject matter/personal jurisdiction? what's a longarm statute? etc. These are just concepts that anybody can get a basic understanding of  . . .how can that hurt? If it's taught differently, then I can supplement/assimilate the new material.

How can this hurt?

Generally - If you want to prep and enjoy reading law for fun, go ahead and do it. Just be aware that simply reading the textbooks/hornbooks over the summer might mess with you for a variety of reasons. For example, if you read the Torts book written by the UT Professors, you may be surprised to find out in class that the Professor disagrees with nearly half the cases. If you went ahead and read the Property book, you may be disapointed when the vast majority of your reading comes from supplementary materials. You may find yourself pre-disposed in a certain way that could interfere with your full enjoyment and appreciation of the class (there is a reason we don't just learn the law from books afterall).

There can be a surprising lack of uniformity between the professors in the first year courses. One Civ Pro professor won't even mention the phrase "Erie Doctrine" while the other will spend a week on it. One Property professor will spend the entirety of the semester on the common law while the other will have you knee deep in statutory language inside a month.

I say - just enjoy your summer. Overall, it just seems better to start law school with a fresh mind because there really isn't anything you can do to put yourself "ahead". Whatever you all end up doing, hope it works out!

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 07:54:09 AM »
2. It's true that I don't know the demands of my prof, but I know the demands of profs generally, and there is an undeniable uniformity (to a large extent) of the material covered in law school (hell, the 1st six classes are universally the same). This general uniformity is enough to work with when trying to get a very broad and basic intro to the material.
3. I don't know specific reading assignments, but I know landmark cases, and the black letter law is necessary for any of the first year classes. May as well start learning it now. I.e. what's assault? what's battery? What's a unilaterl/bilateral contract? what's subject matter/personal jurisdiction? what's a longarm statute? etc. These are just concepts that anybody can get a basic understanding of  . . .how can that hurt? If it's taught differently, then I can supplement/assimilate the new material.

How can this hurt?

Generally - If you want to prep and enjoy reading law for fun, go ahead and do it. Just be aware that simply reading the textbooks/hornbooks over the summer might mess with you for a variety of reasons. For example, if you read the Torts book written by the UT Professors, you may be surprised to find out in class that the Professor disagrees with nearly half the cases. If you went ahead and read the Property book, you may be disapointed when the vast majority of your reading comes from supplementary materials. You may find yourself pre-disposed in a certain way that could interfere with your full enjoyment and appreciation of the class (there is a reason we don't just learn the law from books afterall).

There can be a surprising lack of uniformity between the professors in the first year courses. One Civ Pro professor won't even mention the phrase "Erie Doctrine" while the other will spend a week on it. One Property professor will spend the entirety of the semester on the common law while the other will have you knee deep in statutory language inside a month.

I say - just enjoy your summer. Overall, it just seems better to start law school with a fresh mind because there really isn't anything you can do to put yourself "ahead". Whatever you all end up doing, hope it works out!

This seems like solid advice. Also, it seems like inside information that I couldn't possibly have known on my own. Thanks -- leo

ResIpsa

• Procrastinatrix Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 12:19:29 PM »

dont forget about the relays.

also, austin city limits and SXSW plus a million other music festivals.

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 07:31:11 PM »
Hello fellow Longhorns... LSD lurker here looking forward to starting UT in the fall.  Thanks to Electrical Storm for the info in your numerous posts.

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 11:57:53 AM »
Has anyone been able to get more financial  aid money from UT after submitting their seat deposits?