Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Being an attorney, and being caught with Marijuana/marijuana pipes  (Read 1531 times)

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Being an attorney, and being caught with Marijuana/marijuana pipes
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »
One of my friends who is a lawyer is an open marijuana smoker, and I am just curious if he ever were to be caught for posession, could he get disbarred for that? If so, doesn't really seem like it is worth the risk at all to me.

haha, you do keep posting threads about this...don't worry, i am quite sure you're not alone. smoking pot is very common, and as long as you aren't doing it in the park while you're determining who gets a celebrity's dead body, no one will know. there are worse things you could do...

umass22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 12:15:05 AM »
wow you guys are harsh   :'(

Irish?

• Is that why he looks so angry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »
Stop harshin' my buzz narc.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 09:50:40 AM »
out of my class of 131, i know at least 30 who are using someone else's prescribed stimulants, and a couple who are fairly heavy coke users.

i sure am glad i went to rehab *before* i came to law school
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Ever162

• Sr. Citizen
  • SMU 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 12:30:41 PM »
Do you ever lift with your back instead of your legs?

Why would you abuse your body like that?
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all, the details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 02:32:11 PM »

Smoking weed is not absuing your body. In fact, for some people (i.e. people with certain kinds of chronic disorders), it can actually help relieve symptons. Anyways read: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/26/MNGAKJ2S481.DTL&type=science for a study on how pot smoking is not related to lung cancer (in fact, scientists found that smoking marijuana might help prevent lung cancer). And if you are worried about the toxins from smoking marijuana, a vaporizer would be the best and healthiest way to go: http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizerstudy2.html.

In any event, if you go to the bar to have a drink, you have no right asking why someone would abuse their body, as alcoholic causes more deaths and more damage to your body than marijuana. Just because it is legal doesn't make it healthy or healthier.
Penn Law '09

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 02:37:31 PM »
What people do on their own time without hurting anyone else is really their own business, and I think/hope most people would agree. That being said, getting caught in public using illegal substances would probably be a bad idea if your law firm found out, very likely not the sort of attention they would want tied to their name.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »
What people do on their own time without hurting anyone else is really their own business, and I think/hope most people would agree. That being said, getting caught in public using illegal substances would probably be a bad idea if your law firm found out, very likely not the sort of attention they would want tied to their name.

Agreed.
Penn Law '09

Ever162

• Sr. Citizen
  • SMU 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 03:02:35 PM »

Smoking weed is not absuing your body. In fact, for some people (i.e. people with certain kinds of chronic disorders), it can actually help relieve symptons. Anyways read: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/05/26/MNGAKJ2S481.DTL&type=science for a study on how pot smoking is not related to lung cancer (in fact, scientists found that smoking marijuana might help prevent lung cancer). And if you are worried about the toxins from smoking marijuana, a vaporizer would be the best and healthiest way to go: http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/vaporizerstudy2.html.

In any event, if you go to the bar to have a drink, you have no right asking why someone would abuse their body, as alcoholic causes more deaths and more damage to your body than marijuana. Just because it is legal doesn't make it healthy or healthier.

Uh, I wasn't ripping on weed.
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all, the details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 06:50:35 PM »

That being said there were lawyers who were known to be meth users working in our county.

i was in rehab with a couple of them.  not those particular to your county, but you know what i mean
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD