Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: turning down yale  (Read 13504 times)

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: turning down yale
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2007, 03:44:08 PM »
ehm as a current yalie, i would say don't go here. the law students are like yale kids 2.0. not my bag.

What are yale kids like?  I get the impression that anywhere that I would want to go to law school is going to be full of people who are used to substantially more privileged lifestyles than I.  But isn't that why people want to get into a good law school in the first place?  To attain or maintain their social and economic upperclassedness?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

moglidabear

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2007, 03:46:35 PM »
ehm as a current yalie, i would say don't go here. the law students are like yale kids 2.0. not my bag.
yale law or yale undergrad?
Good news from: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia (Hamilton), Boalt (scholarship), Yale, NYU (IILJ scholarship)
Waiting to hear back from: Penn.. supposedly lost my application!

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2007, 04:03:23 PM »
Bonks is Yale undergrad. And the overall student disposition is of course extremely subjective. I certainly do see where she's coming from, though. Yale almost certainly gets a number of people who come precisely (and even solely) because it is number one, which presumably is not the kind of person you're going to want to be friends with. Unless you are that person, in which case, it's not a drawback.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2007, 04:26:43 PM »
I met ofelia at Stanford.  She's really sweet.  She didn't apply to Yale because of 1) New Haven and 2) the extra essay.  Tis a shame, because she and her SO, who's also sweet, would've gotten in and might've been swayed!

I also met ofelia and her fiance at Stanford.  They are really nice and amazing people-- definitely not flame.
SLS '10 and now working.  PM me if you want to get in touch!

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2007, 04:55:25 PM »
Bonks is Yale undergrad. And the overall student disposition is of course extremely subjective. I certainly do see where she's coming from, though. Yale almost certainly gets a number of people who come precisely (and even solely) because it is number one, which presumably is not the kind of person you're going to want to be friends with. Unless you are that person, in which case, it's not a drawback.

I think most  law schools have their fair share of people who went because it was ranked number X.  This characterization is true, but I think it applies everywhere.  The hope is that most people go to their schools because they find that they fit in there.

Omaha8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2007, 09:48:49 AM »
I just enrolled at HLS over Yale, so hopefully that will open up a WL spot for youall.

jalong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2007, 09:49:56 AM »
I just enrolled at HLS over Yale, so hopefully that will open up a WL spot for youall.

yay!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=jalong

Saints: Rutgers ($$$), NYU ($)
Sinners:
Saveables: Columbia (WL), Harvard (Deferred -> WL), Penn (WL), Georgetown (Preferred WL), Yale (WL)

Looks like:  NYU '10

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2007, 09:54:52 AM »

Sorry to lose you, but I'm glad you made the decision right for you.  Best o' luck!
Yale.Law.School.2010

Omaha8

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
Thanks, Denny.  best of luck to you at Yale (you can always transfer to HLS if you don't like it  ;))

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2007, 10:30:36 AM »
yale law or yale undergrad?

I find it highly doubtful that an undergrad would have any meaningful perception of law students. Certainly take this poster's advice with a grain of salt. It would be like me making a judgment about the college based on my negative perception of the UGs (you'll hate them too...they crowd the cafeteria). Incidenally, HUG is better than YUG.
YLS c/o 2009