Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: turning down yale  (Read 14111 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: turning down yale
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2007, 11:12:43 AM »
This is not true. Attic4fp and other yale undergrads often have a high number of friends and acquaintances in the law school, usually through friends in years above who went on to YLS. I myself happen to not know any law students (to my knowledge) except for the ones who graduated and still hang out with undergrads. Very sad.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2007, 12:00:41 PM »
This is not true. Attic4fp and other yale undergrads often have a high number of friends and acquaintances in the law school, usually through friends in years above who went on to YLS. I myself happen to not know any law students (to my knowledge) except for the ones who graduated and still hang out with undergrads. Very sad.

"a high number"

un huh.

Perhaps. I'd still be reluctant to listen to an undergrad about the law school.
YLS c/o 2009

Catherine Morland

• Sr. Citizen
  • the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2007, 12:08:56 PM »
Moglida,
Not sure if you've made your decision yet, but the newest student perspective has been about choosing law school for a practice area (environmental law specifically, but I think it's applicable). http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/5041.htm
0102 SLY

The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid. - Jane Austen

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2007, 12:09:57 PM »

"a high number"

un huh.

A) Don't be a jerkoff.

B) Ask Attic.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2007, 12:11:52 PM »

"a high number"

un huh.

I take your point, but since most of us are 0L's here, I find the perspectives of Yale undergrads on a law school that is around the corner to be more reliable than most of the other opinions on the same subject.  So while there is probably a lot that the Yale UGs don't know, I am confident that they know more than most of us about the law school, which is helpful.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2007, 12:17:27 PM »

"a high number"

un huh.

I take your point, but since most of us are 0L's here, I find the perspectives of Yale undergrads on a law school that is around the corner to be more reliable than most of the other opinions on the same subject.  So while there is probably a lot that the Yale UGs don't know, I am confident that they know more than most of us about the law school, which is helpful.

Oh, let me back up, Yale UGs can give really great advice about the law school. I just take exception to the  generalizations of the law students by undergrads. Sorry about that Jalong.
YLS c/o 2009

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2007, 01:09:55 PM »

Oh, let me back up, Yale UGs can give really great advice about the law school. I just take exception to the  generalizations of the law students by undergrads. Sorry about that Jalong.

fair enough.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

moglidabear

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2007, 03:15:16 PM »
Just writing to thank you all for your input! After much deliberation and talking with a Yale prof who concurred that Yale's Intl Law offerings were slim to none, I deposited at Columbia. Columbia's offerings in intl law and labor are more or less equivalent to NYU's, and like NYU, my scholarship comes with a mentorship component.

Come finals next year, I may regret my decision. But in the meantime, I'm looking forward to living in the city and graduating with modest debt.

Yale Law is a very happy place and I am sure you will enjoy LOVE your time there. I will definitely be swinging by for the Rebellious Lawyering Conference!
Good news from: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia (Hamilton), Boalt (scholarship), Yale, NYU (IILJ scholarship)
Waiting to hear back from: Penn.. supposedly lost my application!

Slow Children At Play

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2007, 03:31:33 PM »
Just writing to thank you all for your input! After much deliberation and talking with a Yale prof who concurred that Yale's Intl Law offerings were slim to none, I deposited at Columbia. Columbia's offerings in intl law and labor are more or less equivalent to NYU's, and like NYU, my scholarship comes with a mentorship component.

Come finals next year, I may regret my decision. But in the meantime, I'm looking forward to living in the city and graduating with modest debt.

Yale Law is a very happy place and I am sure you will enjoy LOVE your time there. I will definitely be swinging by for the Rebellious Lawyering Conference!

Unexpected (given the direction of the conversation to this point), but congrats on making a decision!
Attending: HLS 2010... boo ya!
In: HLS, CLS(W), NYU(W), UMich(W), UVA(W), Berkeley(W), NWestern(W), Duke(W), ND(W), G-Town(W)
Waitlisted: YLS, UPenn (W), SLS (W)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=SlowChildrenAtPlay

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2007, 03:34:55 PM »
Yea it is odd...I figured if anything, you'd be at NYU...but we are glad to have you!!!
Columbia 3L