Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: turning down yale  (Read 13996 times)

moglidabear

• View Profile
Re: turning down yale
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »
it's exciting hearing your perspectives on faculty...tell me more!
Good news from: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia (Hamilton), Boalt (scholarship), Yale, NYU (IILJ scholarship)
Waiting to hear back from: Penn.. supposedly lost my application!

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2007, 12:22:24 PM »

Anything specific?  I'm not sure there's more we can say aside from the fact that Yale's faculty is superb.  Then again, so is NYU's.  I don't think you'll be disappointed by the faculty at any of the schools you're considering. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

moglidabear

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »

Anything specific?  I'm not sure there's more we can say aside from the fact that Yale's faculty is superb.  Then again, so is NYU's.  I don't think you'll be disappointed by the faculty at any of the schools you're considering. 

well, most of my anxieties about Yale Law concern classes and teaching. I wasn't wowed when I read the course bulletin... my sense from the class descriptions was that classes were reminiscent of undergraduate seminars, and that it would be hard to engage subjects in depth.

That said, I am not working with a lot of information (since my materials have not arrived, just course bulletins and stuff from the Yale website), so I would enjoy hearing your perspectives based on your visit.
Good news from: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia (Hamilton), Boalt (scholarship), Yale, NYU (IILJ scholarship)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »

well, most of my anxieties about Yale Law concern classes and teaching. I wasn't wowed when I read the course bulletin... my sense from the class descriptions was that classes were reminiscent of undergraduate seminars, and that it would be hard to engage subjects in depth.

That said, I am not working with a lot of information (since my materials have not arrived, just course bulletins and stuff from the Yale website), so I would enjoy hearing your perspectives based on your visit.

I actually found the course descriptions to be more interesting than the descriptions for comparable offerings at other schools.  I'm not quite sure what you mean about not being able to engage subjects in depth at Yale.  I would imagine that precisely because the learning environment is so intimate at YLS that you would be able to go explore the subject matter more in-depth than you would in larger settings.  What is it about other schools that you think would make it easier to engage subjects in depth?  The larger course selection?  I don't see how having a class in seminar-format could be a detriment to anyone's learning experience, unless they thrive better in lecture settings.
Yale.Law.School.2010

Butters Stotch

• Sr. Citizen
  • Well you can all just go to heck.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Here is someone who not only chose Harvard over Yale, but who did not even bother applying to Yale:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ofelia

If this isn't a BS account,  :o
I don't want to do it if it hurts or if it makes you get all sticky.

letylyf

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2007, 10:09:54 PM »
I don't think it is... she wrote on my LSN once. She said she just couldn't stomach the idea of paying full price for law school when she knew she could get full scholarships elsewhere. Then again, if she is going to Harvard, that doesn't really make sense.

I guess that doesn't definitively prove anything, but whatever. It looks more real to me than a lot of others on there.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2007, 10:16:46 PM »
Lots of highly qualified and potentially competitive applicants choose not to apply to Yale.  Turning down Yale is not an unusual occurence.  It's just significantly less common than accepting an offer from them.
Yale.Law.School.2010

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2007, 01:05:51 AM »
I met ofelia at Stanford.  She's really sweet.  She didn't apply to Yale because of 1) New Haven and 2) the extra essay.  Tis a shame, because she and her SO, who's also sweet, would've gotten in and might've been swayed!

moglidabear

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2007, 05:41:01 AM »

I actually found the course descriptions to be more interesting than the descriptions for comparable offerings at other schools.  I'm not quite sure what you mean about not being able to engage subjects in depth at Yale.  I would imagine that precisely because the learning environment is so intimate at YLS that you would be able to go explore the subject matter more in-depth than you would in larger settings.  What is it about other schools that you think would make it easier to engage subjects in depth?  The larger course selection?  I don't see how having a class in seminar-format could be a detriment to anyone's learning experience, unless they thrive better in lecture settings.

It's not the seminars that I object to.. I agree with you 100% that its a great way to learn. I am just concerned by the fact that all of the international law classes are survey courses.. classes that paint a really broad brush.The most exciting, topical courses are clinics in my estimation, of which there are a gazillion.. but I don't think most people go to law school to stack their schedules with clinics. I mean, at other schools, its not even allowed.

I am sorry if I sound overly despairing.. I mean, at the end of the day, most people would argue that its not that serious. I guess I am just disappointed that the Yale/NYU split is so all or nothing

bonkers1234

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2007, 03:17:14 PM »
ehm as a current yalie, i would say don't go here. the law students are like yale kids 2.0. not my bag.